Typical cost of Cannabis across the world

and in South Africa you can expect to pay anything from (SA Rand equivalent of) $1 for commercially grown Swazi/Lesotho weed to $25 a gram for the good stuff...even higher if you are not streetwise or connected.

After moving back and forth between the east and west coast the price fluctuations were astonishing. On the east coast the prices were nearly double if you didn't have a good connect. The majority of people I met on the east coast were paying outrageous prices for all types of weight. This is all based on "headies".

I suppose that I should be glad I don't live in Japan, but I imagine at that price it's a much higher quality especially with their agricultural genius and the fact that they've probably been growing it a lot longer than most other places have. Thanks for sharing! It's an old post though, is it still fairly relevant even today prices wise, though?

{...}Japan, but I imagine at that price it's a much higher quality

I would assume that the price reflects the danger involved with growing/possessing/selling it far more than it is any indicator of the level of quality:

If a person gets caught cultivating or importing any amount of cannabis into Japan, that is a sentence of up to seven years in prison. If it is determined that the person did either of those two things for profit, the sentence is up to ten years and they may also be fined up to 3,000,000 yen ($28,799.10 US).

Any person who unlawfully possesses, receives, or transfers any amount cannabis will go to prison for up to five years. If they did so for profit, the penalty is up to seven years with the possibility of a fine of up to 2,000,000 yen ($19,199.40 US).

Oh, and in a very real sense, you are literally "guilty unless proven innocent" if you are arrested for a cannabis-related offense in Japan. In all likelihood, you will be detained from the time of your arrest until the conclusion of your trial (IOW, no bail), which will not be for some time.

IOW, if someone gets caught selling you a joint, they could easily be locked up for years. (If the arresting officer waits until you take possession, so could you.) With the possibility of that sort of thing, they're probably going to charge you an arm, a leg, and both testicles even for a stem with a couple of leaves on it.

See also:
Japan: Cannabis Laws

I would assume that the price reflects the danger involved with growing/possessing/selling it far more than it is any indicator of the level of quality:

If a person gets caught cultivating or importing any amount of cannabis into Japan, that is a sentence of up to seven years in prison. If it is determined that the person did either of those two things for profit, the sentence is up to ten years and they may also be fined up to 3,000,000 yen ($28,799.10 US).

Any person who unlawfully possesses, receives, or transfers any amount cannabis will go to prison for up to five years. If they did so for profit, the penalty is up to seven years with the possibility of a fine of up to 2,000,000 yen ($19,199.40 US).

Oh, and in a very real sense, you are literally "guilty unless proven innocent" if you are arrested for a cannabis-related offense in Japan. In all likelihood, you will be detained from the time of your arrest until the conclusion of your trial (IOW, no bail), which will not be for some time.

IOW, if someone gets caught selling you a joint, they could easily be locked up for years. (If the arresting officer waits until you take possession, so could you.) With the possibility of that sort of thing, they're probably going to charge you an arm, a leg, and both testicles even for a stem with a couple of leaves on it.

See also:
Japan: Cannabis Laws

Well, I definitely had no clue about that but it would definitely explain why the costs are so much. That seems like quite a high risk venture and probably not worth the risk for dabbling in. I do appreciate you sharing and will most definitely check out more into this just out of curiosity more than anything as I do not reside in Japan, but it just seemed like such a high price so I only assumed the quality would be better!

280 to 300 a oz in Australia in my part but have paid more when traveling

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

That's everywhere I've lived.

Nice user name, HazedConfused! And welcome to 420Magazine.com - the most comprehensive (and friendliest) cannabis-awareness forum on the Internet.

It is true Japan is expensive... I was in Okinawa and it was $100 a gram and I'm sure that was you know the tourist price. But I guess that's why so many people don't smoke weed in Japan plus the little bit that I did smoke with super immature looking and very very fragrant.

That's crazy. $100 for enough to roll up a nice-sized joint. With prices like that, they don't need prohibition laws. It's priced so expensively that only the uber-rich can afford it - and they've been ignoring laws that don't suit them since time began. Look at the late President Kennedy who - just before signing the Cuban embargo - called upon his head of press (Pierre Salinger) to go and get 1,000 Cuban cigars for him. The next morning, Salinger walked into his office where the direct line was already ringing. He was told to come to Kennedy's office immediately. He did, and gave over the cigars (which turned out to number 1,200 instead of the requested 1,000). At which point:
Salinger remembers, “He took out a long paper which he immediately signed. It was the decree banning all Cuban products from the United States. Cuban cigars were now illegal in our country.”

(Just think, if he'd told the @sshole no, the embargo might never have happened, lol.)

But, to the ordinary working-class citizen, $100 per gram IS prohibition.

Back
Top Bottom