Trying to cool 16k watts in sealed room with AC. help

vangs

does anyone have a idea how big of an AC i would need to cool a sealed room with 16k watts in adjust-a-wing reflectors, with CO2 running and the dimensions of the room are 25'x25'x8'

i am considering going with an air handler if the price of the AC is close to or more than the air handler system that i would need. never had a large grow like this. hoping someone could help me out. thanks.

also, id prefer to have a system alittle more powerful than needed just so i dont strain the compressor running 100% trying to cool the room. thnks.

As big as u can afford if ur running open air lights. That's a lot of heat. I'd look into a 3 ton industrial AC unit if I were you lol.

No but seriously your gonna need a big ass ac and the 3ton would give u that breathing room you seek. Or u you could do like 9 of the LG mini splits lol

As big as u can afford if ur running open air lights. That's a lot of heat. I'd look into a 3 ton industrial AC unit if I were you lol.

No but seriously your gonna need a big ass ac and the 3ton would give u that breathing room you seek. Or u you could do like 9 of the LG mini splits lol

Thanks bro but ive been reading around and om gunna need atleast like 5tons. I found a 7hp chiller with 2 4ton air habdlers which will push out 90,000btu in total. It says that will handle 25k watts with secondairy cooling or 20k watts by itself which is perfect since it will provide slightly more power than needed.. Have you used a 3ton ac in ur setup?

I was hired by a few people about 4 years back to set up and maintain a 10k setup in an older warehouse type setup.the 3 ton was more than sufficient. We were running aircooled lights and we had the rooms split into a 4k Vega and 6 k flower. Was a great setup for what we had to work with but it was a janky place full near nosey people and a lot of paranoid stress to deal with so I stepped out after 2 years. Loved it but the stress and secrecy really blew. Too social for all that.

thanks for the info man. maybe ill buy a 4 ton then instead of 7.5 since ill have 6k more watts and i wont be aircooloing anything.
I was hired by a few people about 4 years back to set up and maintain a 10k setup in an older warehouse type setup.the 3 ton was more than sufficient. We were running aircooled lights and we had the rooms split into a 4k Vega and 6 k flower. Was a great setup for what we had to work with but it was a janky place full near nosey people and a lot of paranoid stress to deal with so I stepped out after 2 years. Loved it but the stress and secrecy really blew. Too social for all that.

That could do it. But if u have it in the budget the breathing room will give you ALOT of flexibility for experiments etc.

Hey buddy you should really look into handling this with a minisplit set up. If you have divided rooms you can get indvidual zones that you can run indempendently. I install these all the time as part of my "real" job. I am doing a much smaller water cooled grow and water is expensive. Get a good minisplit system like this MXZ-8B48NA from Mitsubishi. This is a true minisplit and you could go with just the AC's for cheaper. This system can run up to eight seperate heads. If you are handy and skilled with plumbing or HVAC (read - can make a clean flare) then the systems are not dificult to install at all. A fuck ton easier than a compressor or chiller and air handler option. The biggest thing is that a good quality minisplit will be very reliable. Of the many installs the company I work for has done, we never get call backs on the Mitsubishi. I couldnt have a compressor outside, so I chose water cooled. I have thousands into a system that can cool 2-4k watts. I get everything I need for the above for about $4800.00 and that is iwth 5 sepearte heads. This will also be exteremly efficient to run, and for your set up, you could use some electrical effieicny. Good luck and PM me if you have questions.

Sup man!,

Well i would really try and make my own cooltube for the adj-wing reflector, you would really save some cash on both the ac and the electric cost of such a huge ac.

u sound like a handy guy so shouldent be any probs at all. just search for your inner mcguyver and u willb e all set.

just my thought =)

Just a question, why use adjust a wings in lue of a large air cooled and take most of the heat out and intake and exhaust outside to keep CO2 inside room?

yes, manly to control the co2. and even with air cooled hoods, im still going to need a cooling system, wether i go with an ac, chiller etc. im going to need something cuz inlines wont keep temps down with 16000watts. id rather spend alittle more money and get a system that can cool the room itself as opposed to having powerful fans sucking the hot air out and a less powerful ac. im going to need very strong inline fans to duct 16 reflectors. possible more than 2 fans at the end... my main concern as tokeman1 said, is the electrical use. running 4 inlines powered at 1000cfm is using about 3000w an hour.(estimate) and illl still need a cooling system. So id rather skip all that and just buy a stonger ac. guessing ill need maybe 2ton ac with air cooled reflectors right? soo why not pay an extra 3grand and get a 3.5ton ac, as far as money goes, buying 16 large reflectors, 4 lg inline fans and hundred ft of insulated ducting will cost more than $3000 so it comes out even.

also
1.sealed room will allow me to control the odor much easier. ill have a filter attached to a fan in the room.
2.less use of co2. save money longterm.
3. 1 large flower room, dont need multiple cooling units
4. open reflectors gives off alittle more light than a reflector with glass.(minimal amount)
5. first time usuing UC and its gunna be hard to adjuct all those reflectors if their connected with ducting and i dont know how uneven the canopy will be.
6. i plan on running 6 of those 1000w bulbs vertical, possible even doing 10k horizontal and 10k vertical.

large grow rooms normally dont use air-cooled reflectors for that reason. theres so much overlap in light that any reflector will serve its purpose. and all that extra equipment for nothing..

idk man, maybe running air cooled reflectors is the way to go, my opinion is just using bare bulb and a strong ac. ill find out soon enough. plus i like to keep my rooms around 70-74F nowhere near 80-82F

im gunna do some research on split units from mitubishi and see whats up with those too.

Sup man!,

Well i would really try and make my own cooltube for the adj-wing reflector, you would really save some cash on both the ac and the electric cost of such a huge ac.

u sound like a handy guy so shouldent be any probs at all. just search for your inner mcguyver and u willb e all set.

just my thought =)

BRO!!! i can barley use a hammer and nail. hahahhahaha handy man is not my trait at all. im hiring people just to setup the wing reflectors to the ceilings. my skill is horticulture. thats my part. and money aint a thang but a chicken wang. lol. i saved up for a long time to make my dream room so money isnt a issue. i just cant drop crazy amounts.

BRO!!! i can barley use a hammer and nail. hahahhahaha handy man is not my trait at all. im hiring people just to setup the wing reflectors to the ceilings. my skill is horticulture. thats my part. and money aint a thang but a chicken wang. lol. i saved up for a long time to make my dream room so money isnt a issue. i just cant drop crazy amounts.

HAHA, i just figuerd, any one that are doing such a big OP would have some handy skills :D.

Even if your doing a sealed room, air vented hood are no prob. you would need 8 regular fans, turbine kind, and connect four lights on two fans each, it wont leak any odor at all. since your are venting it with air from outside the room some how. the more you do by your self the more high-end stuff you will afford, no mather your budget =)

So here is what i know of mini-splits. they are awesome for keeping constant climate for both humidity cooling and heating. Although they can be hooked up to manage multiple rooms off one unit, they run better if you get individiual mini-splits for each room , both for better efficiency and cooling power. The brand i am familiar with is Fujitsu and they run about 2500-3500 depending on installation fees for a 24,000 BTU unit that will cool 6000-8000 watts with bare bulbs and no ducting or venting. for a unit that will cool 4 rooms of that size costs 10,000$ and will not work as effectively as the 4 individual units. The 24,000 watt unit pulls 3.8 Amps!! which is less ampage than the fans it would take to vent the room let alone the portable AC or window AC you would need. Even for a small grow of 4-6k watts it would be a good investment. that way you always get the dank, no condensation on ducting if its winter, no heat stress in summer, better spectrum because you have open bulbs. Just make sure to have plenty of air circulation to spread the cold air and position the blower part of the AC across the bottoms of your lights. hang the thermostat on the other side of the room... i keep at 70-75 for the first 6-7 weeks then drop the temp to 63-66 at night fro the finally weeks before harvest. twice a day i vent all the air out of my room to replenish fresh air. I run Bottled Co2 1250 ppm. I grow in soil, with compost tea and Vegamatrix nutrients plus GO Calmg....JUSt pulled 10.6 lbs of primo VEGANIC flowers from 6 1000w lights scrogged!!!!!
If you are in New england and need any consulting please don't hesitate to PM me..

Honestly depends where your at here in michigan we get free ac.. but I've came up with a method to cool down 10,000 watts down with just fans in the summer very easy
. Can you bring cold air from outside?

Honestly depends where your at here in michigan we get free ac.. but I've came up with a method to cool down 10,000 watts down with just fans in the summer very easy
. Can you bring cold air from outside?

I live in Maine and I know all about cooling with outside air but you can't control humidity, and it gets humid in summer here, also I would fear of sucking in powdery mildew spores or other pathogens.. Not to mention You can't run CO2...

thanks for the info man. maybe ill buy a 4 ton then instead of 7.5 since ill have 6k more watts and i wont be aircooloing anything.

Just realized this thread is almost two years old now, Vangs; did you ever end up getting your room setup the way you wanted it?

Hello I'm not from clima grow but have consulted with them here's an example for you.

Let's say you are running 6-10,000 watts of hps. That's alot of heat. You'll need roughly 3.5 tons of ac.

So in my setup I run two 18,000 btu head units (mini split)
My heat pump is a mitsubishi pulse generating 3.5ton unit. Only requires half an amp to run. Yes half an amp.

So I can break it down by watts and tonnage you would need but a good stand by is you need one ton of ac per 2500 watts roughly in a sealed room. Yes you can get temps down with exterior air in cold seasons but pests will find that intake and blitzkrieg your garden.

If you want a truly dialed setup seal your room, buy a good ac unit (stay away from Window units ideally) good exhaust fan on a timer or thermostat.

Clima grow knocks it out of the park. I'm not an employee but a customer and consultant on a few rooms.

Back
Top Bottom