UglyMuppet's First Grow Easyrider

ever since i added the extra CFLs I'm running into high cabinet temps... they are as high as 88!!! i hope this isn't to high for them... i have to crack the door and blow cooler air into the cabinet. it did get a little warm here today. i hope it cools down tonight. also i had to add another 2 gal of water tonight. thats 4 gals in 24 hours. i think it is the plants using the water to try to cool off. res temps are at 73-75. i will reroute the fans and maybe add some intake computer fans tomorrow when i finish cleaning out the garage. pics will come soon.

the added CFLs seem to be helping with the lower and side parts of the plants. they are starting to fill in nicely now. i have a mix of 6 and 8 2700k and 6500k CFLs on each of all 4 sides of the cabinet now. i am experimenting with giving as much light to all parts of the plants to get the highest yield i possibly can get. i should have picked up a 600w, or even a 1000w, and not settled for the 400w.

I'm right there with you on the CFL/temp issue. I've had between six to twelve 23W CFLs in my 3x2 tent along with the LEDs and easily ran in the upper 80's if I'm not careful.

No worries, they look great! Wether you had gone 600W or not... it is what it is. And looks like you're making the best of it!

Who knows, with the added CFLs you may do better than a solo 600 W HPS. I have read that 6500k CFLs are a good supplement to HPS to balance out the spectrum.

the added CFLs seem to be helping with the lower and side parts of the plants. they are starting to fill in nicely now. i have a mix of 6 and 8 2700k and 6500k CFLs on each of all 4 sides of the cabinet now. i am experimenting with giving as much light to all parts of the plants to get the highest yield i possibly can get. i should have picked up a 600w, or even a 1000w, and not settled for the 400w.

Hey m8, 400w is more then enough for the small space that you have to grow. I use a 600w HPS in my flowering tent and the temps rise a bit even with a 4x4x7 tent.

Your side lighting is great and the 400 is more then enough unless you build a larger space. Plant in fact can get to much light....although its alot, it does happen to people that add to much light for the space.....and its a waste of money because plants will only use as much light as they need.

Happy growin!

update

day 33

added 4 gallons of water to the res today...2 this morning and 2 just now. this thing holds 11 gallons of water. temps have stabilized to around 80 tops with an added fan to blow air into the cracked door.
i added the toadstool deodorizer to the inside on the cabinet. these plants STINK!!!! i could smell them outside my closed garage from about 20 feet. the unit i built have all but eliminated that in 15 mins!!!
but ... i have started to build a carbon filter to help combat future stink.

the tallest plant is over 23 inches tall now. bud sites all over the place.
added some nutes to the 2 gallons of water i added tonight. roots look great. but things are sure getting crowded in there. the plants are right up to the CFL side lighting. but i do not see any damage as of yet. i will keep an eye on them so they don't get burned. but, i don't think they mind getting close.

and onto the pictures....

PROJECT_PICS_0017.JPG

PROJECT_PICS_0027.JPG

PROJECT_PICS_0037.JPG

PROJECT_PICS_0048.JPG

PROJECT_PICS_0058.JPG

PROJECT_PICS_0066.JPG

PROJECT_PICS_0076.JPG

PROJECT_PICS_0084.JPG

PROJECT_PICS_0123.JPG

PROJECT_PICS_0132.JPG

last night i turned off the pump for the sprayers inside the res. then i added water and nutes until the water level was half way up the net pots (an extra 6 gallons). thus reverting the res to a DWC unit (i have 4 large air stones and two pumps supplying bubbles to the res). the plants looked like they love it....this morning the plants look nice with no bad side effects so far. i had been worried about the roots that didn't get out of the cups when the plants were transplanted into the larger net cups. i bet that the sprayers were still doing a good job but now i am sure they are getting everything they need. the girls are all bunched up, space wise, but still going strong. i am researching a new design where each plant will get their own bucket so i can relocate/move each plant depending on needs. I'm just not sure which way to go yet. ebb-flow, NFT or bubblers......decisions , decisions...

Wow Ug, those are looking impressive!!!

Not to take away from your grow skills or set up efficiency (because both are obviously rocking), but I am amazed at how well seed breeders have been able to create auto strains that are starting to rival the size of standard, photoperiod strains.

true...i think that the genetics are playing a major role here as well... it does make me worry about my next grow... these were supposed to be "dwarf" plants that do not get over 18 inches tall... mine are over 24 inches tall right now!!! if i get photoperiod seeds (and not autos) i might be able to get a better grasp on the height by having a shorter veg time. i think this grown would have been better with fewer plants (4 spaced out more instead of 5 crammed) and a SCROG set up.

Nice grow!

thanks!

some times having ADD/ADHD is a bitch..... i couldn't sleep last night so i added the water, shut off the pump and i did some calculations last night... i counted the bulbs i was using to try to get an accurate idea of what i am using... it brakes down like this...

(1) 400w HPS with a Nexgen digital ballast and Plantmax bulb
(12) 23w 2700K CFLs
(7) 23w 6500K CFLs
(9) 13w 2700k CFLs
(2) 13w 6500K CFLs

for a total of 980w of light....... do you think i am over doing it?

thanks!

some times having ADD/ADHD is a bitch..... i couldn't sleep last night so i added the water, shut off the pump and i did some calculations last night... i counted the bulbs i was using to try to get an accurate idea of what i am using... it brakes down like this...

(1) 400w HPS with a Nexgen digital ballast and Plantmax bulb
(12) 23w 2700K CFLs
(7) 23w 6500K CFLs
(9) 13w 2700k CFLs
(2) 13w 6500K CFLs

for a total of 980w of light....... do you think i am over doing it?

LMFAO! Yeah you have a bit more light then you need.....it seems to be working great though as your plants are very healthy and growing well. I know what its like to run out of space growing, i would for sure do a scrog in that type of a space. your yeilds would be great and that thing would be filled corner to corner with bud sites.

I would personaly get rid of a few Cfl's as your plants only use so much and heat is never a good thing when flowering. It can cause alot of problems from pests to VD...hahaha keep them healthy and keep up the great work!

P.s. be happy that you get the girls that you did im in full bloom on my haze and the buds look great but the plant is only 12" tall and wont be growing any taller just adding mass to the buds now.

Happy growin M8!:rollit::reading420magazine:

i have the heat issue taken care of.... i think.... temps are starting to come down so i will keep the light set up going like it is.....right now i am designing a new flowering cabinet... this time with more vertical space.... i will use this current cabinet for vegetative growth then swapping them into the new flowering cabinet. the new cabinet will be at least 6 feet tall. i hope to pick up an air cooled 600w or 1000w to flower under.

also i am trying to figure out what strain to grow next..... no auto flowers this time. i would like to experiment with cloning. i will be growing the Easyryders again for sure...they are a great strain for beginners and i am looking at harvesting a good yield. if i couldn't kill these plants, ANYONE can grow them!!!

pictures and an update coming soon....

:smokin: Those ladies are looking mighty nice. Auto's are definitely strange plants. Looking to start 3 grassomatic Maxi under a 2' 4tube cfl for two weeks, then add the 400wHPS for 18 hours a day. I like the way the lighting is working out for you. :smokin:

White Russian is a very nice strain, However (sorry to add a however), it's popularity right now kinda makes it a little boring. There are also heavier producing strains that are VERY potent and might prove to be more beneficial to someone looking for a good strain to get into cloning.
Satori from Mandala seeds is an extremely heavy producing, easy to grow, pest/disease resistant, easy to clone, and award winning strain that is truly awesome and has very stable phenos. If you were to get 10 seeds, maybe two or three good mamas, keep them under your cfls and root 4 cuttings every two weeks. Then cycle the rooted cuttings into a flower chamber until full, you would end up with great yeilds of massive true high-grade yummieness.
Another massive producing, without giving up extreme potency strain is The Ultimate from Dutch Passion. Check into this strain for real as well. It is very stable and the grows I've seen in cabs with it have produced MAXIMUM yield of very kind smoke.
Give it a look before you place your order, check people's grow logs and videos.
You are doing great with the ryders, and if you get a chance check out Grassomatic's Maxi-gom. It's a mix of ruderalis with Ak47 and Critical Mass, Supposedly the highest yielding auto strain. I'm gonna give 'em a run so stay in touch:grinjoint:

White Russian is a very nice strain, However (sorry to add a however), it's popularity right now kinda makes it a little boring. There are also heavier producing strains that are VERY potent and might prove to be more beneficial to someone looking for a good strain to get into cloning.
Satori from Mandala seeds is an extremely heavy producing, easy to grow, pest/disease resistant, easy to clone, and award winning strain that is truly awesome and has very stable phenos. If you were to get 10 seeds, maybe two or three good mamas, keep them under your cfls and root 4 cuttings every two weeks. Then cycle the rooted cuttings into a flower chamber until full, you would end up with great yeilds of massive true high-grade yummieness.
Another massive producing, without giving up extreme potency strain is The Ultimate from Dutch Passion. Check into this strain for real as well. It is very stable and the grows I've seen in cabs with it have produced MAXIMUM yield of very kind smoke.
Give it a look before you place your order, check people's grow logs and videos.
You are doing great with the ryders, and if you get a chance check out Grassomatic's Maxi-gom. It's a mix of ruderalis with Ak47 and Critical Mass, Supposedly the highest yielding auto strain. I'm gonna give 'em a run so stay in touch:grinjoint:

sweet!!! i did check out Satori but attitude is out of stock on them right now... and as an added bonus... they are cheep. but not available in feminized but that is cool.. i might want to produce my own seeds for future grows...i will add them to my "too grow" list for sure.

:thumb::thumb::thumb::thanks::thanks:

Attitude is definitely the way to go. As far as being "out" of satori, they run out of strains often and are normally quick to replenish their sacred stock. I just checked on The Ultimate again and they have feminized for $80 (5 seeds). Be sure to give that a look, Dutch Passion is very serious about the quality of the product they put their name on. And I've personally seen and tasted the Ultimate, and it's amazing.
Take a look at the Maxi-gom from grassomatic as well if you can. I'd like your opinion on Attitude's assessment of it, and if you really think I can net 80-100 grams per plant with it's genetic makeup. :rollit:

update day 36

vertical growth has seemed to stop... i am glad because they are very close to the light now and it tops out at 26 inches from the top of the hydro unit. they are starting to fill out very nice as well. i am getting a little leaf burn from them growing right onto the CFLs... i cant move them and the damage is very minimal so ill let it go....
flowering is just beautiful to watch develop.... water level has not dropped as much as when i had the sprayers going. temps have stabilized to top out at 77 deg with the lights on. now it is just a waiting game to see when to start to flush.

now.... the pictures.....

PROJECT_PICS_0018.JPG

PROJECT_PICS_0028.JPG

PROJECT_PICS_0038.JPG

PROJECT_PICS_0049.JPG

PROJECT_PICS_0059.JPG

PROJECT_PICS_0067.JPG

PROJECT_PICS_0077.JPG

PROJECT_PICS_0085.JPG

PROJECT_PICS_0092.JPG

Back
Top Bottom