Trying to figure out how much to water

dallas762

Hey guys/ gals,

Im trying to figure out how much to water my babys that are about a month old. They are in the grodan 6 inch cubes and the roots are over taking the cube and coming out on the bottom and sides. They were droppy looking for a while but then i stoped watering for a couple days and they started standing back up. Some of the leaves are yellowish on the bottom leaves with brown spots. some leaves have just the brown spots and green leaves. I hand water the cubes and as of now they are eating twice a day and about 1/2 to a full cup each time. I will try and get pics up today when they wake up but for the most part what i have said is a good idea of what is going on. Any advice would help and i would be very thankful.

Just using them to grow in not really trying to go with the ebb and flow just feed them like this. its more of a trial run.

Well it's just going to be a balancing act. I think you answered your own question when mentioning you lightened your waterings and noticed a change for the better.

Your plant will always tell you whats wrong, I'd stick with that route for now and just adjust accordingly.

When you say eating twice a day, is that watering or feeding, to me they both seem too much, just water when it gets a bit dry. But not too dry as your using cubes so they need to be damp for root development.

i used to water my plants all the time..just a thought, maybe you should toss that cube into some promix or sumthin...the roots growing out the bottom and sides will just die off right? if they arent working towards the water under em? i dont knoow much about hydro....if it was in some soil, youd only have to water every once in a while, for instance mine are in five gallon buckets and ill go five or six days without watering...theres this point where one more day and theyd willt but they look there best right before dried out comes..but i do mist em every day untill two weeks into flower

But yeh defo mate what prairiepoet and Kdogsgirls says, Didnt notice your roots were out, yeh get them into some big ass pots lol. post some pics

An can I add how much love I have for this website and all its members, there no bullshit kids giving out shit like other grow sites, just a lot of help from EVERONE here , thanx 420 and the rest of you stoners, your a lot of help!!
:bong:

cOME ON WORLD LETS ALL JUMP ON CALIFORNIA'S BAND WAGON, THEY GOT IT, IM SOOOOO JEALOUS!!

Yo yo yo you need to trnsplant those babys and stop feeding them so much! There no medium for them to grow in? Is this a hydro? What is with the cubes? The cubes are over rated and should be used for week one only! Then pulled out and planted! Dont keep them so wet! Good luck i will keep up with you! Peeeeeeace!

Ok so i transplanted them into some soil mix that is sopse to be great and they and now in 3 gallon pots. Still have not watered sence my last post cuz the cubes are still damp. I pulled away most of the rockwool that i could without damaging the root system so they are still somewhat in rockwool. They will probably eat (flush or nut. solution) tonight. Thanks you all for your words of wisdom this is truly a great site. I will really try and post pics tonight after my class. keep posted for pics and please do tell me if you see something wrong with the girls. Thanks again guys/gals Its ofter 420 gtg

Ok so i transplanted them into some soil mix that is sopse to be great and they and now in 3 gallon pots. Still have not watered sence my last post cuz the cubes are still damp. I pulled away most of the rockwool that i could without damaging the root system so they are still somewhat in rockwool. They will probably eat (flush or nut. solution) tonight. Thanks you all for your words of wisdom this is truly a great site. I will really try and post pics tonight after my class. keep posted for pics and please do tell me if you see something wrong with the girls. Thanks again guys/gals Its ofter 420 gtg

Well, great that you transplanted them, I'm sure they needed it. Not knowing your grow room size and what you can accommodate, 3 gallon should be ok.

You should of watered after you transplanted them, at least just plain pH'd water. At least in my not so humble opinion.

Also, I wouldn't have pulled the rock wool away for any reason besides mold or algae. I would of just stuck the cube in the transplant material and covered up around it (and then watered).

Sort of the problem on open public forums and people tossing out quick fixes. Which might not always be the wisest ideal to follow. Though everyone's grow works differently.

I will suggest that you really should spend more time reading up on how to grow. Here is the best place to start.

And then I find this....
How do I go from rockwool to a soil mix?

How big are your rockwool cubes?

I wanted to respond to the original question on WHEN TO WATER.

Aside from the previously mentioned "Root Binding" from too small a pot for your growing plant, I always like to suggest the LIFT METHOD.

Just LIFT your pot when the plant is freshly watered and remember how heavy it feels. Wait about 4-5 days, or until the plant begins to show signs of dehydration. Leaves starting to droop a bit. Plant not looking as solid and upstanding as normal. Now, LIFT the pot again and compare the weight to the freshly watered state.

And don't worry! Plants need some DRY cycles over the course of the growing months for more gas exchange with the root system and the air. If you keep your pots constantly saturated, you are basically suffocating your plant's roots!

Ideally, you want to water your plant when the weight of the pot is in between these two extremes with more of an emphasis on the dry side than the wet side. If you can use this method for a few weeks, and check off your waterings on a calendar, you will soon have the natural watering cycle for your plant.

Unless you change pots or the plant more than doubles in size, this schedule should not need to be changed by more than a day or so per week. :)

You asked a GOOD question and one that a lot of newbie growers fail to ask. As a direct result, a lot of them end up watering their plants TO DEATH!... Literally! ;)

P.S. Rockwool is designed to be planted into soil. If you truly have healthy root development from your clone, even if roots are not yet sticking through the wool, you can put it into soil immediately, cube and all. Water it with some B1 transplant solution and fish emulsion added and let it be for about 5-7 days. The roots quickly grow through through the wool and out into the soil. Within a week or so, the portion encased in the Rockwool becomes less and less vital to the plant, and eventually, the Rockwool breaks down in the soil.

Yay dallas sounds like you got her handled ! Sweet so lets get some pics now ! They grow up so quick!

Back
Top Bottom