Twisting leaves

Darrenb94

420 Member
Hi! This is my 2nd attempt at growing and I am terrified that I am doing something wrong, please help. Leaves are twisting,
16219149966765395402232710582936.jpg
16219150453101269300481281161427.jpg
16219150773554863524433440324187.jpg

I get twisty leaves often. Like Lister said, it seems pretty common in new early growth.

I like to think it happens because we've provided such a rich and nutritious environment for our plants, they try to grow faster than they're able to and all the protective outer cells can't keep up with the inner less complicated cells.

That's what I like to think....whether it's true is another matter :D

Your plants look really good, btw! :green_heart:

I am so relieved to hear that, it's amazing to think that a plant is almost like your child. Parents are always excessively worried. My first grow didn't work out because of a mold problem but this one has just blown my mind. Thanks yall!!!

Hi! This is my 2nd attempt at growing and I am terrified that I am doing something wrong, please help. Leaves are twisting,
16219149966765395402232710582936.jpg
16219150453101269300481281161427.jpg
16219150773554863524433440324187.jpg
If the edges are curling or brown, they are most likely overfed, which most new growers do.
It looks as though you are growing in soil, my suggestion is to get a EC meter and start reading the Electrical Conductivity (EC) of your liquid food going into the soil and than reading the discharge water coming out of the soil after feeding.
Good luck

Welcome Darren,

One of the most common problems is overwatering by not allowing the soil to dry out between watering sessions. Watering on a set schedule gets many in trouble, small plants don’t need water every day or every 2 days. They need water when the soil drys out.

looks great so far!
I oh yeah! I figured that out after I got my first 3 fingered leaves and it was wilting, but I've adjusted my watering to the 1 inch finger test and it seems to be working pretty well!

The finger test is ok for houseplants or garden stuff but it leaves much room for error on this crop. Gravity works so when top layer of soil is dry - the bottom layer is still very much wet. Starting out we advise new growers to adapt to lift the pot method. Fill a same size container with the same soil mix but do not add any water. Use the empty contained filled with dry soil as a comparison weight, lift the pot and compare its weight to your plant. Some folks use kitchen scales too. The plant itself weighs nothing so the difference is the weight of the water.

For most soil types and especially for new growers it’s pretty important to avoid overwatering. Overwatering happens by not waiting long enough for the soil to dry out between watering sessions. Now if you were an already skilled grower using LOS you could water much more frequently, like every day - but for now it’s essential to use the wet dry cycle. Where you are currently headed is the wet / soaked cycle and probs will arise if you continue this practice.

Your plants are not tiny and they won’t croak if you start to stretch the days between water sessions. A plant that size should be able to 4 to 5 days easy with no water added. When the soil dries out all the way to the bottom the plant will build fine root hairs to search for water. By repeating this process week after week you build a bigger rootball. Bigger roots = bigger fruits.

work the wet dry cycle in veg but in flower you can keep the soil moist

The finger test is ok for houseplants or garden stuff but it leaves much room for error on this crop. Gravity works so when top layer of soil is dry - the bottom layer is still very much wet. Starting out we advise new growers to adapt to lift the pot method. Fill a same size container with the same soil mix but do not add any water. Use the empty contained filled with dry soil as a comparison weight, lift the pot and compare its weight to your plant. Some folks use kitchen scales too. The plant itself weighs nothing so the difference is the weight of the water.

For most soil types and especially for new growers it’s pretty important to avoid overwatering. Overwatering happens by not waiting long enough for the soil to dry out between watering sessions. Now if you were an already skilled grower using LOS you could water much more frequently, like every day - but for now it’s essential to use the wet dry cycle. Where you are currently headed is the wet / soaked cycle and probs will arise if you continue this practice.

Your plants are not tiny and they won’t croak if you start to stretch the days between water sessions. A plant that size should be able to 4 to 5 days easy with no water added. When the soil dries out all the way to the bottom the plant will build fine root hairs to search for water. By repeating this process week after week you build a bigger rootball. Bigger roots = bigger fruits.

Bravo.....Never heard or read a better description on when to water, or when not to water plants in soil.

Lol honestly, reading that I feel dumb! I will follow this protocol, thank you so much!

Here is more in depth article by Emilya Water a potted plant
Just last week I was looking for that article to show a buddy, saved it on my pc but couldn't find it. How about that.
With your handle, you remind me of a British Spy, are you?

Keep up the good work, this forum, actually any and all forums live and die on their members participation.
Go for it.
"Most excellent Garybo", I've received other names and adjectives referring to me in the past, but never Most excellent....maybe I should change my handle...lol.
Spark up

Ditto on the spark up!

This is a very cool forum, I’m still a newbie but the opportunity to learn from others is huge. I‘ve got one singular skill - I can kill most anything beans, seedlings, clones, mothers even whole plants, why just the other week I killed a gorgeous 8 week old amnesia haze growing in hempy format. The lesson there was don’t accidentally mix organic feed into hempy cuz it needs to be sterile..... hope I don’t cross that threshold again.

Hey have you guys got a journal up? It’s cool if you don’t but it would be nice to cruise thru your garden...

Back
Top Bottom