Trimming fan leaves when plants flowering

Pitbullpal

Hey guys ...I got a question for the more experienced Gardner out there ..I'm day 34 flower..and I'm wondering about trimming of fan leaves to let more light in ..I've read mixed messages about this subject ..my girl has always been outside except last couple weeks I've had no choice but to finish her inside ..I wanna do the most i can to help her achieve the big buds if I can ..has anyone practiced trimming fan leaves when in flower ..should I have done it earlier ?? Will trimming now street plant too much ?? Or just let her go as is ..she's big and beautiful..someone help with some in site please

received_1704913739835443.jpeg

I'm afraid you will always get mixed answers on that subject. In my opinion it depends somewhat on what your growing in and what training your using for your plant...You will hear many opinions on this subject. None are probably 100% correct or 100% wrong because different people do different things with their plants and have wildly different results. That being said..................

It looks like you didn't top or do much training to your plant to me. Myself, I'm in the group that does light training, heavy training like supercropping and lollipoping, topping and fimming and on and on. I'm also in the group that when I have 15 main colas on my plant I always do some defoliation of some of the fan leafs about 2-3 weeks into flower if I feel the need which I usually do. I look at it this way. If I'm harvesting some killer potent and tasty bud and 5-6 ounces on auto's and 7-9 oz on photo plants indoors I say if it's hurting me by doing that it sure ain't hurting much!

Here's what I think. While many growers use a lot of the same techniques almost every grower has a unique style that works for them. Just because I get great results by doing "X" don't mean someone else with a different style will do the same. Myself I can't stand the thought of growing a photo plant with 1 huge main cola knowing that if I had only LST'ed her with some added supercropping, defoliation and some fun I could have had 15 good sized cola's and a larger harvest at the end. If I were growing outside I can see doing less but indoors....no way.

My .02 anyways.

I agree with the above.

Id say never stress an unhealthy plant but if its healthy pruning has always responded well to me. removing the bottom 1/3 of the plant will allow more airflow and remove sucker branches. Removing some fan leaves will open the plant up to more light. i prefer to do it in one hit, i dont like removing a few leaves here and there often as it means the plant is continuously in a state of healing.

Your right I've never topped but have done a lot of fimming.this is my first attempt and I'm very inexperienced but am trying to learn all I can ..like I said she has always been outside but now it too cold where I live and trying to finish her inside ...
So should I take some fan leaves off or let her go ?? She's healthy and I've never lost a single leaf ...ever ...my concern is that I'm too far into flower and removing leaves now would hurt her production..I dunno ..my next grow will be done differently as I have got more knowledge from reading and questions and answers from all of you ...which I am grateful for .
I guess my main question is should I do it ?? Will it hurt production ..I'm day 36 now and about to hit it with some bud blaster...thoughts?? Advise ?

Your right I've never topped but have done a lot of fimming.this is my first attempt and I'm very inexperienced but am trying to learn all I can ..like I said she has always been outside but now it too cold where I live and trying to finish her inside ...
So should I take some fan leaves off or let her go ?? She's healthy and I've never lost a single leaf ...ever ...my concern is that I'm too far into flower and removing leaves now would hurt her production..I dunno ..my next grow will be done differently as I have got more knowledge from reading and questions and answers from all of you ...which I am grateful for .
I guess my main question is should I do it ?? Will it hurt production ..I'm day 36 now and about to hit it with some bud blaster...thoughts?? Advise ?
Everything considered with your plant if it were me honestly I would not take any fan leaves off at this time. I say that for a few reasons. Reason number one is because it was an outside plant that has now been brought inside to finish which is totally understandable however that will always cause a little bit of shock. The second reason is because you are a little further into flower at this point so you would have to do it fairly heavy by taking off quite a few fan leaves to really make a difference and that too will probably put it in some Shock especially after its move from outside in. The last thing you want to do 4 weeks into flower is put your plant in the any type of shock. This is a very important time in the flowering stage so at this point I wouldn't do it.

Sent from my android from outer space!

Perfect ...thank you I will just let her finish then ..the last thing I wanna do is screw up at this stage in the game ...I appreciate the advice .... I see that I got some hairs turning amber ...just a few here and there ..so I expect buds to fatten and start a heavier resin productions..am I right thinking this ? I ask because I gonna hit her with a bud blaster

You could do a little selective leaf tucking. Nearly stress free for the plant and it can get more light to key bud sites.

Even at this stage in the game MAJOR?

Sure. IDK how much difference it will make, but if you are considering any method of getting more light below the canopy, it is as gentle and safe as anything I know.

Well I went in and removed some fan leaves ..I hope I didn't do too much ...sure made a difference for light penetration...just hope I didn't do damage ..

No worries mate. She'll be fine. :thumb:

Yah she does have some pretty large leaves ...wish I knew more .. I would have thinned her out long ago..live and learn I suppose ..on day 40 ..kinda thought she would look a Lil better then she does at this point ..but this is my first attempt so I think I've done a great job thus far ...

Yah she does have some pretty large leaves ...wish I knew more .. I would have thinned her out long ago..live and learn I suppose ..on day 40 ..kinda thought she would look a Lil better then she does at this point ..but this is my first attempt so I think I've done a great job thus far ...

Back
Top Bottom