Trying to understand grams per watt

Yes indeed

Some strains grow or yield much better than others, some faster, some longer

But if yield isn't a major concern, grow what u like, or try a few like I did when I started

Same as some strains more friendly to beginners and others are for more advanced growers, but you can have one pop from seed from same Strain act differently (or be more particular) than others from same batch. Some places you get seeds will state what level grower in their opinion, a place to start anyway.

I guess this is a good way to judge how you are doing it. While I keep track of plant weights each grow. I never use this info to figure out weight per watt.

I use big lights and get what I get LOL.

I don't even completely keep track of weights, well I don't write them down so they only in my head. And I use the lights I have ;) and get what I get :rofl: . But I'm more in the "quality over quantity" mindset, as I'd rather have 3 zips of good-killer smoke than 10 zips of "meh-I think I just hacked a lung" ;)

I'm completely agree! Quality over quantity makes most sense for me as well.

However, I have seen quite a few post from various sites where people are always talking about "grams per watt" and I was just trying to clear up some confusion in my head...
It just didn't seem like an accurate way to estimate your yield.

Thanks for all the replies!

light is the most important thing in any grow, followed by co2 supply, nutrients. gram per watt is tough to achieve for most growers. For a 4x4 area you have too much light. In a tent scenario anyway. Max you want is 1000w per m2 (4x4).

No matter how much light you have, your footprint matters too. A half decent grower should aim for 500grams per m2, thats not bad at all.

light is the most important thing in any grow, followed by co2 supply, nutrients. gram per watt is tough to achieve for most growers. For a 4x4 area you have too much light. In a tent scenario anyway. Max you want is 1000w per m2 (4x4).

No matter how much light you have, your footprint matters too. A half decent grower should aim for 500grams per m2, thats not bad at all.

I have 930 watts total in a 4x4 tent so based on what yous saying, I'm just about max?

Originally I had the two 600 watt Led's over them, but someone gave me a 400 watt hps lamp with a cool tube that they no longer used so, I decided to throw that into the tent as well. I have the led's on an angle; more for supplemental side lighting.

All the lights are about 12" above the canopy which is 30" x 32" total area as for right now. They seem to be doing fine at this height and the canopy temp is 79 degrees.

I have about 42" from the top of the canopy to the top of the tent.
If my canopy did fill out the whole tent (which it wont ), but hypothetically if it did, do you think raising up the lights to cover the whole 4x4 area would still be sufficient? Should I space the plants out and raise the lights up anyways?

I'm not too concerned with yields this grow, it's also my first and I'm really just experimenting, trying out different things and gaining knowledge!!!

Thanks for all the replies!
-

Attachments

• 20190103_164411.jpg
    20190103_164411.jpg
    844.4 KB · Views: 58
Is anyone get one pound per plant indoor.
Sure. And more. But, I think like others have said it's quality over quantity. If you grow a pound of mids yer gram per watt could be on point, but it's still mids.

well you can grow large plantys with huge yields with A+++ quality but the point is its not worth it. Not in terms of time anyway as its way better spent getting more grows in.

Now i see your leds and hid it makes alot more sense. LED of those type are better for supplementale lighting and your 400w hps will do the mass.

Have a read of my journals if this is your first grow, you will learn alot mate.

well you can grow large plantys with huge yields with A+++ quality but the point is its not worth it. Not in terms of time anyway as its way better spent getting more grows in.

Now i see your leds and hid it makes alot more sense. LED of those type are better for supplementale lighting and your 400w hps will do the mass.

Have a read of my journals if this is your first grow, you will learn alot mate.

Started going through some of yours posts and journals, great info! Also got some good links to others from yours as well!

Thanks man!

Is anyone get one pound per plant indoor.

You like a two and a half month (or longer) vegetative growth phase, lol?

Come to think of it, I seem to remember that LEDRF managed - with an autoflower. Or maybe that was a kilogram (2.2 pounds). Whatever, it was a pretty good harvest. Record for an autoflower, maybe, IDK.

This is the new seed line. I was also given Crystal queen whit out the fancy raping.
This is a Eight week old I topped and manifolding and cloned. She is white widow.
I will top and clone every eight node back to six nodes. Until I have over 500 nodes.

If every node gets 2 grams then that 1000 grams. For the one pound.

Attachments

• 20190104_172418.jpg
    20190104_172418.jpg
    345.5 KB · Views: 39
  • 20190104_172403.jpg
    20190104_172403.jpg
    320.9 KB · Views: 42
  • 20190103_155039.jpg
    20190103_155039.jpg
    645.4 KB · Views: 47
  • 20190102_125952.jpg
    20190102_125952.jpg
    319.2 KB · Views: 48
  • 20190102_125600.jpg
    20190102_125600.jpg
    397.5 KB · Views: 35
  • 20190102_125152.jpg
    20190102_125152.jpg
    510.9 KB · Views: 40
Just when you thought it all made sense what about the difference between growing with 930 Watts of HPS vs 930 Watts of LED vs 930 Watts of CMH. Assuming all is actual Watts from the wall. I assume all three of these light systems would produce vastly different weights in bud? So the whole gram per watt theory is really nonsense... no?

More then watts? You need the nodes.
If take a teen with 10 nodes and she gets 4 to 8 grams a node. The mid point will be 60 to 80 grams.
If you have a super cropped teen with 100 nodes and every node get 3 to 6 grams the mid point will be 450 gram to 600 grams.
In 2800 k with a out Put of 400 to 600

Back
Top Bottom