Skybound's Journal

I'd like to get a hobby lathe from harbor freight. They look handy for small projects. They have a mill/lathe combo too. I think they carry cutters too

I think it's only around $700 for the lathe and the mill I think is an attachment or something. When in prison, I used to run a big ass 25 horse turret lathe. Had to be super careful near that one. It could rip my arm off then beat me with it, lol.

Hey bro I don't have a end mill the size you need. I'll keep my eyes open for one. I might run across one in my work travels ;)

No worries Dank, the router came with one, but it's so skinny that I assume it would snap immediately if I plowed it into some wood, so I jest never went through the motions. I verified the functions of the machine with a sharpie as a plotter and drew something, that's enough for now. To produce something useful, something salable I would need several bits of varying sizes and end shapes.

took a very quick look to see whats in there didn't see that!

It explains the value of adding volcanic rock to soil and how that stimulates the microbes, water retention, nutrient uptake and worms. FWIW, the volcanic rock is one of the things in one of the soil amendments I believe DB uses in his kit. The product that has it is called "Soil Mender Minerals Plus" and it has 7% Ca, 5% Fe, 1%Mg and trace minerals.

It explains the value of adding volcanic rock to soil and how that stimulates the microbes, water retention, nutrient uptake and worms. FWIW, the volcanic rock is one of the things in one of the soil amendments I believe DB uses in his kit. The product that has it is called "Soil Mender Minerals Plus" and it has 7% Ca, 5% Fe, 1%Mg and trace minerals.
that sounds like it should be some good stuff to add to your soil I already add rock dusts basalt- azomite- gypsum- cal carbonate and a small amount of lime this last mix i omitted the cal carb and added lithothamnium by suggestion from @conradino23 it was 25.00 for a lb. its not cheap here and i put the whole pound in my soil i did that becuase i always have some problems with cal-mag and this stuff is loaded with it so will see so far im very happy with the youngins are doing!

that sounds like it should be some good stuff to add to your soil I already add rock dusts basalt- azomite- gypsum- cal carbonate and a small amount of lime this last mix i omitted the cal carb and added lithothamnium by suggestion from @conradino23 it was 25.00 for a lb. its not cheap here and i put the whole pound in my soil i did that becuase i always have some problems with cal-mag and this stuff is loaded with it so will see so far im very happy with the youngins are doing!

Do you need to add a pound to every batch of soil, or does it last through several grows? In Doc's kit, extra attention is given to calcium by keeping the competing cations to a minimum in the soil. The Kit's amendment ironically has a 7:1 Ca:Mg ratio which is conveniently identical to Mineral Plus Ca:Mg ratio. Also, Doc's kit has minimal potassium added to ensure maximum uptake of calcium. Of course I am shooting for the same approach. I'm very confident now that I have tracked down all of the items used in the kit and can make my own drenches and foliar sprays from salts and am waiting for the final delivery. I purchased a bunch of stuff that probably won't get used, but the investment on each was negligible and was a mere growing pain. I think I'll be a in good shape moving forward. I'm eager to phase out my hydro and put away the reservoirs and air pots.

Highya Sky,

Sounds like the only thing left is to try your plan to see how close you have come! Cheers

Highya Sky,

Sounds like the only thing left is to try your plan to see how close you have come! Cheers

That's always been the plan my friend. Expanding from 3 to 9 plants had to be done on the cheap, I just gotta wait till Thursday for the delivery, whip up a batch and a half then mix it with about 90 gallons of soil and cook it for a month with the EWC. I'll still have 10 gallons of soil that I incorrectly amended, but so far is doing just fine, it should be good enough to hold me over for a month. I'm so eager to get on with it.

Do you need to add a pound to every batch of soil, or does it last through several grows? In Doc's kit, extra attention is given to calcium by keeping the competing cations to a minimum in the soil. The Kit's amendment ironically has a 7:1 Ca:Mg ratio which is conveniently identical to Mineral Plus Ca:Mg ratio. Also, Doc's kit has minimal potassium added to ensure maximum uptake of calcium. Of course I am shooting for the same approach. I'm very confident now that I have tracked down all of the items used in the kit and can make my own drenches and foliar sprays from salts and am waiting for the final delivery. I purchased a bunch of stuff that probably won't get used, but the investment on each was negligible and was a mere growing pain. I think I'll be a in good shape moving forward. I'm eager to phase out my hydro and put away the reservoirs and air pots.
I was told that you can reuse the soil several times before its starting to deplete its one of the ingredients Conradino uses so I no its good im hoping that I don't need to add any cal mag will see how it goes good luck sky! :)

I hope 2 gallons is a reasonable size. A lot of the veg vigor will be accomplished in the rockwool, so transitioning to the soil then filling out the soil I hope will be a reasonable amount of time. After that 2 gallons is overgrown, they go into the 10 gallon fabric pots to finish in.

That's the plan so far. Let me know your thoughts or suggestions.
I got lost in the milling adventures but wanted to comment.

I've been using 2 gallon softies for a year now I guess using peat, perlite and minerals from KIS Organics nutrient pack. I run them right on through finish so you should be good going into 10 gallons for the finish. You'll find that the soil will dry fairly quickly.

I got lost in the milling adventures but wanted to comment.

I've been using 2 gallon softies for a year now I guess using peat, perlite and minerals from KIS Organics nutrient pack. I run them right on through finish so you should be good going into 10 gallons for the finish. You'll find that the soil will dry fairly quickly.

How long does it generally take for your roots to fill out the 2gal pots? In rockwool, it would take me about 3 weeks, maybe 4. I'm hoping they can fill that much soil in 6 weeks or less.

How long does it generally take for your roots to fill out the 2gal pots? In rockwool, it would take me about 3 weeks, maybe 4. I'm hoping they can fill that much soil in 6 weeks or less.
I'd be lying if I told you I knew. I would think 3 to 4 weeks and certainly by 6 but it's not something that I would have measured. I'm afraid I'm not going to be much help in any scientific information.

There's a lot of times I don't measure stuff. I'm a bit anal about adjusting pH but that's about it. As a matter of fact I even give that a big tolerance. If it's got a 6 handle I'm usually good with it. :slide:

Drive By

I gotta catch up my friend... I'm so far behind on all the journals I follow.... My bad... Sorry

Drive By

I gotta catch up my friend... I'm so far behind on all the journals I follow.... My bad... Sorry

No worries Wood, just look at the pictures and BOOM you're all caught up, lol.

hows it going today sky!

For the next 3 days I'm going to be going through it waiting for my order to arrive so I can amend my soil and get it cooking. It pains me to know that I have a chore that I can't get to yet. How's things out your way?

For the next 3 days I'm going to be going through it waiting for my order to arrive so I can amend my soil and get it cooking. It pains me to know that I have a chore that I can't get to yet. How's things out your way?
I here ya bud I hate that to I want to get busy with it :) its going good here got one more to harvest soon then ive got the new ones to play with its a whole new experience every time we do a grow it seems winter is going to come early this year glad my plant is almost done :)so how are your babies doing my friend!:)

you no the other day I didn't really answer you about the lithothamnium the reason im adding it is because the soil im using roots 707 is light in the cal mag area so every grow I have those problems these lights suck it out of the plants im hoping adding this to the soil will end that problem I added an lb. to 6 cu. ft. of soil and its supposed to be good for several grows im tired of buying so much soil im going to try amending and reusing for at least one more grow ok that's enough bs from me lol!

Back
Top Bottom