Transplanting Autoflowers into the ground outside after 4 weeks in pots under lights?

Guerilla Dr

Hi guys, my plan is to germinate my Auto seeds inside at the beginning of May and to put them under grow lights in smallish pots due to limited grow space. They will be on a 24/0 light cycle for 3-4 weeks then I will move them outside into my Polyethylene greenhouse for a week with my other Photoperiod plants so they can adjust to the UV. Once they are 'hardened off', I will plant them into the ground around mid June, at the same time as the rest of my plants, where the autos will take another 4-6 weeks to finish.

Now I know everyone says that you shouldn't transplant Autoflowers and I partially agree but there are a few good reasons for me doing this. Firstly I can only use smaller pots to begin with when growing under lights due to limited space. Secondly leaving them in pots means multiple watering trips to my site, weather permitting, but I expect I will need to water every 3 days which means at least 8-12 watering trips alone, compared to say 1 or 2 trips if they are planted in the ground. That would be a lot of additional work on top of my already tedious workload. The other reason is that frequent watering trips will create paths to my site and I will also increase the risk of getting seen and arousing suspicion as there are a lot of dog walking paths that the locals use daily. I will definitely look suspicious if they spot me more than once with a backpack! So leaving Autoflowers in pots is definitely out of the question!

So what I want to know is... will I get away with starting Autoflowers in pots and then transplanting them directly into the ground after 4 weeks? Or will this adversely affect my yield and final product? Anyone have any experience with this? I cannot find information about this anywhere online!...??

Re: Transplanting Autoflowers into the ground outside after 4 weeks in pots under lig

9 times out of 10 when an Autoflower is transplanted, it's growth will be stunted. If it gets any kind of chance for the roots to reach the edge of the pot, then it will assume it's out of room. It's height will limit and begin bud production. Theoretically you could get away with it so long as the roots don't fully developed and take hold to their container.

Back
Top Bottom