UK Cheese Auto 2020 #1

BTzGrow

I just finished setting up my grow room after a move so I've dropped my first seed for 2020.

I'm starting with a UK Cheese Auto from Humboldt Seeds that I purchased from Seedsman last year. I have grown this strain before and really enjoyed how easy it was. Yield was about 2oz at about 11weeks total under a HLG quantum board.

I will be growing Hempy Bucket style as I have done since my 2nd grow three years ago. I use 100% Perlite in a 2gal Lowe's bucket.

Lighting will start with a two bulb T5 with blue grow spectrum for the initial seeding stage. I will move them into LED lighting at about 3weeks using my Perfect Sun Mini.

I start with a lite 50% Clonex Solution during the initial seedling period and then at about 2wks move into a really basic nutrient mix with DynaGrow Protekt and Grow along with some CaliMagic from General Hydroponics. Sometimes I use a little extra Epsom Salt if I feel the need.

More to come when I see a tap root on this initial seed.

Yay! We have Seed crack and a little tiny tap root exposing. Successfully moved to a Root Riot this morning and covered with a dome to help keep the humidity in. I put it on the Kitchen Window Sill so I can keep an eye on it.

Dropped seed on Sunday May 17th to soak. Five days to crack and show a the tiniest of a tap root. Four more days since the crack when I put into a Root Riot and I have a little helmet head above the surface.

With very gentle encouragement the husk just slid off exposing a new baby.
The miracle of it all is so awesome. To imagine in about 12 weeks I will be dropping beautiful buds into a curing jar. Harvested from a little bush that starts here.

At this point my normal process is to wait until a tap root comes out of the root riot before putting into the perlite Hempy Bucket. I'm going to let this little one just enjoy some quiet time sitting in a window sill under a glass to keep the humidity in and receive a little light for encouragement. I figure another 4-6 days typically.

I'm going to do my best to not drowned everyone with baby pictures but they are just so cute and the progress is so quick over the next few weeks.

Here two days later and an inch tall.

I stopped in to my local Hydro store in my new community. First impression is meh! However he carries the products I used but it's quite a cluttered mess and chaos.

The younger guy and then the older own shared something I hadn't heard about. Supposedly during seedling and sprout stage using a red spectrum light will encourage root growth. Then switch to blue for veg stage. I have had success in the past using my Double T5 fixture with blue bulbs during the early seedling stage. So I'm wondering if anyone has heard of this before?

I know red light (HPS) will cause a seedling to stretch. Not sure, but red light resulting in root growth sounds a little like bro science. The sunlight in the spring tends to be slightly more blue.

What I don’t know is why you didn’t drop a link in my journal. I had to look for ya! :laughtwo:

Day One! I was able to gently encourage the little membrane of the cotyledons and find that the first real leaves are popping in the middle. My last UK Cheese Auto harvested at about 11 weeks. I'm forecasting the middle of August for harvest with this one.

Opps

@BTzGrow I wouldn’t mind following along if that’s all right with you, this hempy bucket method you speak of sounds interesting. I haven’t done much growing besides outdoor gorilla growing and am now just learning indoor RDWC. To further complicate things I decided to throw in some autos to grow outside in fabric pots at the same time. It should be interesting for me to watch this grow of yours.

@BTzGrow I wouldn’t mind following along if that’s all right with you, this hempy bucket method you speak of sounds interesting. I haven’t done much growing besides outdoor gorilla growing and am now just learning indoor RDWC. To further complicate things I decided to throw in some autos to grow outside in fabric pots at the same time. It should be interesting for me to watch this grow of yours.
Welcome Phantom and you may indeed find the Hempy Bucket process interesting. It's not for everyone but many have found it to fit their K.I.S.S. philosophy. I have about 9 previous grows using it and you can check them out here. Previous Completed Grows & Projects Especially my previous UK Cheese Auto grow.

It's based off the Dutch Bucket Tech without the extra hardware and effort. It's like hydroponics only very passive without the watering system attached. I'm personally hooked on it since my second grow.

My brother @FelipeBlu turned me onto it and he is working on his second year outside with Hempy. Check out his action here. FelipeBlu’s Outdoor Hempy Photos & Autos 2020 (current) One of his BeBo's is in a 30gal tote and the other in a 5 gallon bucket for a comparison type grow. Both are Hempy with 100% Perlite. He also has real tomatoes growing in Hempy as he did last year.

There is a group here on 420 in the Growers Lounge called Hempy Headquarters. Lots of resources there also. We hempy folks are like others dedicated to their processes without the pressure to follow.

I know red light (HPS) will cause a seedling to stretch. Not sure, but red light resulting in root growth sounds a little like bro science. The sunlight in the spring tends to be slightly more blue.

What I don’t know is why you didn’t drop a link in my journal. I had to look for ya! :laughtwo:

I was wondering why it took until Day 4 for you to post on your brother's new grow journal. About time you showed up. :laughtwo:

More to come when I see a tap root on this initial seed.

Hi BTz.

I'm going to follow along, if you don't mind. I liked Felipe's because it doesn't move fast and I can follow along relatively easily. I figure I'd try yours for awhile, too. Okay?

Okay, now the reason I really wanted to post was in reply to the above post: :battingeyelashes:

What is your method for getting the seed to produce the tap root? I was told by Sue and the boys to just put mine straight into perlite in a Solo cup. Is that what you did? If not, why not?

Please follow along if you like and hopefully enjoy a light heart'd approach to growing. We are enjoying a process of sharing our methods and stories. You might find me very chatting and verbose. As with the following explanation. :p

Regarding Tap Roots. As soon as the seed cracks the tap root comes out. Once that happens I put it into a Root Riot. "Made from fine milled sphagnum peat moss, Hydrodynamics International Root Riot Cubes have the perfect air-to-water retention ratio for robust plant growth." Copied from the package.

While @FelipeBlu, Sweetsue and others put their seeds once cracked directly into the Perlite I like to use a Root Riot for one real reason. I like the seed to have a what I consider a more consistent source of moisture during the stage that only requires that. Putting the seed in the root riot allows me to drop some RO water onto the RR and not worry about it getting too dry. Basically about once a day.

I feel if I put the seed in the perlite it requires more attention to keeping the area around the seed (perlite) moist.

There is another reason a little more weird perhaps. I like to watch the roots grow out of the RR for a few days before I put them into the perlite. Once I do put the RR with all these really cool roots coming out into the perlite it takes very little time for the roots to hit the reservoir.

I guess I picked up this preference from doing clones. With clones you have to wait until you see roots coming out of the RR also. I haven't hear much about putting a clone cutting directly into perlite. I just feel a proven method for growing clone cuttings works perfectly for seeds.

Hope that answers you questions on that subject. I feel we all do slightly different things to suit and match our experiences. That the beauty of 420 forum.

Roots showing.
Still no Tap Root but smaller ancillary root fingers that are also very important.

@HashGirl this is the direction I'm looking for with my process. I will wait a bit longer for the seedling to push out more roots. It's doing this without any real light other than being in a window with a glass dome and a moist Root Riot.

If I had to forecast I would say that I will put into the perlite within 3-4 days. At that point it will be in the tent with light 24/7 until it's harvested.

I've decided it time to expose the little one to some true growing light.
I have my Double Bulb T-5 with 3000K Blue bulbs setup in the smaller GGT so will get started some 24/7 and see if that gets things motivated to grow.

Some progress since I put the little one under the light.
Not sure it's really connected. Lots of moisture is certainly helping so I'm using a glass as a dome. Not much more root action quite yet. There were 2 little roots poking out. Now two more really tiny ones have appeared. Looks a normal but seems a little slow at this point. It should start getting moving in the next few days.

Beginning to see some action finally.
Also lots or root action coming out of the Root Riot. I'm planning to up pot tomorrow afternoon. I haven't decided if I'm going to go with a small stadium cup or just throw it in it's final 2gal Lowe's paint bucket. I'm leaning towards the 2gal to keep life simple.

Right now I have it under a 2bulb T-5 fixture with blue 3000K bulbs. I will continue that for a couple more weeks. I'm considering hanging my LED higher above and let some of that light spectrum begin to be exposed to the little one in about a week if it looks like it's ready.

Back
Top Bottom