Transplanting ideas and tips!

gutman121

Hey guys new to the site but not new to growing. Just looking for advise about transplanting. What i normally do is germ in paper towel, move to dixie cup. At 3 weeks i transfer to a 1 gallon and at 6 to 7 weeks i transfer to a 3.5 or 5 gallon depending on the strain. Now i have noticed ever time i transplant from 1 gal to 3.5 or 5 gal there is a tromendous amount of shock. They eventually recover but i just wanted to see what has worked for everyone else... any suggestions? Btw i run 4-4 foot florescent bulbs for germ and veg then transfer to hps for flowering... its alot cheaper and my plants love it.

My first guess is that the transplant from the 1 gallon to the final container, the soil could be breaking apart a bit and causing damage to the roots.

I germinate directly in dirt, in a small 3" pot. Once I have 4 full size leaves I transplant into their final containers. I tried a 3/4 gallon pot once and the soil broke apart on me during a transplant. So I don't bother with the middleman, so to speak.

I fill the next size pot with the old one hanging in the middle.I fill the bottom and sides with soil and water.picture this a 3gallon pot with a empty one liter in the soil.I just move the 1 liter pot a little and it pops rite out leaving a hole the same size as the pot I'm about to transplant.hope this helps.

FWIW. I don't think I've ever had a plant go through anything like shock over being transplanted. The only thing that comes to mind that caused me problems is the times I've put a small plant into a large pot of wet (or wet and cold) soil- causing it to suffer root damage from sitting with wet feet for far too long. As long as the plant is being transplanted into a hospitable environment they generally thrive- even if I treat them quite roughly while transplanting. It helps if they are 'ready' to be transplanted- and have enough of a rootball that the soil stays together while transferring it- but I've also had several plants in one pot before, broken the root masses apart, and repotted, and they grew just fine. So I wonder if some other factors are causing problems?

If transplanting is causing your problem, don't do it. Start the seed in the same pot you want to flower it in. Your roots will thank you.

That is exactly what I do. Put the seedling right into a hundred gallon smart pot - if that is your final goal.

But, if not .... I do this (for example). Take the one gallon pot with the plant in it and get it fairly wet. Fill your hundred gallon pot with dirt and get it wet too. Then dig out a hole in the middle, put the one gallon pot in and fill it in. Pack it. Pull the one gallon pot out leaving a perfectly shaped and sized hole. Tip the one gallon upside down and shake the plant out, drop the now empty one gallon pot and fit the plant and dirt into the perfectly shaped hole you made - should slip right in. Pat it down. Done.

No shock.

Also, never transplant in full on hot sun. Never transplant on a windy day.
The water you use to wet the plant and soil should not be ice cold, it should be the ambient temp.
No nutes the day of transplant, or the day after.
The less stress the better. Do it in the early morning and shade the plant the first day.
Reduce stress.

~ Auggie ~

Yea, or whatever.

If you are going outdoors, in the spring, with a plant that will grow the size of a tree (Blue Dream) you can't go into too big of a pot. The more room those roots have, the better.

If you're indoors doing a SCROG then, a three gallon is enough.

Point is, if you know what size yer going into, just transplant once.

~ Auggie ~

Well I do it even a little different. I trim the roots to encourage more roots and even growth. Like topping and or FIM'ing you get more offshoots.

approx. 45 days in these cups. Bottom leaves are starting to yellow.
P10102801.JPG

Prepared on surgery table
P10102823.JPG

One horizontal cut approx. 1 inch all the way through removing the bottom.
P10102831.JPG

3 to 4 vertical scores into the roots
P10102841.JPG

new home
P10102812.JPG

Water and tamp down lightly. All done
P10102851.JPG

Hey Weasel I'm with you I germinate and transplant 40-50000 plants a year. I actually transplants these all at least twice. I have never had an instance where my plants were shocked or stunted. I also agree with Scarfinger, I actuall rip or cut root balls apart when I transplant. This includes my autoflowers. I typically see an improvement in growth within 24 to 48 hours. I do not feed new transplants until 48 hours after planting when in containers. But in the field where I run my plants through a water wheel type tranpslanter they get fertilized when I set them. They are pulled out of their cells pretty roughly sometimes and jammed into a hole filled with water while the tractor pulls it across the field. Again they thrive. God I LOVE plants!

Back
Top Bottom