Treating Depression

I've gone through the sensitization protocol and I understand the principle behind the "herbal holiday", in fact I recommend it all the time, but I can't make myself skip a day. I don't deal with depression, but I'd probably consider switching between strains before I'd consider taking a day off.

Does anyone else have any success with either taking that day off or, alternatively, toggling between strains, and if so, would you be willing to share your thoughts with us? The more information we share the better we can refine the process.

I know I suffer from anxiety and depression and I do stop for awhile after trying a strain. Its almost a detox. I'll smoke a strain for a couple of weeks and then just stop to get it out of my system and then try a different strain. There definitely needs to be more studies on this issues and other medical issues.

Each and every day is difficult with depression and I have been getting E.C.T. or electro convulsive therapy to the temple. Smoking is a much more acceptable solution.

Hi Sativica,

I have depression and have also had ECT. It's been about year since my last treatment. I'm a casual smoker turned medical marijuana patient. What helped a lot was finding that sativas helped me the most. Through my dispensary I was able to find the right stuff to medicate with. I've gone from 7 pharmaceutical medicines to 4, I credit this to cannabis. I'm hoping you will find the right combo.

Be well

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Finally a thread where I belong lol. Bipolar depression treatment. As well as pain and inflammation
It's a change of thinking for me. If suicidal. Take a few hits. And I don't think about dying anymore. It's not the best use but when nothing seems worth living for and you found something fun healthy and you enjoy. Then poof it helps. PM me if you want to talk details.

Finally a thread where I belong lol. Bipolar depression treatment. As well as pain and inflammation
It's a change of thinking for me. If suicidal. Take a few hits. And I don't think about dying anymore. It's not the best use but when nothing seems worth living for and you found something fun healthy and you enjoy. Then poof it helps. PM me if you want to talk details.

Suicidal thoughts and ideation almost consumed me. Cannabis has saved my life.

I'm very new to this app and am not sure how to PM yet. Thanks for the offer though!

Be well

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Since I first posted in this thread I've found the strain that works better for me than any I've ever tried before. That is Golden Tiger, by Ace Seeds. I love the other sativa strains I'm growing, but I can always see the minor aspects of them that I don't love as much- mainly a certain amount of speediness that keeps me from smoking as much as I'd like to. The GT seems to hit that sweet spot of just making me feel good, nothing else. Which is what made me come to post it here. I'm just really impressed at how it actually makes me feel happy. It seems to help put me in a good mood all on its own. I feel smiley, high, but perfectly functional and happy to be busily doing whatever I'm doing. If I oversmoke it- I end up in a mild happy catatonic state, but not a catatonic state that's so bad it carries any shame or guilt with it, as sometimes happens to me with other strains.
I think probably everyone has a slightly different idea of where that sweet spot is, but I'd definitely recommend this strain to anyone who's looking for an uplifting and functional sativa smoke.

I actually found for many years that smoking does make me more depressed in some ways. It took half a lifetime to find out that this is an effect that Indica strains have on me. When I smoke indica I experience a lot of confusion, forgetfulness, and paranoia, which eventually subsides a bit, but as the high wears off I feel very cloudy and impaired. I think way too much, and beat up on myself mentally for feeling anxious and stupid. The next day I feel cloudy, and always have the urge to smoke again to try to 'wake up' - then the same old cycle begins again.
All I smoke now is pure sativas. I think I won't touch indica strains or indica/sativa crosses ever again.
I haven't tried all sativas by any means, but my favorite strains so far are the Thai ones. It makes me feel energized, awake, and happy. If there's any problem at all it's that I want to stay awake all night being busy. I don't have any paranoia or feeling of impaired functioning. I also feel no hangover or cloudiness the next day.
I'm not saying that this will be your experience, but it is important to note the differences between sativa and indica. Also- edibles can give you a much different high than smoking. As can vaping.
Here's another tip which I haven't tried or looked into much but was told about by a friend on this forum. It sounds a bit strange but from the little bit of googling I did appears to be a legitimate method. Apparently eating black pepper, or sniffing it, previous to medicating works amazingly well at relieving anxiety. Google that. :thumb:
Hope this helps. Good luck.
That indica and sativa strains would produce a body/head high has never really been proven, it is a general idea that its like that but every strain, every situation, every person, every day is a different chemical composition and therefore it has really nothing to do with the plant how you feel when you're being high. A state of being high really just enhances any feelings that you already have inside you, an intense high with paranoia often comes from the way that your weed has been cured and what chemicals has been used (youre not only inhaling thc!)
I have suffered from anxiety for years and smoking does help me, i did however notice a dramatic change in how I felt while being high after I started growing my own and I don't use pesticides and cure my weed for at least 3-4 weeks even before making edibles.

Peace!

#fuckcorporatepharmacy
420-magazine-mobile833962918.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935F using 420 Magazine Mobile App

The CBD's and CBN's in Indica plants are much much higher than in Sativas. Sativas have virtually NO CBD's or CBN's. Indicas put you down when you smoke them. Sativas just let you SOAR!
There are high cbd strains of sativa as well :)

Sent from my SM-G935F using 420 Magazine Mobile App

....it has really nothing to do with the plant how you feel when you're being high. A state of being high really just enhances any feelings that you already have inside you, an intense high with paranoia often comes from the way that your weed has been cured and what chemicals has been used (youre not only inhaling thc!)

I have to strongly disagree with this. I'm not sure what facts or experience you are basing this information on (?),but I've been smoking for over thirty years and have been at this issue from every possible angle, and I'm not at all deluded about the different effects of different strains. Paranoia is a much recognized side effect of cannabis use and isn't based on 'feelings I already have inside'. Paranoia and deep uneasiness, in varying amounts, is unfortunately what I feel when I use indica and indica crosses. Sativas bring a different feeling. So far I haven't smoked any pure sativas that give me those indica effects. To say it's imaginary is just plain wrong. I've been growing my own for ten years. There are no toxic chemicals in my herb making me paranoid. I could quite easily tell you which of my strains I'm smoking in a blind test. As far as detecting the difference between an indica high and a sativa high - that would be about as difficult as telling the difference between hot and cold. It would be impossible to not know which is which. I can easily tell if a strain has even a little indica in its genetics. It's absolutely 100% clear which one is which, end of story. Lol.
Do you grow sativas?

That indica and sativa strains would produce a body/head high has never really been proven, it is a general idea that its like that but every strain, every situation, every person, every day is a different chemical composition and therefore it has really nothing to do with the plant how you feel when you're being high. A state of being high really just enhances any feelings that you already have inside you, an intense high with paranoia often comes from the way that your weed has been cured and what chemicals has been used (youre not only inhaling thc!)
I have suffered from anxiety for years and smoking does help me, i did however notice a dramatic change in how I felt while being high after I started growing my own and I don't use pesticides and cure my weed for at least 3-4 weeks even before making edibles.

I couldn't disagree with you more. This isn't an effect people imagine, it's directly tied to the entourage effect of cannabinoids and their attending terpenes. Each strain has a mix that will engender a somewhat predictable response, given an average consumer.

True, each plant, each grow, each individual consumer...... the variables are numerous. That in no way discounts the fact that when I use an indica, any indica, it effects me in a way completely different than a sativa.

This is science, not fabrication. The entourage effect is a real event and it's experience on individual consumers is very real as well. If you're treating depression start with a sativa. If you're treating anxiety try the indica. If you're treating both, reach for a balanced strain. Those guidelines were born from clinical experience with patients.

Back
Top Bottom