UK: Lib Dem MP Admits She 'Did Inhale' As Bill To Legalize Cannabis Is Introduced

Ron Strider

A Liberal Democrat MP has joked about taking drugs as she joined demonstrators calling for the legalization of cannabis at a "tea party" outside of Parliament.

Asked if she had smoked cannabis, Layla Moran MP said: "Yes, I went to university!" Adding: "I did inhale, yes I did."

Labor's Paul Flynn also joined the demonstration, but said he had not sampled one of the available cannabis cakes. He said: "I will have one if anyone is arrested."

On Tuesday My Flynn introduced a Private Members' Bill calling for the legalization of cannabis for medicinal purposes.

Speaking at the tea party ahead of introducing the bill, Mr Flynn said that the current legislation banning cannabis is "prejudice rich and evidence-free".

Highlighting a range of countries where the drug is legalized, Mr Flynn said the associated "risks are very small and the advantages are enormous".

An estimated one million people in the UK use cannabis for medical reasons but possession can result in up to five years in prison, or 14 years for those who supply and produce it.

Clark French, the founder of United Patients Alliance (UPA), which organized the event, said it was "really good" to see the turnout of support for the event but questioned why sick people were even having to make a stand.

Speaking to The Telegraph he said: "When you're ill, the last thing you want is to have to fight in front of Parliament but prohibition ruins lives."

Mr French, who suffers from multiple sclerosis, founded UPA three years and campaigns for the legal use of medical cannabis in the UK - including the right for people to grow cannabis at home.

A survey by Populus last year revealed that more than half of MPs surveyed, including 55 per cent of Conservatives, supported legalization of medicinal cannabis.

However, in response to a debate in Parliament on legalization of the drug in 2015, the government said: "Substantial scientific evidence shows cannabis is a harmful drug that can damage human health. There are no plans to legalize cannabis as it would not address the harm to individuals and communities."

The second reading of the Mr Flynn's Bill will be on February 23 2018.

Smoking_A_Joint_-_Adrian_Wyld.jpg

News Moderator: Ron Strider 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Lib Dem MP admits she 'did inhale' as bill to legalise cannabis is introduced to Parliament
Author: Verity Ryan
Photo Credit: Adrian Wyld
Website: The Telegraph - Telegraph Online, Daily Telegraph, Sunday Telegraph - Telegraph

Back
Top Bottom