UK relaxes laws against Cannabis

Key West

Laws against cannabis in the UK have been relaxed in the biggest shake-up of Britain's drug laws in 30 years.

The drug has been downgraded from a class B drug to class C -- putting it in the same category as tranquillisers and anabolic steroids.

The government stresses the drug remains illegal.

However, in most cases, possession of the drug will not lead to arrest. An on-the-spot warning will be given, and the drug will be confiscated.

The Association of Chief Police Officers has drawn up guidelines saying arrests should only be made in aggravated circumstances, such as smoking the drug outside schools.

The maximum prison sentence for possession has been lowered to two years from five.

Britain's Home Secretary David Blunkett said he expected the move would lead him to "take a bit of stick over the next few weeks."

The British Medical Association (BMA) says it is "extremely concerned" the move will mislead users into thinking it was safe.

"Chronic cannabis smoking increases the risk of heart disease, lung cancer, bronchitis and emphysema," BMA deputy chairman Dr Peter Maguire told the UK Press Association.

"The public must be made aware of the harmful effects that we know result from smoking this drug."

Ministers say the move is designed to free up police to be able to target hard drugs like cocaine and heroin.

The Government has launched a press and radio advertising campaign to educate people about the change in the law.

Any of you guys hear about the cannabis cafe that's just opened today in Edinburgh? They don't actually sell the stuff, but they allow you to smoke on the premises. Wonder how long it will last before the police shut it down!

:)
Hazed

problem with this is that when the Tories get into office they're gonna reverse this.

I personally like this quote:
"Chronic cannabis smoking increases the risk of heart disease, lung cancer, bronchitis and emphysema," BMA deputy chairman Dr Peter Maguire told the UK Press Association.

"The public must be made aware of the harmful effects that we know result from smoking this drug."

Isn't that all the same things that you may encounter smoking cigarettes? Yet they are legal.

I get the impression that most of the general public don't know that the drug doesn't have to be smoked - it can also be vapourised or eaten. This point destroys a lot of the arguments which are against legalisation (i.e. smoking cannabis causes the same problems as smoking tobacco, and so is as dangerous). But then I guess there is still the problem of people being unsure as to whether it contributes to mental ill health or not. There just hasn't been enough research into the effects to prove one way or the other.

So two years MAXIMUM, that means like 500 lbs and you serve maximum two years...good lawyer thats a few months.

I think its great that the UK decriminalized instead of a state like germany or russia.. the us is strong allys with the UK...they suported us in the way, so im real happy they did it. Itll put a good deal of pressure on the us.

Back
Top Bottom