Types of growing medium

Beateo

Hi, I am getting ready to start my first grow. I've been looking at TONS of different items for sale to grow with... I want to keep things as simple as possible and was wondering..... I see so many different types of stuff people use to put their plants in: Won't pot just grow in plain old dirt mixed with something like perlite to loosen the soil? Thanks.

To an extent yes, but if your looking for quality then you must use quality products. If you are a complete newbie I'd suggest using foxfarm happy frog potting soil, don't feed at all just water for up to 6 weeks of veg time, find a good organic growth, bloom, and micro nutrient and start with lite feeding schedule once flower cycle is induced. The key is to not worry bout pH, everything in the soil will maintain a good pH zone as long as nothing is wrong ie too much water, food, toxic water.... Everything else along the way you'll have to adjust as needed as all plants eat, drink different amounts, times ......

I started my first grow this spring as well. What I have learned since May is keep it simple the first go-round. There is a lot of information out there about nutrients, soils, teas etc. I actually started with Happy Frog and added some worm castings, bat guano (high N) rock phosphate, blood and bone meal, dolomite and azomite. All of which I got from a local nursery. I spent about 100 bucks for the mixture. Then I got some Age Old Organics, "Grow" and "Kelp" and let the plants do their thing. Just switched to Age Old Bloom cuz I just saw signs of sex. Age Old is pretty easy to use thats why Im using it. I have some great results so far!!

Thanks raisingcain. Wow! you bought commercial stuff and then added like 8 other things to it. I NEVER thought I'd ever be thinking about spending $100 on a tub of DIRT! lol Congrats on your results! I hope I'm as lucky the first time around.

Yeah I was looking for a simple "just add water" mixture and I forgot to add I "cooked" the soil while my seedlings were growing. I didn't think I would be as interested in the growth process as I am now. Sub a lot of grow journals and browse through the FAQ sections on this site and you will learn a TON and meet some pretty cool people at the same time. I'm only in pre-flower stage and can't wait to start a new grow indoors. Cheers! Have fun and good luck!

Back
Top Bottom