Trichs never turned amber

A few weeks?! Oh dear... guess I'd better find a good hiding place for them. Maybe they are so behind because it was getting into the 30s when I brought them in. TY!

There are some trichs that just look like amber hairs and some with just amber heads. I'm afraid if I let everything get amber, these ones already with amber heads will break apart. That info I can't find in my books either! :-( I was under the impression that my entire bud would eventually look almost golden. The photo example for that looked like a bud photo under an HPS light would appear golden yellow.

Camero,
\Yes, that's the scope I have. I know how to use it when, it is working. The light only come once in a while I'm returning it to BGH. I'm looking for one with a larger looking glass that I can holder closer or further away to focus. On this one, it's almost impossible to focus to a clear image. The knob just doesn't go far enough.

So, I can see all of my trichs just fine, but the mix of colors are throwing my off guessing. I'm afraid I might wait too long and the heads will fall off! . This is frustrating!

I'm working on hiding away stuff today. Not sure where to put these gals in 5 and 10 gallon pots, but don't want to chop them now if they still need a few weeks! TY for the info in time! :grinjoint:

It really looks like you are doing a great job!!

I would not associate the color of the hairs in the bud with the color of the Trichs. The Trichs are the only part of the plant that will give you a true gauge on how mature your plants are.
I hope you can find a good temporary hiding place for you plants!!:roorrip:

It really looks like you are doing a great job!!

I would not associate the color of the hairs in the bud with the color of the Trichs. The Trichs are the only part of the plant that will give you a true gauge on how mature your plants are.
I hope you can find a good temporary hiding place for you plants!!:roorrip:

I might be too stoned to post!!! I reread your statement and realized I was wrong in thinking you were associating the hairs with the trichs.

You have trichs are are amber and you are concerned if you wait for the other trichs to turn the amber... the already amber trich will fall off. Right!

I have never heard about them falling off either!

:rollit:

LOL! Since I write more when stoned, I've had to stop using the computer after I've taken anything. It's OK, most people here are trying to think while stoned, that's what makes this forum special. :)))))) Got my laughs in for the night....

You got it right the second time. I don't have any hairs left on my buds, just lots of cat hair. I don't know what to think about the amber topped buds. I read that if you wait too long to harvest, the trichs start breaking down and become useless. All of the trichs have been in limbo since October. I'm not seeing much of a change in them, but hope moving the plants inside will get the plants growing, or at least maturing again. I still have clear trichs scattered with amber. Some look like the heads have fallen off too. I wonder if those were breaking down already?!

I found the part in my Rosenthal book where the over ripe bud has the caps falling off as they degrade. Even those broken trichs are not all amber. What a PITA! The problem with most of the photos I see is color. The HPS makes the buds and trichs look golden or yellow. CFLS make them look almost clear, a blue like translucence. Flashes make them, look white. Most of the good pics have coloring added so the trichs show up better. To top it off the LED light on my scopes make them look almost purple. Ack!!!! It's heard to decide with is real or not... <sigh>

I just packed up that scope in the photo above for return. It's hard not to keep smashing my buds with it as I look over and over for changes in those trichs. The new scope isn't here yet. The waiting in torture! I dropped a few pieces off with some guys at a store that I know have their own grows. They were clueless as to harvest or not because they only go off of the hairs for their own grow. So much for that idea! LOL Guess I'll have to hurry up and wait some more, and look for a few more hiding places... and take some more pics. :-D TY for the help!!!

LOL! Since I write more when stoned, I've had to stop using the computer after I've taken anything. It's OK, most people here are trying to think while stoned, that's what makes this forum special. :)))))) Got my laughs in for the night....

You got it right the second time. I don't have any hairs left on my buds, just lots of cat hair. I don't know what to think about the amber topped buds. I read that if you wait too long to harvest, the trichs start breaking down and become useless. All of the trichs have been in limbo since October. I'm not seeing much of a change in them, but hope moving the plants inside will get the plants growing, or at least maturing again. I still have clear trichs scattered with amber. Some look like the heads have fallen off too. I wonder if those were breaking down already?!

I found the part in my Rosenthal book where the over ripe bud has the caps falling off as they degrade. Even those broken trichs are not all amber. What a PITA! The problem with most of the photos I see is color. The HPS makes the buds and trichs look golden or yellow. CFLS make them look almost clear, a blue like translucence. Flashes make them, look white. Most of the good pics have coloring added so the trichs show up better. To top it off the LED light on my scopes make them look almost purple. Ack!!!! It's heard to decide with is real or not... <sigh>

I just packed up that scope in the photo above for return. It's hard not to keep smashing my buds with it as I look over and over for changes in those trichs. The new scope isn't here yet. The waiting in torture! I dropped a few pieces off with some guys at a store that I know have their own grows. They were clueless as to harvest or not because they only go off of the hairs for their own grow. So much for that idea! LOL Guess I'll have to hurry up and wait some more, and look for a few more hiding places... and take some more pics. :-D TY for the help!!!

I recently got his lastest book the Marijuana Growers Handbook. I have seen where he notes the buds can get overipe.

Of all the books and even the thead for harvesting on this site. It seems that most people harvest way too soon. I read somewhere yesterday that when you think your plants are ready to harvest that you should wait another week.

My last harvest I harvested at 30% amber and at 80% amber. At 80%...alot of the trichs appeared to be burnt.

The 80% took an extra two weeks of growing but it was well worth it for me.

Hehehe, This is why I tried explaining to you how to work the scope. lol You don't hold this up to the bud and try and look at it. lol you are correct in smashing your buds. I don't see how it is possible to really even look at a bud close up with one of these scopes. I would expect it would be to damn hard to focus. lol

This is why I explained cutting off a scissor leaf that is about a 1/2 an inch long, laying on the table with a white back ground, (a piece of paper to set it on top) and then put the scope on top of it and adjust viewing. you won't have any color saturation from a hps light or anything else then.

But I can understand ya not liking the scope. I didn't like it at first till I was explained how to use it correctly and then I loved it. Ain't miss a good harvest yet. :)

Exactly, Just clip a leaf tip by the bud that has noticable trichs on it and leave your precious buds alone!!!

Hey guys!
I know I'm supposed to cut a piece off each time for a look... Since I was looking each day, I was worried all of my tiny samples were adding up to visible damage. I only did this a few days, plus the half working light and erratic focus was irritating has hell. When I got it in focus the light would die and I'd have to lose focus when I smacked the battery case to fix the light. I could focus on trichs more easily than mite eggs and moving mites... the monsters would move out of sight faster than I could move the scope on the leaf. LOL I hate poorly made junk. This gadget never had a chance with me! I'm hoping the new one will have more sensitive controls, be easier to hold, and be usable on the plant so I can look from leaf to leaf without cutting things off.

The 30x scope is not strong enough to tell mites from dust unless I could get them to move a bit. I spent most of the summer taking photos of the plants them blowing them up in photoshop to look for bugs. I'm as blind as a bat! :) i'm sure i'll have a huge scope collection before find one I like. :)

Camero, Are you also saying you don't use the LED light at all? If the paper reflects enough light back... the color would certainly look better without the LED on.

In one of my posts, someone mentioned they use a USB camera. I'll have to check that out. It would be awesome to not touch your plants at all... just point n shoot, then hook to the computer. I need to look at how close it gets and if I'd still need to snip pieces apart to look at them. I do love collecting weird gadgets. :-D

How often do you fellas look at each plant? I'm not sure yet how quickly they actually visibly change. Either way, my looking is not doing the gals any good! LOL! It seemed the leaves were far behind the buds, but I'm sure of that. The trichs seemed shorter and more one color... like all cloudy short trichs with barely any stems! Is this normal, or are the leaves and buds usually closer in ripeness?

I'm thinking I should chop the plant who is turning the most yellow and the leaves dying...??? I don't see how she can be getting more mature if she is dying off. Any ideas? I wish I could tell if any of these plants are maturing again now that I brought them inside. What a bizarre ending to my first grow!

Thanks for your help fellas. LMK if every day is too often for checking each plant. I feel like a bull in a china shop smashing all of the trichs with my viewing. :grinjoint: I'm off to take new photos! TY for all the advice. :thanks:

PS
Yeah!!! Fedex just delivered my new tent!! I'm crossing my fingers it is not another lemon like the last one or the one Irish boy had. Since the landlord can't make me unzip the tent (it's not her property?!), it might be a better option than hiding all the plants...but it is obviously a suspicious item.
:yahoo:

I use this unit I bought from Radio Shack. They usually keep them in stock and they only cost 12.49. Yes, it is cheaply made. However I am very rough on things and this cheaply made scope has been through hell. I have had to reassemble after I dropped once. It still works!!!

I never heard of taking photos with a camera and looking. I think that would be more of a hassle.

When you get closer to the harvest...your leaves will turn colors and several will fall off. That is normal. I would still go by the trichs. You said you wanted a good couch lock. I would wait til at least 50% amber.

I check the trichs every day when I am close to harvest. However, I think that is too much. I just like working with my plants!!!

Radio Shack Illuminated Microscope $12.49

Hey guys!
I know I'm supposed to cut a piece off each time for a look... Since I was looking each day, I was worried all of my tiny samples were adding up to visible damage. I only did this a few days, plus the half working light and erratic focus was irritating has hell. When I got it in focus the light would die and I'd have to lose focus when I smacked the battery case to fix the light. I could focus on trichs more easily than mite eggs and moving mites... the monsters would move out of sight faster than I could move the scope on the leaf. LOL I hate poorly made junk. This gadget never had a chance with me! I'm hoping the new one will have more sensitive controls, be easier to hold, and be usable on the plant so I can look from leaf to leaf without cutting things off.

The 30x scope is not strong enough to tell mites from dust unless I could get them to move a bit. I spent most of the summer taking photos of the plants them blowing them up in photoshop to look for bugs. I'm as blind as a bat! :) i'm sure i'll have a huge scope collection before find one I like. :)

Camero, Are you also saying you don't use the LED light at all? If the paper reflects enough light back... the color would certainly look better without the LED on.

No I use the LED on it.

In one of my posts, someone mentioned they use a USB camera. I'll have to check that out. It would be awesome to not touch your plants at all... just point n shoot, then hook to the computer. I need to look at how close it gets and if I'd still need to snip pieces apart to look at them. I do love collecting weird gadgets. :-D

yeap, I have seen them, A good one is around a 100. but I think most people do it the same way by cutting a sissor leaf off and looking at it. They are nice cause you are looking at a monitor. I do have to admit, the best scope I have seen someone use to check there trichs was one of the old High School Microscopes. I believe it was 50x to 400x. He would even put the scissor leaf between the glass plates. He would look at the edge of the leaf to see where the trichs were at. It had a very clear view.

How often do you fellas look at each plant?

Trichs don't just turn over night. I keep a timetable on my plants in flowering. After 6 weeks (in hydro, soil around the 10th week), I will look at the trichs. Hydro,every 3 or 4 days I check them (soil once a week).
Note- all my grows are inside.

I'm not sure yet how quickly they actually visibly change. Either way, my looking is not doing the gals any good! LOL! It seemed the leaves were far behind the buds, but I'm sure of that. The trichs seemed shorter and more one color... like all cloudy short trichs with barely any stems! Is this normal, or are the leaves and buds usually closer in ripeness?

Yes in the maturity of the plant, It will start taking the protein from the leaves. There will be some little clear trichs, a lot of cloudy trichs and probably some visibility of amber ones.

I'm thinking I should chop the plant who is turning the most yellow and the leaves dying...??? I don't see how she can be getting more mature if she is dying off. Any ideas? I wish I could tell if any of these plants are maturing again now that I brought them inside. What a bizarre ending to my first grow!

Yes, I have had plants like this also. i would flush it for a week, Let the plant get the rest of the protein from the leaves. then a couple of days of darkness and chop.

Thanks for your help fellas. LMK if every day is too often for checking each plant. I feel like a bull in a china shop smashing all of the trichs with my viewing. :grinjoint: I'm off to take new photos! TY for all the advice. :thanks:

PS
Yeah!!! Fedex just delivered my new tent!! I'm crossing my fingers it is not another lemon like the last one or the one Irish boy had. Since the landlord can't make me unzip the tent (it's not her property?!), it might be a better option than hiding all the plants...but it is obviously a suspicious item.
:yahoo:

I don't think I would take that chance with the landlord. I do believe I would hide them. You don't want to throw any suspicion out there.

Hi Acer,

I looked at that Radioshack scope online. The Radio S here doesn't have it. I ended up buying a different kind on ebay with S&H less than $10. It works 100x better than the scope I returned! It seems to have a larger lens, enough to see 10 trichs at a time, plus no need to focus so far. I have been able to look at as many leaves and buds as I want with no snipping. Just what I needed!

Here's the odd part... Under the returned scope, I could only get 2 or 3 trichs into focus at once. Everything looks completely different under the new one, also with a LED light. What bugs me the most is that I previously thought most of the trichs were cloudy with a few amber heads. Now with this new 60x one, I don't see any cloudy trichs at all. All stems are clear and all head are amber. Worse, I think I missed the harvest. Those amber heads appear to be melting and breaking down! I harvested all I had left right away. This doesn't make much sense... Most of the trichs on the leaves were clearly cloudy. WTH?!

I should add that I was using the camera to view closeups of my plants because my eyesight is very bad. It's easier to bring in the pics and zoom in to look at bugs and such. That's how I discovered the odd single eggs. My 30x scope helped me see much better, but spider mites needed to be moving for me to see them. The new scope takes care of all of this! I wish my camera could get this close...

One thing I'd like to ask, does everyone wipe off their scopes with alcohol or something? It seems like a great way to spread about spider mite eggs...

Here's the new scope. Buyer beware to get only from a US seller. The ones for 99 cents with 99 cent shipping come all of the way from Hong Kong. ??!

scope_new.jpg

Back
Top Bottom