Trying this SCROG thing all the cool kids are doing

Right now, $20-30 is my budget, so I have to go with a cheapie. Most of them look like the same thing, just packaged differently. Any advice on brands?
pH meters are fundamentally super simple devices--just a glass-tipped measuring probe hooked to an amplifier-- so even a cheapie can work just fine if you calibrate it and take care of it.

This aquarium website has some good information about pH meters and how simple they are: The world's simplest pH meter
Buying a pH meter

Decided on the Apera phb3. It's about $35, and gets tremendous reviews. I was going to splurge on a better model if theirs, but they won't ship it to me.

I looked at all the cheapies, and decided to go with quality & value.

Good reviews count for a lot to me, especially if there are a lot of them. "Preponderance of evidence" and all that.

You are chock full of very useful information! I guess I'll be following you on 420!

There was a $14 one that got good reviews, so maybe I'll go with that, then? The Apera has one point autocalibration, which I really like, and comes with a 2 year warranty from the manufacturer. But, it is $35.

I repotted my Amnesia Haze, since flushing didn't seem to help; she definitely needed it!

Next Wednesday, I'll get the screen set-up, put the girls under, veg another week (weaving everyday), then switch them to bud.

Hopefully all my new tools will be here by next week. I know I can have an amazing grow. I know it!

I'll be harvesting my current crop between Monday & Friday. I'm only hoping for 5 oz out of 5 plants. It'll probably be more, but I prefer to underestimate. I avoid disappointment that way.

There was a $14 one that got good reviews, so maybe I'll go with that, then? The Apera has one point autocalibration, which I really like, and comes with a 2 year warranty from the manufacturer. But, it is $35.

I have a super cheapie that has just one-point calibration (two points is better but more complicated) using a tiny, fiddly screw on the back, but it's adequate. A cheap instrument that is calibrated, used correctly (there's some learning and experience involved), and well maintained is better than an expensive unit that's not.

But like anything, it's worth buying better tools if you think you're going to keep using them. By the way, pH meters don't last forever.

I popped my tiny seedling into coco this morning so my latest grow is officially underway. Now to turn my attention to the stack of tedious paperwork spread out all over the floor... :p

Sounds super fun! Ha

The pen I wanted the most had a replacable probe. I know they don't last forever, but where I live I need tools that last as long as possible. If it breaks, I can't run to the pet store or hardware store to get a new one, unless I want to take a 5hr r/t. Hence, my online shopping addiction for grow supplies. :D

Back
Top Bottom