True hermaphrodites?

What a wonderful thing to have.. A plant that can go f**k itself ? :laugh:
But seriously, nobody pays attention to the the wart-Birthmark on Cindy Crawfords face but it's there..
If you are growing more than one of this species look at the overall structure of the plant and compare it to the others.. Males will generally look tall-taller less foliated and airy between sections.

So just as an update, I decided to just go with the flow and see what happened. And what happened was weird.

The female with the single male-looking pre-flower at the start of this thread got flipped to 12/12 in a tent over a month ago. While the male preflower turned out to be a full-on male — pollen sacs began emerging — there was no other male flowers anywhere on the plant.

Weird right? I’d expect a true hermie to have male flowers elsewhere.

In any case, the plant has now completed 6 weeks of flowering and I figure it can go another 5-6 weeks. (Please let me know what you think on this point as well, pics attached.)

I removed the male flower that formed from that odd pre-flower and haven’t had a problem since. I’ve been monitoring closely and there have been no male flowers and the female flowers have zero nanners or anything.

So has anyone else heard of a crazy one-off male pre-flower on an otherwise female plant before?

To further complicate matters, I mentioned in my original posts that other female plants also had occasional suspicious looking preflowers. None of those turned out to be a problem.

Either they just disappeared (perhaps aborted) or they’ve just apparently grown into an oddly-located random leaf.

Anyhow, I will wrap up this ramble fest by positing a theory — perhaps a dumb one — that the indeterminate male-looking preflower in my original post may have turned out to be harmless had I not switched to 12/12 so early.

Perhaps he would have dropped off or grown into a leaf, as apparently happened on other plants. Is it possible that cannabis sends out the occasional oddball pre-flower as a hedge of sort?
A129847A-DE41-402A-89F6-E0F5BDD9E752.jpeg
DC733A5F-038C-4FBF-B571-00DB40441D6C.jpeg

my growing experience has been a little different. It seemed the male was hiding out hoping not to get discovered taking on a female shape mimicking a big bushy female even all the way up until the 3rd day of 12/12.. It was then that big white buttons on the heads and sacks along the beams started showing.. I figured it was a defense mechanism against getting culled early since this is what happens to allot of males figuring over time they adapt and get sneaky..
Since I wanted this exact scenario 2 females and a male to happen so i could pollinate for seed ,I was overjoyed to see the male appear.. I also think it's in the way we LST and head chop them that we can distort how they appear in wild form and make it harder to seperate visually..

Early nanners is fairly common low on the plant and close to the main stalk. They’re usually not a problem though
See that’s exactly where I saw this male flower — only it didn’t appear out of a bud. It was an indeterminate pre-flower that turned male. Is it possible that some “nanners” are actually just rebel pre-flowers?

Back
Top Bottom