Trouble making clones help needed please

Phillipallman

Hi guys well basically I'm trying to make clones ready for my next batch and I'm having problems I tried to clone 10 of them last month only 1 rooted and is now a living plant the rest wilted and died no signs of roots so the other week I tried making another 6 clones nothing happened they either went yellow leaves and died or the bottom of the stem went rotten I'm trying to clone them using just rooting powder and letting them sit in a cup of water with 24hour light but not having much luck I'm all new to this so I'm not sure if I'm cutting the right parts off the plant or there's something I'm missing as I've only managed to get 1 out of 16 too root

Re: Trouble making clones help needed pleass

Hmmm maybe I'm not giving them a high enough humidity but I'm doing the same as the guy in the video cut a part off put it in some water then take the lower branches off and scrape the bottom and split the bottom then Dab in rooting powder and leaving it in a cup of water

Hi Phillipallman,

Sorry to hear your having challenges in getting your clones to live. Can you provide insight into your methods and perhaps we can help.

I've had pretty good success (90%'ish?) with the simpler version of the methed demonstrated in the vid. shared by Emilya, just putting the cuttings in a cup of water. I do take the cuttings from as low on the plant as possible and while I've tried using rooting powder haven't found it make much if any difference.

A couple grows ago, I didn't decide I wanted a cutting until the plant was pretty late in flower and so my choice of lower level sites to trim where pretty "woody" stems as opposed to softer, pliable stems from newer growth. Was concerend that they wouldn't carry moisture upward because of this woodiness, so I crushed the base of the stems of the cutting. About the bottom 1/2" or 5/8" of the stem, and put into the water.

I hope we can help you get this challenge turned around.

Be well and happy growing.

Tap water or distilled water? Not sure it matters, just trying to help narrow down the challenge. I never worry about the humidity and haven't really found that to be a challenge.

Hi Phillipallman,

Sorry to hear your having challenges in getting your clones to live. Can you provide insight into your methods and perhaps we can help.

I've had pretty good success (90%'ish?) with the simpler version of the methed demonstrated in the vid. shared by Emilya, just putting the cuttings in a cup of water. I do take the cuttings from as low on the plant as possible and while I've tried using rooting powder haven't found it make much if any difference.

A couple grows ago, I didn't decide I wanted a cutting until the plant was pretty late in flower and so my choice of lower level sites to trim where pretty "woody" stems as opposed to softer, pliable stems from newer growth. Was concerend that they wouldn't carry moisture upward because of this woodiness, so I crushed the base of the stems of the cutting. About the bottom 1/2" or 5/8" of the stem, and put into the water.

I hope we can help you get this challenge turned around.

Be well and happy growing.

Hi guys right here is how I do it my mother plants are still vegging for a few more days so basically I pick a stem that has 2 lower leaves and 2 higher leaves with a top in the middle of them I cut about 1 inch below the bottom set of leaves then leave it in water then I remove the lower leaves and branches and scrape the bottom of the stem and make a slight cut upwards to show the insides then dip in powder and put it back in the cups of tap water in the cupboard with 24 hour led lighting I normally take them from around the bottom/middle of the plant seeing as mine are 5 foot tall lol as I mentioned previously one clone did root after 3 weeks in water and is now a living plant but I haven't treated the other clones any different to that one so don't know why they aren't rooting

I think if I read that right you are not putting the clones in a peat plug or medium just placing it in water?

If so that is the problem. That only works with an air pump and air stone and still just leaves you with an unrooted clone with roots everywhere. And you need to dump the water daily.

The best way is scrape, clip, dip in powder or liquid hormone, then place in a peat plug or RW cube and place that under a cloning hood.

There are some real cool cloning misters that work sweet but are overkill. There are a handful of more advanced ways but all of that is overkill. All you need is a medium and a hood to put them in and you technically don't even need the hormone (it just makes it work faster). Then you keep it moist in the hood for a while and after a few days they will stay standing up without the hood and you can remove it and soon the roots will come out of the peat plug and be ready to transplant.

I think if I read that right you are not putting the clones in a peat plug or medium just placing it in water?

If so that is the problem. That only works with an air pump and air stone and still just leaves you with an unrooted clone with roots everywhere. And you need to dump the water daily.

The best way is scrape, clip, dip in powder or liquid hormone, then place in a peat plug or RW cube and place that under a cloning hood.

There are some real cool cloning misters that work sweet but are overkill. There are a handful of more advanced ways but all of that is overkill. All you need is a medium and a hood to put them in and you technically don't even need the hormone (it just makes it work faster). Then you keep it moist in the hood for a while and after a few days they will stay standing up without the hood and you can remove it and soon the roots will come out of the peat plug and be ready to transplant.

Ah right ok mate well as I said before I did manage to get 1 too root just leaving it in water and its growing fine now :/ just the others won't root strange lol well I have peat pellets but find them hard to get the stems in and the last clone I put in one of them went black at the bottom of the stem :/

Magic can happen but without aerated water the roots will drown eventually. Usually if left along long enough without changing the water slime builds up. You want the peat plug or RW cube moist not wet. You want air to the stem with it being in a warm humid environment but not really soaking wet.

:goodluck:

Oh as far as getting them in...the peat plugs should be soaked first which makes them soft and pliable. then you let them dry out in the hood and you are good to go.

I agree with VI. Cloning is pretty easy. For some reason people keep trying to reinvent the wheel. Rooting them in water seems to be much less effective than using some sort of medium. Perlite also works well. I never use or need a dome, but my humidity is quite high.

Aye the see I'm trying to get clones to root as quickly as possible so I can put them straight in flower as I have 14 plants at the moment and want to make 2 monthly harvests lol

Reinventing wheels is one of my hobbies as well. I have a house full of square and triangular and dodecahedral wheels. If you want rooted clones and don't have time to experiment then probably best to just follow a basic cloning tutorial. Temps and moisture level are important. A bit of lights, etc. The basics

I take the clones the same way as you see on the YouTube video's, sterile scissors, cut your clones and place them in a glass or bowl of pH'ed water to prevent an air bubble from getting into the stem.
Have you cubes ready and damp with your pH water. The cubes I use have a placement hole in them that I make a little longer.
I use a rooting jel, have not had luck with the powder. Dip the end of you clone into the jel, I try and get at least an inch on jel on the stem.
Slip the clones into the cubes and set into a tray that you can keep them upright, once finished mist them with the pH solution.
Place these clones under a humidity dome, mist them 1 - 4 times a day, you don't want the plug too wet. I mist he inside of the humidity dome a number of time during the first days and then just make sure it's damp when I check the clones.
They are under a 4 lamp T5 using only two of the lamps.

These clones were taken on 12/3 and put in the cubes, they were planted 11 days after taken them. The final picture was taken 2/21. 26 of 26 rooted, 14 planted, I did have some damping off and lost 12 clones, that was my error for over watering/nutes them at the start.

Clone in cubes, can't say the name on here. Message me if interested
20151208_1319412.jpg

Clones set in DYI holding trays
20151208_1319261.jpg

Clones in DYI humidity chamber
20151203_1017061.jpg

Clones planted in one gallon Hempy bucktes
20151212_1805291.jpg

Three + weeks to harvest
20160222_190436.jpg

I hope this helps, I know it help me when I first started cloning. Thanks JD for this info.

GR

Fwiw (not much) I believe I've disproved the 'air bubble' myth

Test of the Air Bubble Theory - Cloning experiment.

I don't worry about keeping the cuttings in water anymore while I'm getting things together.
Keep your temps nice- like 80 degrees. Do not keep the rooting medium soaked, just moist. Cool temps and wetness lead to rot.
They don't need much light. Any old cfl above them will work. I've even heard of people rooting them in darkness (not sure why...)
Good luck!

I used just aerated water for years with great success. As long as I changed the water out regular 100% success. But that is way too much work. Now I just cut em, clean em, put em in a peat plug and in a hood and walk away and done deal.

:goodluck:

Back
Top Bottom