Tutorial: Homemade Pipe Made From Your Plant Remains

Happy New Year BeezLuiz! I'm going to need pics on how to do this with a curved stem though...in 2019 ;).
Sure thing - I'll add that to my 2019 "to do" list. :Namaste:
That is beautiful. I might just have to give that a try. Thank you very much.
I hope you do give it a try. Post pics if you do! :)
Happy new Year beez! That Gandalf pipe is amazing! There Will be spirit pipes in 2019:high-five:
I am sure of it!! :cool:

Happy New Year BeezLuiz! I'm going to need pics on how to do this with a curved stem though...in 2019 ;).

As promised, here's a few pics on making the Gandalf pipe. I wasn't very good about taking pics during the stem bending phase as I wasn't sure it was going to work.
Here's what I did for the stem: I found a slightly curved branch, soaked it in water for a couple hours. I then put in my vise to straighten it out so that I could drill the center out once it dried. Then I soaked it again for about 3 hours so that I could put the bend back in and more. I then placed it in my highly technical homemade stem-bending rig until it was dry. Here's a pic:
Also some pics of carving out the bowl. Bigger bowl = bigger drill bits. :D

The pipe smoked OK, but could have benefited from a slightly larger stem channel. When soaking the stem to make the bend, the stem had expanded a bit, thus constricting the airway somewhat. The smoke was nice, none the less.:cool:

Here's what I did for the stem: I found a slightly curved branch, soaked it in water for a couple hours. I then put in my vise to straighten it out so that I could drill the center out once it dried. Then I soaked it again for about 3 hours so that I could put the bend back in and more. I then placed it in my highly technical homemade stem-bending rig until it was dry.
Thanks BL! I was hoping for some magical bending drill bit :). I'm not sure if the stem I'm thinking of using will straighten with soaking but I'm going to give it shot. Along with your fancy bending/straightening rig!

Takes a little practice. Good luck! :goodluck:

By the way, to help with splintering, be sure to start with a very small diameter bit and then gradually switch to larger diameters until you get the size you want. Also, don't try to go too fast, use light pressure. This should minimize the splintering.

Coming soon.

I thought I could get away with just putting a hole in it instead of making the perpendicular part and connecting it to the end to form a bowl part of the pipe and I don't think that will work for anyone other than a 1/64th gram bowl LOL

I think I let the stems sit too long and they dried out way too much and are splintering. :( I'll post some when I get a chance to actually put a few hours into them so get ready to laugh! :ganjamon:

Actually I thought about making a "one piece" pipe, but haven't tried yet. Should be doable if the diameter is large enough. I've still got materials from a couple plants that were harvested in October, so we'll see if there is such a thing as "drying to long".

Good luck on your project :popcorn:

Awesome thread BeeZ !!! great job
I have repaired several wooden boats I have had many years ago and the best way to shape and curve/straighten most wood is to steam it for an hour or so , The Heat really really makes a difference maybe also try soaking in the hottest tap water you have .
I just sent 2 Alien Cheddar to flower about 2 weeks ago and there main stalks are So Big !! I will definately be making a few of these this spring
Thank You very much for the Tutorial

Thank you! I look forward to seeing some pics once you do it. :popcorn:

Back
Top Bottom