Transplanting Question - After solo cups should I transplant too 1 gal or 3 gal?

StayLowKeyBro

I will be starting them in red solo cups. My question is should I transplant them too a 1 gal or 3 gal pot after they out grow themselves in the solo cups? My final size pots will be 10 gallon. I would like to transplant them too 3 gallon pots after the red solo cups but I'm not sure, I don't want it to hurt the root system or anything or slow down it's growth. What do you guys think? I'll be using soil. Plan to have them in the solo cups for a couple weeks.
Thanks to anyone that takes their time too reply to my post.

how do your plants react when you transplant them? Do they grow vigorously when you put them in a new pot or do they slow down a little before starting to pick back up again?

how do your plants react when you transplant them? Do they grow vigorously when you put them in a new pot or do they slow down a little before starting to pick back up again?

Sometimes they slow down a bit and sometimes they keep going. It depends on how much stress they suffer during the transplant. Just take your time and handle them carefully. Make sure the medium in the new pot is evenly moist to minimize stress.

When it comes to transplanting the rule of thumb is to double the container size every 2 weeks; this is about how long it takes the roots to fill their container. So you are looking at at least 3 or 4 transplants. Moisten the new soil before putting the plants in each time, it will help them grow a bit quicker. It doesn't hurt to water them again once the transplant is complete.

i dont allways do the solos. sometimes, i do the 1.root riots. 2. half gallon. 3. 4 gallon final. i have gone from cups, right into the fours. i just did this again, with the ice and ww. they seem to like less number of "stresses". but, done correctly, mine never stress. i put the plant, in the cup, in the center of the dirt, in the pot. fill it in. water the cup, and the pot. then, pull the cup out, tap out the plant, and put it into its perfect cup form, you just made. no stress. and alllways nice and neat. i put a pair of plants outside, this year, leaving them, in the four gallon pots, on purpose. they were not a match for the one in the ground, and, they were little taller than the inside plants. so. root mass is the yeild builder.

That is EXACTLY the way I transplant Canni - slip the smaller one right into the hole ... all wet - no muss. The plant doesn't even know its been transplanted .. no stress. I even do it that way when I plant outdoors.

~ Auggie ~

So you put the solo cup into the next pot your transplanting into lets say 3 gallon and place the whole cup down into the soil then take the cup out of the soil and then just place the plant in the hole that the cup just made? That seems like a really good idea actually! I will try it out. Thanks for the tip!

I'm just a Newb, but I think it depends on you, I've done both and it has worked out fine. If you tend to be rough when you transplant or are a little uncertain I would go straight to a 3 gallon if you are confident with transplanting I would do a 1 gallon then 3, and let that root ball get dense. Don't let those roots touch dry soil, remember to moisten it before transplant.

So you put the solo cup into the next pot your transplanting into lets say 3 gallon and place the whole cup down into the soil then take the cup out of the soil and then just place the plant in the hole that the cup just made? That seems like a really good idea actually! I will try it out. Thanks for the tip!

Yup. That's the recipe. Just make sure that the soil (both of them) are wet.

~ Auggie ~

Plant them in the largest container as soon as possible for even proper root structure....if they will be in 10 gl for bloom..then get em in those and leave em..1-2 transplants total...solo cup..straight to large container..they will explode hell of a lot faster...use house n garden amino acid...roots will get like ropes before bloom..go in my profile and look at some roots.

Back
Top Bottom