Trials and tribulations of the new guy

Beands

Hey all,

Long time member (apparently), first time posting...
Not the last..

A bit about my experience(s)... trials and tribulations..
I've attempted to grow a few times, (probably first found my way here one of those times)
And once again, through frustration, have found my way back... like a lost sheep, only this time, I hope to pass on some wisdom or at least some form of help to someone else who's come seeking advice.

I first attempted about 10 yrs ago: bag seeds, some random useless dirt from the backyard in a 10 inch planter and a 100 watt plain ol' light bulb inside a wooden cabinet about the size and shape of the ones from high school....and a farmin' I shall go

Needless to say....I went through many seeds. I had very close to 100% germination rate with those bag seeds, but once up they quickly withered to nothing. The cotyledon's would lose color, and bear too much weight for the weak stem. A few months later, I thought "why bother?" and gave up.
Later I learned how I made many mistakes, from over-watering, light too high from the plant, the dirt was really unusable for mud at best, and I was getting nowhere trying to emulate what I had seen in magazines and online for how-to's.

A few years later, I read more information on the actual plant, did some research into things and felt brave enough to give it go yet again.
Better bag seeds, miracle-NO, and I grabbed a 16 inch halogen tube this time ( a little cooler I thought). Again, germinate like a pro,and get tall withering fails.

Got super frustrated and even built mini support stands, rescued them along to get a first set of leaves and if the stem didn't shrivel to nothing and die, it would be nutrient burnt and die.

I was keeping the lights too high up, the soil was way too harsh for a baby seed. pH-wut-now? no more tap water, only distilled from now on.

I got a second 16" halogen, and even a special plant bulb, moved them closer, and they still stretched and burnt. Managed to get one to grow, got 7 inches talll, a whole whopping little nug on it... harvested and dried 1.2grams!!
Boy was I proud!!!
It was harsh, gross and a whole lot of effort to get nothing off it.
Spent $160 online for a LED grow panel, and did it all over again and again, after several months of this, seed after seed, 6 at a time hoping one would make it.Learned about the flush I while withered seeds until I was able to nurse one to take, and got up to 10" tall, harvested 3.4g, and the pride over shadowed how much time and effort went into it. Not as harsh, but still no buzz.
Quit...., this is way too much apparently.

I was sick of seeing prices and strains and quality and things in magazines that I could never buy from any street pharmacist I've ever frequented. Swore off even buying those mags when I literally uttered the words:

"I would sure like to know who/where/how H*** T***s (or whoever sent the info in) got their hands on "blueberry" at $150/ounce when I cant get any better than mediocre nameless for $220 in friggin Saskatchewan..........must be some elite toker club in SK somewhere"

I've lived in AB and SK for most of my toking life, and this was unheard of. Not by me, my friends, my "friends"....nobody I ran into really had access to good stuff. HAD good stuff before, sure..but not normally.
So where does this stuff come from?
Hellbent, I was on a mission to get my hands on something more like what I was seeing in the magazines.

Since embarking on that journey, I've come to find the stuff of legends to be rare. I've tried a few very amazing strains, but was very quickly back to accepting "it is what it is" and trying to enjoy it for all it was worth.

And once again, I'm back at the growing/drawing board.
Armed to the teeth with research. I will do this.
I found one particular site to be extremely helpful, and it has been my go-to site, my bible, my home online.
Again with the bag seeds, now with some CFL's, built a wooden frame 2' long x 3' wide x 3.5' tall. LED grow panel in box ceiling, exhaust fan on top. Got some coco and away we go.
I got 2 bag seeds to germ no problem, I got them jiffy pellets...doin good, second, third sets of leaves and roots poking through the jiffy.....I got this, I got this...
Transplant the jiffy's in pots of coco, get up to 7" tall, 9" tall on the other and all hell breaks loose! Deficiencies, burning, overwater/underwater, ph, root rot, root bound, one struggle after another.....quickly, I started reading anything and everything I could find. I believe I found my solution on here , reading about someone else having nothing but trouble with dirt. "all I can do with dirt is get dirty" I read...yup sounds like me.

so..... hydro.... can I save this pathetic attempt? Found some journal or advice saying to convert to hydroponic, deep water culture, there's a 67% success rate in doing this the one grower stated, so giv'er.

I went through 3 different styles of rubbermaid tubs, and now settled both plants in one tub together, with an emily air pump and stone, a small water pump and I did a transplant. Water level an inch below the baskets and water pumped to the top of the coco/root mass to prevent steady fresh supply of oxygen rich nutrient water 24/7. WHAM, she took off! Grew like nobody's business!! I was expecting a week to recover, nope, overnight they responded very happily.

Soon they were both displaying female pistillate, auto?hmm so switched to flower, and a week later 3 hermie parts each plant....cut them off quick, unfortunately one had fully opened and ....my poor girls.....I got some seeds now, so close. It's been a ride and a half.. all the growth explosions, the pretty flowers, lots of hairs, i'm winning, I'm winning......and ruined.
Thought I'd throw in the towel yet again, I'm not comfortable buying online anything let alone for "this"...
Thought I'd chop it down..well....
Today, the short girl stands 20"s, and the tall girl 24 1/4"! I had to build a bigger box!!
seeds started nov 17th, lights on 18/6 starting nov 20th, switched to 12/12 flower mode Jan 20th and planning to take her down March 30th. finish what I started, pick out seeds and it's no better than anything else I can buy so try and enjoy it yet again...

Remember up there? I said I got this?
Hold on...I aint done...
I plopped yet one more little experiment bagseed on Jan 13th. I'm gonna abuse the poor girl like a rented mule, and get me my hands on some QUALITY GENETICS for once and go buy some!
Local Hydro guy carries Crop King!! got me some good stuff now!
(I'm going to do a journal there so be on the lookout for that REAL soon)
As for the Rented Mule Experiment....Growing it like a Zen-Butcher , LST...or HST...., I let her get 5" tall with 4 nodes. Bent and tied over, and switched to flower Jan 20th.
"Run Forest, run"
kinda looks bonsai tree, crazy root development, fast growth. Seems to like the abuse.
I'm gonna be shy with pictures of these bag experiments, they're franken-embarrassing learning junk....I'll try to update the progress on those here as I learn to use the site more over the next bit.

what have I learned this far?
KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID
do your homework and KISS
let it be, its a weed, its easy.... it can take abuse
Don't know why I had to learn the hard way, hope someone else doesn't have to. Just don't overthink it.

SORRY FOR THE LONG READ FOLKS!! (this bowl's for you)
Hope someone can make use...(or at least sense) of this!!

PS:
Arteekay, I have been following your Crown Royale CKS journal from the shadows....excellent looking lady!
You, sir, have inspired me.... to try Crop King Seeds, log it here and hope it helps others.... and of course...to not throw in the towel just yet. Excellent journals!
I'll be following you and subbing once I figure this site out more!!
(hope I tagged him..a lil help mods??)

Welcome beands, glad you decided to join us. RTK is quite the example of some good Ole ocd grower's fever. You will do good by him I'm sure. Let us know when you start that journal yourself. We'll be watching with anticipation...

KiG :green_heart:cheers

Glad you decided not to throw in the towel
RTK has a great grow journal and he is also a great member who is always willing to help a brother out when they are having issues.
What does it take to grow good weed? Just a little research and with all the info available here on 420 you will be able to find everything you need to know right here. May your next grow be the 1st of many successful grows.

Back
Top Bottom