Skybound's Journal

I'm really digging the room build sky :high-five: I'm try to think outside the box for growing out in my shed this winter. It's already snowing here. But it's not as cold yet as it will be soon. I'm considering running another tent out there with my other 1k hps. Both on separate 12/12 cycles for a extra heat source. I'm thinking about circulating the air constantly from one tent to the other for heat. I've got it insulated good and a small heater. Heater is probably not much cheaper than running another light

Those little electric space heaters can eat some current! I once had a little feller, maybe a foot tall and it pulled 1,600 watts. That's 1.6 - 1KW HIDs. You're 100% better off to run the tents at opposing times to make better use of the heat produced. Running only one at a time also lightens the electrical load across the service cables that bring the power to your shed. If you can put it in your budget and have space for another tent, it would be a wise choice IMO. That would be way more efficient spending and I'm fairly sure that the current extraction system could handle the 2nd space if teed. When I started this grow, it was two 4x4 rooms and a 2.5x4 room all being sucked from a single cheapo 440 cfm fan blowing into a cheapo filter. It's when I added a 3rd 4x4 that I needed to get a 2nd fan/filter. IMO, you should put a filter on the floor (or in a trash can), then a fan, than a rigid straight pipe up to a Tee where each end goes to a different tent. IDK if the shed would allow for that, but if it would, that's the best balance of air pressure in the pipes. If you have to put the filter at the end of the series, obviously the closest tent would get the majority of the extration. Also, if you have a tent on each side of the filter, you know the noise is only going either of the open directions, lol.

I'm thinking that's the way I'll be going. Thanks for the piping advise too. That makes sense to me too. At the moment I'm using a 1500 watt infared heater. It's set at 55° and runs on and off when lights are off. With lights on tent climbs to just below 70° so I'm thinking the 2 tents on opposite schedules will do the trick without the heater running much, if at lol. Also the dam mites don't like the cold...win win :cheesygrinsmiley:

Another very long day, but the build is done and everyone's in their new home under the dark orange HPS. I so need to get them COBs back into play ASAP. My camera probably won't depict it well, but that red ass light reflecting off that brown floor makes the walls look sherbert colored. I also just noticed I have a pair of each in there, lol. BTW, both of the Ayahuasca Purple seedlings are looking hectic. They're not dying yet, but they don't seem to be doing anything. The GSC, despite having a severely thin stem and me almost damping it off is spreading her little one blade leaves nicely and is getting ready to push out the next set, yet the AP is just sitting still in time. No pics from veg tho.

The 2 PC's
pc.jpg

The 2 Em Dog's
ed.jpg

The 2 small Glues, though my people love this smoke, so gotta keep it going and keep trying to get more out of her.
gg.jpg

Still plenty of floor space left to fill even though I only technically want 3 more than what's there and try to space each by 1 week.
floor space.jpg

@Dankman_420 these 6" fans work great to keep my hoods cool and they're not so loud which would be great out in your shed. They're like $45 at home depot and are a Suncort Inline Fan with more powerful motor. Way way way back when I firsat started, I even used one with a carbon filter and it kept up with my needs. They're good fans!
hid fan.jpg

And finally a family photo of the PC's and ED's.
4 big.jpg

In the next 2 days I should be able to catch up on everyone's journal.

Thanks for the tip on that 6” fan- i’ve needed to upgrade the one in my veg room ever since I put it in there 6 years ago....

Dankman my grow is basically an insulated shed - 8’ wide x 12 deep with the first 4’ of it being the veg room, which you have to walk through to get to the 8x8 flowering room. The lighting times overlap. There is always lighting on, and when lights are off in flowering there’s a dehumidifier on a timer going, which also creates heat. The divider between the two rooms is just 1/2” ply so they share warmth.

Temps don’t get cold here but we do get stretches of around minus 10°C, and my insulation is quite light, works fine with no cold related problems.
Floor is insulated with a couple inches of styrofoam. I put a drain in the flowering room floor- highly recommended to do that if you can swing it.

I worked with many a booster fan For awhile I was making my grow box outta cardboard, good solid cardboard. Duct tape sealed all the joints then some flat white paint.. 2 or 3 coats should build up enough. But I was making this really cute' boxes using them 6 inch PC fans for intake down low, and exhaust up high. I made on that was 32"x16"x4' that had a 150 watt HPS in it and acouple T5 bulbs. Worked great for 2 smaller plants..

Lost me on the spread sheets. I'll stick with GH nutrients as needed. Right now I got a slight problem in my veg tent.. Miss J was watering,, and she did it even if the didn't need it.. Over-watered plants have a hard time pulling phosphate and Ca. Now it's been kind of cold out there and with lower root temps, she draws less Phosphate and Ca. Double whammy. Plants started to yellow and some turned a browish purple shine on the edges of leaves. Last watering I mixed a does of GH grow, and uped the Micros 20% and hit with Cal/Mag.

Hey @Skybound are you going to exhaust that hood?

Hey @Skybound are you going to exhaust that hood?

It is exhausting into the room, but I'm not going to separate the HID air from the room air. All heat and stink will get sucked up into that 6" hole in the ceiling. There is plenty negative pressure in the bloom and new veg. Prior, I had all 3 rooms daisy chained into a single 6" ceiling port, but now only having one bloom room, it changes the dynamics, plus the 4" duct from veg is about half as long as previous. FYI, I don't want to stay with this HPS for too long and as soon as I can afford a nice big QB, I'll swap out that HID again and put it back to collecting dust somewhere.

ok whats going on over here its awful quiet at the mad scientist house are you working your butt off again! :rofl:

yeah, I kinda jumped the gun yesterday when I thought my toil was done. I forgot, I had 3 rooms to disassemble in a very small amount of space, so it was like a full scale game of tetris. There were 27 long studs, 18 mid size pieces about a dozen scabs and a handfull of off cuts that were used to catch screws of be backing for a wall fan. There was also 2 sheets of OSB and 6 sheets of 1/8" thick white board panels. I had to lump it all down a flight, then tomorrow another flight, but at least I took the time to clean the boards of all screws, nails and staples and it will be used for basement shelving. In 5 years when it rots from water damage, it'll smell like basement, not grow room, lol.

I got a question, I got a plant that was due to go to bloom yesterday, and it looks slightly larger than it's pot size which implies the roots are about good. When do you soil guys pot up and does it matter if done on the same day as being sent to bloom? FYI, in hydro, nothing is stressful within reason, but I understand soil is different. I'll learn regardless, but that would be a nice tip, thanks.

The old rooms, C is already gone, there's B half ripped apart and A was last on the menu. I had some decent memories in them lil rooms, but now I'll be able to walk around the plant and spray foliars, it will be lovely!
Old Rooms.jpg

The fans and filters are much closer to the attic entry. Previously, it was about 20 feet deeper into the darkness across rafters and blown insulation, so all travel is via hands and knees with careful placement. This arrangement has wicked strong suction. The insulated to the left drops about 4' before opening to the room below. The 4" off the right goes about twice as far to veg. The filters are screwed to that board with El brackets and sheet metal screws, then the board is suspended from bungies that hang from heavy duty Eye Hooks screwed into the rafters. This arrangement absorbs all of the vibrations and the filters cancel most of the noise from the fans above. Because the fans are so close to the rooms, some noise back feeds into the room's exhaust, but I could probably bugger something up to muffle the sound.
New Fan Arrangement.jpg

Hey is that the same same place you built rooms in for your old video journal? I seem to remembered you going up a bunch of stairs carrying buckets of water, sorta like a dungeon only upstairs instead of down?

For my grow in peat moss, If I’m trying to nurture plants, which I rarely do, or for some reason think I want them to be at their best (I usually don’t care) I’ll keep them a week or two in veg after the final transplant.

If the plant is already looking too big I’ll upot and stick it right in flower. If I’m slowing it down a teeny bit- then good.

In reality these days I’ve gotten in the habit of transplanting just ‘whenever’. The plants don’t mind. I don’t find that transplanting slows them down at all.

I base the pot size on how often I need to water before they dry up. That’s how long I get to be away from home on trips without implementing extra measures. Five days is what I aim for.

Of course I do aim to have everything in its final pot a week or two before starting flower, but I quite often misjudge strains and end up with plants that are a too large for their pots. Like 3 or 4 day plants.

Those ones will usually go along fine till I have to go away on a trip and decide -screw it I’m going to up-pot- even though they’re well into flowering.

The under-potted 3 day plants seem healthy enough- I usually just up-pot to make it easier for me to neglect them more.

As you may recall I recently transplanted one that was almost 6 weeks into flowering and took a pic of the roots after harvest. They’d filled out the pot just fine. Lots of people say not to transplant in flower and that roots won’t grow later on after the stretch. Not what I’ve seen.

That's serious air filtration... Here I'm running a 8" HO fan pushing up a straight stack up 2' into the attic and whirlybirds out from there thru the roof. Passive air intake from under the house, for AC, man if I crank that exhaust fan on and stand over the intake opening in the floor and might as well be an AC unit cranked full throttle, and the best source of CO2 replenishment available from my abient and static resources...

Luckily and blindly I've never worried bout smell here besides acouple 'onablock' in my ductwork. Good shit for small problems as far as oder goes.. But like said,, I burnt the front of my face off over the years,, means the sense of smell''' and taste''' Good drugs????? Maybe not good,,, but was alot......... Drugs have changed soo much.. F'ing cartels are pressing fentanyl into oxie shapes. Why because oxy are about one of the few drugs doctors are allowed to write any more that still work..

Well, I got sidetracked,,, see how easy that was old-timers shit must be setting in..

They say the first thing to go,, is your memory,, and I forgot the second....

But if you've felt the need to invest that much into air,,, must be warranted? .

Hey is that the same same place you built rooms in for your old video journal? I seem to remembered you going up a bunch of stairs carrying buckets of water, sorta like a dungeon only upstairs instead of down?

No, the first big spot I had was an attic about a quarter mile up the hill at another very old house. Being an attic, I was only able to grow for the winter, but summer was far too hot to even consider. I wanted to go perpetual, but far too much effort and expense would be involved. I mean, it's been about 5 years since and I finally was able to scrape together enough to buy a mini split AC. It's not yet charged up as that will be another expense, but at least it's bought and mounted, lol. Baby steps.

As far as potting up, I just wanted to make sure I wouldn't hurt anything if I TPed and flipped on the same day as will be the case today. I wanted to put one in 2 days ago, but I've been busy with other things, lol. Also, space in veg is getting tight with so many canopies filling out so I would prefer to 'up and flip' on same day for a while till I figure out how to best manage my limited veg space.

On another topic, WTF happened to the Unco EWC prices on Amazon? 3 weeks ago, a 30lb bag was a bit more than $18, now it's like $34. I wonder if it's a seasonal thing? Whatever, at the time it was $18, I didn't have the spare funds to get a few bags and I've just been trying to supplement top dressing with EWC with some Great White powder.

I learned a hard lesson today and I will never again use the 2 gallon fabric pots. I went through hell trying to peel the pot off the root ball of the Glue. I'm fairly sure I didn't cause any damage more or less, but the overall experience leads me to believe that she will be stressed and my penalty will be an added 10 days of bloom, or something along those lines.
First Glue.jpg

The COBs, I intend to hang individually so I will need to order more wire, a lot more and build a daisy chain harness so I can quick connect each COB to it which will make for easy change outs in the event I burn out one chip. I also am tossing around the idea of installing pulleys above each COB position and use paracord from outside the room, or to a centralized location that would allow me to effortlessly adjust COB height.
the fam.jpg

And finally, some Hydroponic Stew. I am soaking all the salt corroded parts in Clearex and water for a night. Hopefully that brings some of them back to good shape, or at least clean, then it's into long term storage. I might be giving some of this shit away too. My little pumps are priceless, but I have too many and now only need 2, lol.
Hydro Stew.jpg

I learned a hard lesson today and I will never again use the 2 gallon fabric pots. I went through hell trying to peel the pot off the root ball of the Glue. I'm fairly sure I didn't cause any damage more or less, but the overall experience leads me to believe that she will be stressed and my penalty will be an added 10 days of bloom, or something along those lines.
First Glue.jpg

The COBs, I intend to hang individually so I will need to order more wire, a lot more and build a daisy chain harness so I can quick connect each COB to it which will make for easy change outs in the event I burn out one chip. I also am tossing around the idea of installing pulleys above each COB position and use paracord from outside the room, or to a centralized location that would allow me to effortlessly adjust COB height.
the fam.jpg

And finally, some Hydroponic Stew. I am soaking all the salt corroded parts in Clearex and water for a night. Hopefully that brings some of them back to good shape, or at least clean, then it's into long term storage. I might be giving some of this shit away too. My little pumps are priceless, but I have too many and now only need 2, lol.
Hydro Stew.jpg
if I can make a suggestion I would hang on to all that stuff you never no you may want to grow some that way one day just thinking :) your plants are looking good idt that will bother that glue there tough plants!

Back
Top Bottom