Uh Oh Root Bound Flowering Help!

Koolbudz

Click bate.... J/K

My one plant which was a clone is drinking a lot of water or should I say both drinking and a lot of runnoff. I am assuming it is due to root mass, and they are in flower just showing fuzzy heads....

Do I risk a transplant or try to run a full flower...This is a 60 day flowering strain but my last grow took 69 and 70+ seems to be the norm on this strain.

Posts some pics mate, it’ll help us help you

Here is the jungle...back middle in the yellow (light).....Thats the guy drinking and drying fast....at 1.5 days he is wilty needing water... soon i m afraid its gonna be daily....
0218201451.jpg

Here is the jungle...back middle in the yellow (light).....Thats the guy drinking and drying fast....at 1.5 days he is wilty needing water... soon i m afraid its gonna be daily....
0218201451.jpg
What sized pot?

Devils advocate I guess... :laughtwo: I transplant at any stage of flowering when required and haven’t seen any ill effects at all. Always for the same reason as OP- that I don’t want to be watering more frequently than every four or five days. Roots still grow to fill the pot even if repotted in mid flower, despite rumours to the contrary...

Maybe not super relevant but I just transplanted an auto in mid flower due to a ph issue and the plant wasn't even phased. Seems to have solved my problem. I was beyond delicate in the process though. Best of luck. Looks like you got a killer jungle of stank.

Edit: it seems like it would be a bit more challenging in 5 gallon buckets though. Mine was fabric and I just cut the old one open. I would probably be too scared to do it in this scenario.

I just let them dry up (sounds like that part will be easy:) ) and pull them out of the container. The whole mass is very durable and easy to handle when rootbound and dry.

i wouldn't bother 5 gallons is plenty of pot size , just keep watering /feed . the possibility of root damage is greater than the help of moving to a 7 or 10 gallon pot - the small increase in size isn't gonna help as much as it may seem especially in flower , the root growth will slow down now , i have had 3 ft plants in coco and 10 gallon pots that were root bound , my yield was still great . the media in your pot is more of a structure to hold the plant up , what you put in to that pot , water , nutes will determine more how green your plant is and how big the buds get , people grow in 500 gallon pots and have 8 ft plants outdoors , i assume you are growing in a tent so you don't need that kind of height , 4 ft finished height is plenty and is easily done in 5 gallon pots , i think going to a lot larger pot is great if you plan on having extended veg period and want monster plants but you are already in flower just my 2 cents , up potting is a good thing but not in flower you also run the risk of causing the plant to hermie .

I switched up my lighting so still seeing how the plants react.... I have grown this strain a few times all under led and now flowering under led and hid so...workin out the kinks...She is reacting quite different...

I agree if you’re in coco ( Are you in coco ?) you shouldn’t have to worry about going bigger than 5 gallons, and in that medium would want to be watering daily anyway.
If you don’t mind constant watering, or setting up an auto- watering system, it’s not necessarily a problem. You can often get away with a very small pot, at least when you’re growing in soilless mediums. Myself I like to be able to regularly leave home for several days at a time.
Roots grow fine in flowering. I’ll get a pic of some after mid- flower transplant when I get time

Maybe I am explaining incorrectly....

With 'this plant' in a 5g bucket

(we all know 5g buckets do not fit 5g at a normal soil level, only if u run soil to the rim, then you have to account for roots if you did a transplant which I did)

I went from a 1g pot (.6g most likely) into the 5g bucket but was short soil and had to do a transplant on a snowy sunday so running to the store was not an option. The bucket was filled to under the 4g mark (i mark my buckets) and .6g of that was root mass from the transplanted plant. So really she is not in 5 gallons she is more like in 3.5 gallons and has been climbing in water intake (like usual) but at a much faster rate than usual and I am worried it's due to being in too little medium to be able to trap the nutes for the plant to eat up. My garden is just setting flowers now....

Knowing these added details should I just run it and spend 2x the amount in nutrients for 2 months (2x minimum) or transplant into a 15g of a 40/40/20 mix of Ocean Forest, Happy Frog and Perlite, I must also take into account I am all ready running a heavy dose of nutrients to them.

Putting aside your motives- in my experience there’s is zero reason why you cannot transplant now, if that’s what you want to do.
I’ve never noticed any ill effects at all from transplanting in flower in my grow. I’ve been doing it for many years. I have read quite a few people warn against it though. This is just my experience/opinion. Other people’s experience can be different from mine of course.

Back
Top Bottom