Treezzz 1st Grow - Bag Seed - White Widow in Soil

treezzz

hey everyone. I've been reading the how to grow section of this site and several grow journals over the last couple weeks in preparation for my first grow. I have already learned so much and thank you to everyone who has contributed priceless information that will hopefully keep me from making some stupid mistakes over the next few months. here is the info on my grow:

What strain is it? random bagseed for now, waiting on white widow seeds in the mail from Amstredam
Is it Indica, Sativa or Hybrid? What percentages? the bagseed appears to be a sativa judging by the smoke but other than that I have no idea. White Widow is a hybrid I believe
Is it in Veg or Flower stage? seeds just cracked yesterday
Indoor or outdoor? indoor, but i plan on taking some of them outside when it's not too cool to see if this has any positive effects on them
Soil or Hydro? soil
If soil... what is in your mix? fox farms ocean forest and perlite
If soil... What size pot?
Size of light?
Is it aircooled? gatorade bottles with tops cut off then 5 gallon buckets
Temp of Room/cab? around 75 F
RH of Room/cab? I believe this means humidity... if so around 60-70 percent for now probably less for veg and flowering
Any Pests ? I hope not...
How often are you watering? When the top of the soil appears or feels dry for now... less later on
Type and strength of ferts used? I haven't decided yet between the complete fox farms line which the guy at the hydro store suggested and will cost around $250 or a cheaper 3-part system to start with. I am very open to suggestions in this area.

In the last 3 days I've been germinating my bag seeds using 3 methods to decide which is most effective for when my white widow seeds get here. I did batch 1 (8 seeds) in a shot glass for 12 hours then put them directly in soil, batch 2 (8 seeds) in paper towels until they sprout (and 5 have so far) and then put them in starter cubes in a humidity dome, and i put batch 3 (10 seeds) in water for 30 hours then in starter cubes in the dome. I have my seeds under 24 hours of light from two 1200 lumen, 6500 K CFLs and i have 4 more ready to add more light. Does anyone know if it would be a good idea to add additional light now, before they break ground; and also is it a bad idea to use gatorade bottles as containers because the light can get through to the roots? Any advice on my grow in general would be much appreciated. Should have pix of my set up and such up soon :thanks:

Re: treezzz 1st grow- bagseed, white widow in soil

hey treeez sounds good, cant wait to see some pics of your setup. i'll be following yours too. goodluck!!

Picture_1100.jpg

Picture_424.jpg

Picture_340.jpg

my box for now
Picture_273.jpg

Picture_517.jpg

plans for my box as soon as i get a little money
Picture_693.jpg

sorry about the out of focus shaky pics haha. my seedlings are getting a little taller every day. there are 9 now that are sprouting. there are a few that germinated but haven't popped up yet. right now i'm working witha acardboard bow painted flat white, some cfl's, a computer fan, and a bigger fan but as soon as i get a little money i'll be building a seedling box out of wood and coating it with mylar and as these plants get bigger i'm going to build a second larger room out of wood and get a 1000W MH/HPS

Your plans are very detailed and from the looks of it you may want to go with a 600w. It looks like you are building an enclosed box approx 2.5ft x 4.5ft x 5.5 tall. A 1000w will heat up this area fast and may possibly be overkill. I would go with a slightly bigger box or a 600w to save you some aggravation later. I've been there is all ;-)

Your plans are very detailed and from the looks of it you may want to go with a 600w. It looks like you are building an enclosed box approx 2.5ft x 4.5ft x 5.5 tall. A 1000w will heat up this area fast and may possibly be overkill. I would go with a slightly bigger box or a 600w to save you some aggravation later. I've been there is all ;-)
hey 4twenty thanks for the tip. my 1000W is gonna be in my bigger grow room that i build after that one. it's going to be 5x7x6h. this is probably more than enough space for an air-cooled 1000 right? i'm just going to use this first cabinet for seedlings and early veg and i'm gonna start with just CFL's in it. Thanks again for the advice

hey 4twenty thanks for the tip. my 1000W is gonna be in my bigger grow room that i build after that one. it's going to be 5x7x6h. this is probably more than enough space for an air-cooled 1000 right? i'm just going to use this first cabinet for seedlings and early veg and i'm gonna start with just CFL's in it. Thanks again for the advice

Well then, you already had it planned. I should have known by the details in your diagram ;-) Plenty of room, great work! I like when someone can design something on their own and make it work. I'll be keeping an eye on this, plus I like White Widow...

Great detail work! Sub'd.

Prior to germination they don't need much light. Even as 2 week old seedlings you have plenty of light for them. Just keep the light 2-4" away.

Personally I would not use anything that was not 100% opaque for growing. Gatoraide bottles are too transparent for me but may do ok if you transplant to opaque containers quickly once the seedlings get established with a set of leaves or two.... THough not 100% transparent Solo cups are a cheap alternative and have fairly good light blocking ability.

Good Luck!

Well then, you already had it planned. I should have known by the details in your diagram ;-) Plenty of room, great work! I like when someone can design something on their own and make it work. I'll be keeping an eye on this, plus I like White Widow...
haha thanks. i really like designing stuff and drawing plans. if you or anyone ever needs anything drawn up just let me know and i'll do it for ya. actually my white widow seeds i ordered from amstredam aren't coming cause i sent a regular money order instead of international so i ordered some kush from BC :)

update! i transplanted the starter cubes into soil today. i'm using happy frog. i'm experimenting with about 1/6 perlite in the bottom of 2 of the pots to see if it makes a diference. i believe happy frog comes with perlite mixed in as well from the looks of it. here are some pictures i took today :)
temporary set-up
Picture_721.jpg

alll 13 babies together
Picture_811.jpg

close-up of #2
https://www.420magazine.com/gallery/data/504/Picture_912.jpg
close-up of #7

Picture_1210.jpg

close-up of #1 i think... if memory serves
Picture_1115.jpg

and a blurry picture of the plans for my flowering room
Picture_1310.jpg

sorry about the post being in 2 sections... i accidentally submitted it before i was ready

here is a little more information about the transplant today:
i used gatorade and powerade bottles painted black and with holes in the bottom, a coffee container, half a soy milk container, and large yogurt containers as pots.
i kept 13 of my plants under my lights and moved 4 outside cause i didn't have room for them and got rid of the seedlings that weren't doing as well as these 17.
i watered them until water came out the bottom with regular filtered water.

i hope they all continue to do well through the transplant process. in one week i plan on giving them their first feeding using my earth juice nutes that arrived yesterday.
:peace:

hey everyone! update time! my friend sold me his 96W 2' T5 unit today for $75 which is a pretty good deal considering the ballast/reflector is $125 new and the bulbs are around $8 each. And he only used it for one grow!!! he used it for veg, but its too small for the way i want to veg but it'll do great for seedlings and clones later i think. here are some pictures

Picture_2010.jpg

https://www.420magazine.com/gallery/data/829/Picture_1910.jpg

here is a picture of my whole set-up at the moment. i get paid tomorrow so construction of my first box should be starting soon :cheer:

Picture_1513.jpg

and here are some close-ups of the plants :)

Picture_1810.jpg

Picture_1710.jpg

the big guy. i think i'm gonna call her julian after the character on Trailer Park Boys. if anyone hasn't seen this tv series/movies before then you should. it's hilarious

Picture_1610.jpg

and last but not least... my thermometer/humidity meter

Picture_2110.jpg

as you can see, my humidity is pretty high and i'm considering getting a dehumidifier. i've read that high humidity is good for seedlings and clones especially but detrimental to older plants. does anyone know when is a good time to switch from a higher humidity level to a lower one?

lookin awesome treezzz! i honestly can't wait to see your grow boxes once they're finished, those plans look amazing! how old are your seedlings now? i've heard you should wait to use nutes until your plans have roughly 4 sets of leaves on them, and when you do only use about 1/4 strength...dont wanna see those babies gettin burnt now! good luck with the grow brotha, i'm subbed!

They do look great! You will want to have 50% humidity or less during flowering to help prevent bud rot. I would invest in a dehumidifier if you feel that in 4 or 5 weeks it will be the same.

In my climate I will lose humidity as I have to turn on the heat in my house. Right now I am at 55%. In the coldest part of winter I have to humidify as it gets down to 15% in my grow room.

i think that sounds about right on the nutes. they're 5 days old at the moment and i am planning on giving them their first weak feeding on day 7 of veg. they have 3 pairs of leaves at the moment so that should be about right. i'm also going to test it on the smallest one first just to make sure its not too much :morenutes:

i'm about to go get an air stone stone to aerate my earth juice "tea" with catalyst, micro, and grow. does anyone happen to know if i am using earth juice microblast which is a microelement supplement, will i need additional cal/mag or should it probably be ok? i plan on giveing them 5mL per gallon of microblast per week, if that helps

Back
Top Bottom