True Living Organics, Second Edition - A Review By Doc Bud

It's always such a pleasure to read The Rev's take on organic, indoor growing. As an indoor grower with my own proprietary brand of organic nutrients and methods, it is especially interesting because of the opportunity to learn from others who are growing with biological methods, not to mention it's also good to get an idea what the "competition" is doing.

First of all, as an experienced grower I can immediately recognize a true cannabis connoisseur based on the choice of photographs. The Rev most definitely understands that amazing cannabis doesn't always come in the form of a super-dense hydro indica nug! The Rev, like me, seems to prefer the graceful, wispy, colorful, flavorful and exquisite Sativas. His choice of photos tells me one thing for certain: the Rev understands terpenes, root systems, environment and how to get the best of genetics using living, organic soil.

In other words, if you follow what True Living Organics details, as instructed by The Rev, you'll end up with very high grade, supremely delicious cannabis. There isn't a hint of prohibition style cannabis mythology in this book. On the contrary, the methods shared here are for those who want to grow the plant to its genetic potential.

The book covers some very important points, with less redundant information than the previous edition. He covers making a soil, choosing amendments, avoiding synthetic nutrients, using clean water, making aerobic teas and making organic nutrient drenches which The Rev refers to as "spikes."

The section on "spikes" is streamlined and simplified in the 2nd edition and the changes are for the better.

In addition to all that, True Living Organics also offers rock solid advice on building indoor grow spaces, with very useful tips throughout, and a very generous amount of support for the "micro" grower. His recommendations for the environment are perfect as are his recommendations for lighting.

The most common pitfalls new growers face have to do with over/under watering. The Rev offers solid instructions on how to properly water, clone, transplant, prune, feed and troubleshoot cannabis. As someone who has done all he recommends and more, I can say from personal experience that he gives sage advice and truly understands what works and what doesn't.

There is even a new section on making hash using the dry-ice method and a warming plate. I had never seen a warming plate used, but as is the norm with this book, The Rev explains the reason why in clear, to-the-point language.

I have mostly high praise for this book, however when writing reviews I strive to be balanced in my approach and do not like to overlook things I might not agree with. The Rev mentions salt buildup as a problem when recycling soil. I believe that his recycling methods are to blame, as in my professional opinion he includes too much organic matter in his basic soil mix and when combined with kitchen scraps and recycled plant material into the soil the salts build up fast. This excess organic matter is going to lower soil pH, which is the other problem he identifies especially using a peat moss based soil.

I am confident that using less organic matter and simply re-supplying minerals would extend the life of the soil and increase microbial activity considerably. Excess organic matter suppresses soil life.

Another problem with The Rev's recycling methods is that the resulting soil is going to be extremely high in potassium, which will decrease certain key terpenes with successive runs. Again, this could be avoided by simply taking care to keep potassium levels down in the original mix and not recycling so much organic material into the soil.

Other than that, I am confident that any grower who follows The Rev's advice won't be disappointed in the produce!

51Zupiau5hL_SX331_BO1_204_203_200_.jpg

Author: The Rev
420 Magazine Book Review By: @Doc Bud, 420 Magazine Product Reviewer
Publisher: Green Candy Press
Purchase True Living Organics here: True Living Organics, Second Edition

I'm FINALLY about to start reading this! It was recommended to me about...hmmm...over a year ago by @Emilya It was on my to-do list and slowly went down the list unconsciously. Now I'm scrambling to learn what is inside so I can start some new soil. Started my morning with some coffee, a smoke, and this book.

20210410_092135.jpg
20210410_092515.jpg

I'm FINALLY about to start reading this! It was recommended to me about...hmmm...over a year ago by @Emilya It was on my to-do list and slowly went down the list unconsciously. Now I'm scrambling to learn what is inside so I can start some new soil. Started my morning with some coffee, a smoke, and this book.

20210410_092135.jpg
20210410_092515.jpg

20210410_092135.jpg
20210410_092515.jpg
LOS is something I have been thinking about.

Maybe I should buy the book.

Tok..
I'm enjoying the soil very much so I say do it if it suits your style. With that book and a little help here with 420mag members, things went super smooth for me. Nothing being perfect however my grows have been pretty good stellar for me since v2.2 soil of his came into my pots. There's thought provoking times but things always work out.

All of this talk has compelled me to give away my first edition and go ahead and order the 2nd edition. Nothing like a review at least, but I suspect there is a lot more in there than the version I have been using all these years. Thanks for the push, @StoneOtter !
There's rumor of another book coming from him as well I saw on the Skunk site. I have no idea exactly what's involved though. He's still chugging away.

I am not just going to jump in this, until I watch some You-tube video's and fell I have a understanding of the process.

Anyone interested in LOS should also check out.
Shango Los, Shaping Fire
The Future Cannabis Project
And the Buildasoil series of videos.

All of these are on You Tube and there are numerous discussions, some lasting for hours talking about LOS
Thank you @Nunyabiz these will give me a better understand, and accrual procedures.

Stay safe, and grow well my friend,

Tok..

I am not just going to jump in this, until I watch some You-tube video's and fell I have a understanding of the process.

Thank you @Nunyabiz these will give me a better understand, and accrual procedures.

Stay safe, and grow well my friend,

Tok..
Hit any of my journals beginning with Lemon OG Candy I believe if you want to watch some of the Rev's v2.2 soil build and growing. They're in the journals link below. I've mixed and re-amended a few times in them.

Don't discount Nunya's methods! He has incredible skills! I just got into the revs method because of its completeness. All I needed to create a fine organic supersoil and how to re amend it for multiple runs and all the pot building and tea making recipes. Matter of fact I use a few of Nunyas methods to add to my grows.

how to re amend soil
StoneOtter, Hey.

While waiting for the Bucs/Patriots game I came across one of your posts where you were taking about re-amending soil. I would really like to hear your take on it.
Have a question to ask.

Personally I’m into my 3rd year with the same soil, which I’ve stored in bulk on a concrete deck during the off season. Before reusing, I saturated it with an amendment and let dry.
I grow in 10 gal fabric pots and usually grow 10 plants.
As I write asking this question, the soil I’m alluding to is still in their pots. This year instead of storing the soil on concrete, I leaning toward putting it into 40 gal plastic garbage pots, duct tape the lids shut and store outside.

I’m wondering if I should put drain holes in the pots?

I would greatly appreciate your thoughts.
Thanks and spark up

I grabbed my book last night to start going over it again to refresh the noggin. I have grandiose plans of putting a large living soil bed (similar to the GeoPot that @Brett Blaze is using in his current grow). I am transitioning my 5x5 tent to be a dedicated living soil bed. Other future spaces, I will experiment with hydro and other methods I still want to experiment with.

What's the different in using a large circular fabric pot versus the square geopots? The geopots have plastic lining on the sides right? Doesn't defeat the purpose of the air pruning?

@StoneOtter Skunk site?
Huh?!
which I’ve stored in bulk on a concrete deck during the off season.
Hey bo. I have wondered the same about long term soil storage. I currently have soil in plastic totes but no drain holes. Only the lids which aren't air tight anyway. I am concerned about bad anaerobic stuff happening to it around the bottom sections. I mixed up some 2.2 soil earlier in the year before starting the current GSC grow. When they told me about the sponsored nutrients from @GeoFlora Nutrients , I opted to wait on using that 2.2 soil until after the GSC grow. Only fair to let the GF shine. Now...I have some kickass soil that has been sitting stagnant for months.
It is in a large plastic heavy duty plastic tote. I too wonder if that soil is worth keeping or dumping into my compost bin and starting over. Is it possible to overcook the soil or to where it has been depleted by the microbes and no longer viable for plants requiring a reamendment? Or because there was no plants eating up what the soil biology produced so it's just there in the soil as a savings account?!

Hey Baked

The 3 x 3 Bed I am using is not a GeoPot and yes it has lining down to about 3" from the bottom so it allows drainage.

Back
Top Bottom