Trying to build my own grow box

Hoffbossn

I am wanting to go hydro because it's better on space and I've always wanted to grow hydro. I see the supernova box and I really wanna make something like this. Should I basically just buy the same parts that are in it.? Should I buy the supernova it's self? Or should I not grow at all because hydro and a noobie like me won't mix? Please discuss. I have all the tools here I need to make it just need the parts. Thanks all

Re: Trying to build my own grow box.

I'm certain I don't have a preference either way of you making the Box or buying the Box but if you need help with Hydroponics or anything like that or cloning or breeding your own seeds I am always up for questions and most of the time I am around

Hi Hoffbossn-- Those Supernova boxes are very nice but also very expensive! I can understand you interest in doing it yourself. If you have the tools, more or less know how to use them, and the time and the interest, why not?

I have thought about adapting an Ikea towel cabinet or something, just to save doing some of the work.

If I were doing it (and I may) I think I might start with a simple prototype first since there is a lot to learn.

Some things to keep in mind:
Lightproof baffles that pass air well but don't leak light. Can be tricky.
Noise. Bear in mind that small fans make a lot more noise than big fans moving the same amount of air.
Size: Unless you're growing dwarf strains, plants can get bushier and taller than expected. In an enclosed space, bushiness can affect airflow.
Hydro: Is awesome! I heard the term "almost out-of-control" growth, and it's true. But if it's your first grow, you might want to try soil, since hydro is a lot of mixing and monitoring. If you do decide to do hydro, I'd suggest starting with deep water culture (DWC) in a 5 gallon bucket. Do not be tempted to use a small reservoir. Your roots will get big. I'd also suggest trying Advanced Nutrients "pH Perfect" line which I has a good reputation for not requiring a lot of fussing with the pH of the reservoir. (That was my biggest challenge.)

What I'd really recommend is growing in coco coir using "drain to waste" hydroponics. That has worked fantastic on my latest grow. It's a lot like hydro, but since you give fresh solution every day, you don't have to worry about pH and nutrient ratios drifting. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

You can read about a simple and successful coco coir drain-to-waist grow in my signature file at "Growing a dwarf on my deck in coco coir and a homemade air pot"
You can read about my hydro grow in a very confined space (a fireplace) in my signature file at the second link in my sig file.

I hope that helps. Growing in a small space is kind of a special challenge, especially to do it stealthily. Good luck and have fun!

Here's a thread I have bookmarked about building a grow box:
The Anti-Journal Journal

Nah, that guy is totally clueless ;) :rofl::rofl:

If you have the tools and somewhat the skills it is a lot cheaper. Don't know if you have a Habitat for Humanity used building supply store, but I got a cabinet there cheap and the hardware needed (($30), so then all I needed was some computer fans, lights, and carbon filter material stuff and a power adapter (Goodwill for $2, as I only had one old phone charger adapter around here). I'm doing soil so you would have bit more involved money wise if you go Hydro. Just IMHO but Hydro is a lot less forgiving than soil so personally I would start there, but I"m sure folks have had luck just jumping right into Hydro. In soil you can screw up pretty majorly and still end up with something to smoke, that and I'm more "natural/organic" type of person far as that goes. That and you may find out you don't have the time/patience/ability to grow so you are out less money if it not your cup of tea if you go soil at first at least. But that just my opinion, sure you will hear the rest of the spectrum if others chime in ;).

Why not a grow tent? Easier to set up and take down can add anything to it from HPS, LED, LEC/CMH, Co2, fans carbon filter, you can even get a full kit ready to go off Amazon from cheap, but if your handy then build that box just be careful and watch temps and humidity and size of plants maybe some smaller autos would be a smart start to your first grow in your new box , I have 2 grow boxes that I never used bc just not big enough, but I like BIG plants I veg for 2 months , train and. Clone so I can have the strain if its a good producer, I suggest just looking into a kit on Amazon or just Google it are you going for HID or LED?

i use a 2x3 wardrobe i cut in half and stitched back together, painted bright white inside for my seedlings/clones, works great for me, you could get one for free or a few bucks

340w cfl, 4 inch exhaust, 4 inch intake, i did it all for less that $100, you could put an ox pot in there and have a nice little scrog and still harvest a few oz.

IMG_20170802_144810.jpg

WOW thank you all for the responses!! I am mighty excited to try and throw one of these together!!! so is the germination compartment really worth it in the grow box? or is that more work then its worth? should i buy a hydro pumps set or get a big rubber maid and make a hydro growth platform myself? Thanks all I will come back and post more q's I have when I get them. Feel free to post links to products that are needed/ convenient I know i am building this myself but id like to make it as plug and play as i can. Thanks all

if it were me i would go for a bubbler pot, 250w hps, cool tube, 4" fan and filter and thats a nice setup.

but if you are building the box from supplies i.e. buying the material, you may be better of juts buying a tent as there is plenty out there that are cheap enough now.

You can build a box. plywood, 2x2s and screws. or a tent. The price for a nice tent is probably the cheapest route. Building your own tho gives you many options as far as designing intakes and hiding your filters, screwing down powercables and strips,

Im contemplating these options as well myself.

Oh, and the hell with DWC, LOL.

If you go coco, dont lax on investing in a drip system. I personally think its a must.

If you go coco, dont lax on investing in a drip system. I personally think its a must.

My coco grow has been all manual, and I have learned a lot measuring weight loss (i.e. fluid lost overnight) pH in and out and PPM in and out, but next time there will be a pump to dispense the daily nutrient dose automatically. Drain-to-waste coco coir growing is just about the ideal candidate for automation--just add the daily dose of nutes and you're good!

No doubt,

The reason i find the need, is nute splash on the plant, especially if your scrog or sog.

nute splash? are you using a wheel barrow to water your plants? :rofl: i run scrogs and feed my plants everyday, there in coco, a great grower once said only feed enough to last them till a feed the next day, my plants get 2 litres a day and they love it!

if you want yield, go hydro!

nute splash? are you using a wheel barrow to water your plants? :rofl: i run scrogs and feed my plants everyday, there in coco, a great grower once said only feed enough to last them till a feed the next day, my plants get 2 litres a day and they love it!

if you want yield, go hydro!

LOL, nah man, but My plants are squat. I use a bigass protein powder scoop, and tuff to get to them because I tie down my branches. Probably going to start using a turkey baster till i get rain drop drip.

Back
Top Bottom