Two's Company, Three's A Crowd

Will I get 6 zips at the finish line?

• Total voters

3fingerdSean

Im into small personal grows. This recent experiment involves 3 GG#4 fems and a single 3 gal pot. The idea was to research the "limiting factors" of growth by adding more than 1 bean to a pot (not recommended lol). You cannot see #3 here as its only about 2-3 inches tall lol and is actually left out of the pics because I suspect genetic defects of the plant rather than being limited by the other plants. The plants are 2 months old above ground and about a foot and a half tall. Using small doses & concentrations with tight tolerances (soil grow). Just 100 watts in veg for 7 weeks with two Gen 6 Vero 29 cobs @ 4000K. Gone into flower last week with 165 watts of 2700K 3 watt Osram leds and turning off the cobs. Trying for 1+ gram per watt so hoping for nearly 6 zips from what you see. Everything is super healthy and theres no bugs, diseases, def's, or tox. Just good homegrown for a safe tobacco alternative over here. I owe Robert an apology at 420, These last beans of his I got are truly top notch (will buy again). The small fan is a reference to size here. I am pretty confident now 2 beans can grow quite well together per 3 gal pot, But believe the 3rd bean to be too much. I have another copy of this experiment in the closet and the bagseed I planted with 2 gg#4 beans just took over the pot grew huge and the other two plants are miserable compared. So much that I uprooted the third as unviable. The second is only about 6 inches tall yet really nice. No pics of that pot but I'm hoping the bag seed is a male so I can seed crop all this. These gg#4 plants your seeing appear to be heavy indica phenos. Happy as ever & having fun learning. The buds are on the way!

This is 2 plants in the same container-started out in a 3 gallon,up-potted to a five gallon bucket
when they got too rootbound in the 3 gallon,and their growth slowed way down.
I had never transplanted a full grown plant before(or 2 in this case),but they loved it,never got any leaf droop or any other stress symptoms.
You MAY find yourself thinking "If they're doing this well in 3 gallons,How would they do in 5?"

Those are beautiful, Very nice !, Yes I have transplanted huge plants due to suspecting root binding. Its not worth it. At least if its as late as I did it. Starting in a 5 would be the better plan. Do you remember the weight you got from that pot?

Actually,I didn't have a scale at that time,but they ended up filling x2-2quart mason jars,and x1-1 quart,
6-7 oz maybe? (bagseed,but very good smoke)

She actually came from a bagseed male & female that I pollinated,& got about 50 seeds.
so I guess the strain would be Bagseed#2? :)

You Know Albert Einstein said if we knew what we were doing this wouldn't be called research. At some point we must throw our titles out the window and and accept failure and success as they come. You were quite successful there.

Im into small personal grows. This recent experiment involves 3 GG#4 fems and a single 3 gal pot. The idea was to research the "limiting factors" of growth by adding more than 1 bean to a pot (not recommended lol). You cannot see #3 here as its only about 2-3 inches tall lol and is actually left out of the pics because I suspect genetic defects of the plant rather than being limited by the other plants. The plants are 2 months old above ground and about a foot and a half tall. Using small doses & concentrations with tight tolerances (soil grow). Just 100 watts in veg for 7 weeks with two Gen 6 Vero 29 cobs @ 4000K. Gone into flower last week with 165 watts of 2700K 3 watt Osram leds and turning off the cobs. Trying for 1+ gram per watt so hoping for nearly 6 zips from what you see. Everything is super healthy and theres no bugs, diseases, def's, or tox. Just good homegrown for a safe tobacco alternative over here. I owe Robert an apology at 420, These last beans of his I got are truly top notch (will buy again). The small fan is a reference to size here. I am pretty confident now 2 beans can grow quite well together per 3 gal pot, But believe the 3rd bean to be too much. I have another copy of this experiment in the closet and the bagseed I planted with 2 gg#4 beans just took over the pot grew huge and the other two plants are miserable compared. So much that I uprooted the third as unviable. The second is only about 6 inches tall yet really nice. No pics of that pot but I'm hoping the bag seed is a male so I can seed crop all this. These gg#4 plants your seeing appear to be heavy indica phenos. Happy as ever & having fun learning. The buds are on the way!
so its one plant? gonna be close but prob can do it!!

This is 2 plants in the same container-started out in a 3 gallon,up-potted to a five gallon bucket
when they got too rootbound in the 3 gallon,and their growth slowed way down.
I had never transplanted a full grown plant before(or 2 in this case),but they loved it,never got any leaf droop or any other stress symptoms.
You MAY find yourself thinking "If they're doing this well in 3 gallons,How would they do in 5?"
Carcass.. is there any particular reason for potting up.. baring roots being pot bound.. what I mean is could I plant a seedling directly into the pot I would like it to finish in? or do they not take well going directly into a large pot?

this is a curious thing, more than one seed in a pot lol
i wonder what your motivation was? purely research? your 2 previous plants look like they came off alright for it lol

This is purely research as its a fact they grow bigger & better alone. However the question of how many can grow together kept coming to mind. Its cool to see carcass already explored the question and has good results.

To answer @Leappy's question,I usually start seedlings in a solo cup-easier to water properly,and they take up a lot less space and resources (soil,etc.)-then when they have developed a good root system,which is easy to check in a solo cup,I'll transplant them into their final container.
These,however,were just kind of a test to see if they were viable,so they both started in a 3 gallon pot of used soil,because I didn't really think they were going to grow.
So it didn't start out as a 2 seeds per pot experiment,but it ended up being one.
I up potted to a larger 5 gallon container because I figured the roots probably needed more room,and I was right-I saw they were totally rootbound when I did the transplant.
These plants,even seedlings,put out an amazingly large root system (check out some hydro grows-the roots are unreal)

To answer @Leappy's question,I usually start seedlings in a solo cup-easier to water properly,and they take up a lot less space and resources (soil,etc.)-then when they have developed a good root system,which is easy to check in a solo cup,I'll transplant them into their final container.
These,however,were just kind of a test to see if they were viable,so they both started in a 3 gallon pot of used soil,because I didn't really think they were going to grow.
So it didn't start out as a 2 seeds per pot experiment,but it ended up being one.
I up potted to a larger 5 gallon container because I figured the roots probably needed more room,and I was right-I saw they were totally rootbound when I did the transplant.
These plants,even seedlings,put out an amazingly large root system (check out some hydro grows-the roots are unreal)
Thank you Carcass :bongrip:

Back
Top Bottom