Trichomes: Theory To Practice Using A Microscope, Help Needed Please

SQl2kGuy

Hey everyone ... I hope this thread proves to be educational for many new growers like myself.

What I am trying to do is to relate the photos of trichomes on a RoyalQueenSeeds tutorial to actual photos I took today using my microscope.

0_microscope.jpg

MoKo WiFi USB Digital Microscope

Here's the current scenario:

*** Post Date: August 16, 2019.
*** Medium: I am growing in FF Ocean Forest soil with 30% perlite.
*** Strain: Canuk Seeds Cheese.
*** Current Stage: Day 4/ Week 11 ... Day 74 ... late flower.
*** It got its pistels on Day 7/ Week 5 ... Day35 ... early pre-flower.
*** It is in the final 2 weeks of bloom.
*** Final bloom flush was on August August 13, 2019.
*** I am currently feeding full dose bloom nutes and watching the trichomes.
*** My current strategy timeline: Flush, Full-On Bloom Nutes, Stem Split, Three Days Dark, Harvest!

*** This was my very first time using the microscope to try and get photos.

*** My goal is to harvest when there are a mixture of cloudy trichomes and amber trichomes ... and even more amber trichomes to help with sleep.

*** I need to understand better what I am looking at here ... and if I need to take better pictures of the trichomes to make a decision, or if these pictures are good enough.

*** Do I need more magnification?

*** Do I need a better angle?

*** Do I look at the top of the bud?

*** Do I look at the sugar leaves?

*** Are these trichomes clear or cloudy?

Here are the pictures I took today that I need to understand better:

2019-08-16-131859.jpg

Photo 1

2019-08-16-131320.jpg

Photo 2

2019-08-16-131625.jpg

Photo 3

2019-08-16-132008.jpg

Photo 4

2019-08-16-132205.jpg

Photo 5

2019-08-16-132747.jpg

Photo 6

2019-08-16-133204.jpg

Photo 7

Thanks in advance!!!

@SQl2kGuy Popped over from the Chemdog thread to see your photos with your new microscope.

I can only share with you how I do it. What I personally look for when checking the trichromes. As an example I will use an Indica dominant strain grown to help as a sleep aid. I never look at the trichs on the sugar leaves, only on the buds themselves. And I tend to look at buds at the level just below the buds at the very top. I figure when I see the slightly lower buds showing me 80% cloudy and 20% amber then the buds at the top will definitely be prime as sleep aids.

For me photos 4 and 5 show me the most of what I want to see. To me I'm seeing nearly all milky trichromes and would expect you'll start seeing amber trichs within a week. But as I've never grown that strain I'm simply stating what I've seen from my past experience with indica strains.

Sure hope that's at least somewhat helpful.

I like the photos BTW. The quality is quite nice.

Hey everyone ... I hope this thread proves to be educational for many new growers like myself.

What I am trying to do is to relate the photos of trichomes on a RoyalQueenSeeds tutorial to actual photos I took today using my microscope.

0_microscope.jpg

MoKo WiFi USB Digital Microscope

Here's the current scenario:

*** Post Date: August 16, 2019.
*** Medium: I am growing in FF Ocean Forest soil with 30% perlite.
*** Strain: Canuk Seeds Cheese.
*** Current Stage: Day 4/ Week 11 ... Day 74 ... late flower.
*** It got its pistels on Day 7/ Week 5 ... Day35 ... early pre-flower.
*** It is in the final 2 weeks of bloom.
*** Final bloom flush was on August August 13, 2019.
*** I am currently feeding full dose bloom nutes and watching the trichomes.
*** My current strategy timeline: Flush, Full-On Bloom Nutes, Stem Split, Three Days Dark, Harvest!

*** This was my very first time using the microscope to try and get photos.

*** My goal is to harvest when there are a mixture of cloudy trichomes and amber trichomes ... and even more amber trichomes to help with sleep.

*** I need to understand better what I am looking at here ... and if I need to take better pictures of the trichomes to make a decision, or if these pictures are good enough.

*** Do I need more magnification?

*** Do I need a better angle?

*** Do I look at the top of the bud?

*** Do I look at the sugar leaves?

*** Are these trichomes clear or cloudy?

Here are the pictures I took today that I need to understand better:

2019-08-16-131859.jpg

Photo 1

2019-08-16-131320.jpg

Photo 2

2019-08-16-131625.jpg

Photo 3

2019-08-16-132008.jpg

Photo 4

2019-08-16-132205.jpg

Photo 5

2019-08-16-132747.jpg

Photo 6

2019-08-16-133204.jpg

Photo 7

Thanks in advance!!!
You do not need more magnification. You have plenty. The angles are also fine. Take photos from different angles, different buds, different parts of the bud (not leaf) at different heights (top of plant, few inches below, few inches below that), but overall these are fine. As mentioned, I wouldn't bother with sugar leaves.

I see a mixture of cloudy and clear trichomes. Still got some time to go. Nice work.

@SQl2kGuy Popped over from the Chemdog thread to see your photos with your new microscope.

I can only share with you how I do it. What I personally look for when checking the trichromes. As an example I will use an Indica dominant strain grown to help as a sleep aid. I never look at the trichs on the sugar leaves, only on the buds themselves. And I tend to look at buds at the level just below the buds at the very top. I figure when I see the slightly lower buds showing me 80% cloudy and 20% amber then the buds at the top will definitely be prime as sleep aids.

For me photos 4 and 5 show me the most of what I want to see. To me I'm seeing nearly all milky trichromes and would expect you'll start seeing amber trichs within a week. But as I've never grown that strain I'm simply stating what I've seen from my past experience with indica strains.

Sure hope that's at least somewhat helpful.

I like the photos BTW. The quality is quite nice.

Hi @beez0404 ... I think I was just reading about your clone rooting right?

And just in case anyone else wants to join the group grow ... here's the link:

Who Let The Dogs Out? Chem Comparison Grow!

@beez0404 : I never look at the trichs on the sugar leaves, only on the buds themselves.

*** Alright ... got it ... I was actually looking at the sugar leaves.

@beez0404 : And I tend to look at buds at the level just below the buds at the very top. I figure when I see the slightly lower buds showing me 80% cloudy and 20% amber then the buds at the top will definitely be prime as sleep aids.

*** Alright ... got it ... I was looking at the very top. @Dutchman1990 said he uses 20% too.

*** Alright ... so we are milky right now ... I just wasn't sure how long before the amber shows up.

*** I will be able to use this info when I check the other plant tomorrow.

Thanks amigo .... ttyl

Photos are nice! Good quality. Just out of curiosity how much more magnification can you get with that thing and still have clear images? May be interested in getting one myself.

Also, a strategy to consider is a partial or 2 step harvest. When your top buds look how you want them, chances are some of the lowers will not be at the level of maturity you are looking for. You can harvest the mature parts of the plant and leave the rest to mature a bit longer. The parts you leave will have a lot better exposure to light as they finish up. If time isn’t a restraint then this might be a good strategy to ensure you get more finished product at the level of maturity you desire.

You do not need more magnification. You have plenty. The angles are also fine. Take photos from different angles, different buds, different parts of the bud (not leaf) at different heights (top of plant, few inches below, few inches below that), but overall these are fine. As mentioned, I wouldn't bother with sugar leaves.

I see a mixture of cloudy and clear trichomes. Still got some time to go. Nice work.

I'm so glad to get this feedback ... it has been so much work up until now!!!

I was starting to second guess myself ... and almost put off the flush and full-on bloom nutes this week.

Thanks @UrbanAchiever ... nice to meet you by the way :)

Photos are nice! Good quality. Just out of curiosity how much more magnification can you get with that thing and still have clear images? May be interested in getting one myself.

Also, a strategy to consider is a partial or 2 step harvest. When your top buds look how you want them, chances are some of the lowers will not be at the level of maturity you are looking for. You can harvest the mature parts of the plant and leave the rest to mature a bit longer. The parts you leave will have a lot better exposure to light as they finish up. If time isn’t a restraint then this might be a good strategy to ensure you get more finished product at the level of maturity you desire.

Hey @Mr. Magoo ... you and your friends are going to hep me decide on BRIX or coco next :)

The microscope says 1000x ... I'll try tomorrow, ... but that's a lot of magnification without putting something on a slide ... at that magnification ... the slightest movement is really quite a lot!!!

I had it at the lower end of magnification for these pictures ... and we can use it with a phone or laptop or iPad ... I like it so far.

@Mr. Magoo ... Also, a strategy to consider is a partial or 2 step harvest.

*** I heard about this once before ... can I cut the cola in half or something?

*** I will try this in a few days or so then ... it will good practice to harvest one little bit ... wash it ... dry it ... and get it into a bag or jar.

Thanks again amigo!

Yep, my cutting finally rooted. Thank goodness!!:cheer:

You know ... my first two clones took over two weeks to kick in ... and they finally took off when I put them in the window and gave them real sunlight!!!

Now they are really growing ... and they are bushy too ... they are not growing like a from seed seedling ... but maybe that's the nature of a clone!

1,000x? Wow... The last thing I used in that range was an actual microscope with an oil immersion lens. What kind of detail do you get with it at that magnification?

Hey SQ,

So typically with checking trichomes you want to look at the “calyx” not the sugar leaves. Sugar leaves will mature much sooner than the calyx of the plants. I check 3 spots of the plant:

1- top main cola
2- mid level cola
3- bottom small cola

This gives me an idea of the range of my plant. If the tops are well in advance you can do a staggered harvest by chopping them and allowing the bottoms to go for another week!

This is a prime example of where giving a good lollipop and keeping a flat canopy helps!! This will allow most of the plant to ripen and mature at the same pace!

Hey SQ,

So typically with checking trichomes you want to look at the “calyx” not the sugar leaves. Sugar leaves will mature much sooner than the calyx of the plants. I check 3 spots of the plant:

1- top main cola
2- mid level cola
3- bottom small cola

This gives me an idea of the range of my plant. If the tops are well in advance you can do a staggered harvest by chopping them and allowing the bottoms to go for another week!

This is a prime example of where giving a good lollipop and keeping a flat canopy helps!! This will allow most of the plant to ripen and mature at the same pace!

Thanks for the feedback ... I will try this today and post the results here.

I'm glad I did lollipopping and an even canopy now!!!

ttyl amigo

I’m late but looks like everyone has pointed you in the right direction. That’s what I love about 420 mag, all the members on here are awesome when it comes to helping each other. I’ve pretty much learned everything I know from this sight so just hang in there @SQl2kGuy you will be fine and don’t hesitate to ask for help :thumb:

I bought the same microscope back in June for my last grow. The microscope is amazing in showing the detail, but you gotta have a steady hand for it. It does come with a little stand but I thought it was a little harder to use, to get to where I wanted to take a photo from. Plus the app is super easy to use to check on what you’re zooming in on but there is some lag. I don’t think I ever got close to using the full zoom but I don’t think you need anything more than half power at most. Some pics from my last grow using the same microscope

F226B441-F438-43CC-A5F1-2FD3EC46D641.jpeg
E54BC8F2-142C-4F62-B86C-B3249FF88DAB.jpeg
1440A7BF-9B38-4B8C-819B-89BE66EC1556.jpeg
C65D0564-718F-4885-937D-CA66426A175F.jpeg

Attachments

• 36C318DF-C558-4B30-8051-F91DB1FD5D07.jpeg
    36C318DF-C558-4B30-8051-F91DB1FD5D07.jpeg
    287.7 KB · Views: 123
I bought the same microscope back in June for my last grow. The microscope is amazing in showing the detail, but you gotta have a steady hand for it. It does come with a little stand but I thought it was a little harder to use, to get to where I wanted to take a photo from. Plus the app is super easy to use to check on what you’re zooming in on but there is some lag. I don’t think I ever got close to using the full zoom but I don’t think you need anything more than half power at most. Some pics from my last grow using the same microscope

F226B441-F438-43CC-A5F1-2FD3EC46D641.jpeg
E54BC8F2-142C-4F62-B86C-B3249FF88DAB.jpeg
1440A7BF-9B38-4B8C-819B-89BE66EC1556.jpeg
C65D0564-718F-4885-937D-CA66426A175F.jpeg

Hi @EhCndGrower ... I know I've seen you in the forums ... I just can't remember where.

I like the detail! I am seeing a lot of cloudy in your photos ... and a bit of amber.

I honestly wouldn't know how to check on a harvest time using just pistels now.

If anyone else has pictures we can practice looking at, then please post them ... the more challenging ... the better.

I am sure there are some strains that are quite difficult to take pictures of.

I’m late but looks like everyone has pointed you in the right direction. That’s what I love about 420 mag, all the members on here are awesome when it comes to helping each other. I’ve pretty much learned everything I know from this sight so just hang in there @SQl2kGuy you will be fine and don’t hesitate to ask for help :thumb:

I'm glad you popped by ... and I appreciate the encouragement.

Hopefully I can make it through your journal this weekend!

Back
Top Bottom