Ulcerative Colitis and Asthma by Anonymous

Julie Gardener

Ulcerative Colitis and Asthma by Anonymous​

I am nearly 50 years old. I am a Registered Nurse. I have been married forever and have three sons and a grandchild. I have been working in the same hospital for over 20 years.

I had both asthma and ulcerative colitis. I was on four different asthma medications. I also took steroid suppositories plus oral medication for the colitis. I was very underweight because I had no appetite. Eating caused me to have quite a bit of abdominal discomfort. So I didn't eat much. I felt like an old, old woman and I was only 40. I was a non-smoker and a non-drinker. My doctors kept trying to get me to take antidepressants, as I was pretty depressed. I tried a few but always felt worse.

I had tried marijuana in my teen years but never was a regular user. After all these years, while out for a walk, I picked up a tin mint box that was lying in the street. It didn't contain mints! There was a joint inside. On a whim, I went home and smoked two puffs and then put it out. Not being a cigarette smoker, I coughed a lot! But then I felt a tremendous relaxing experience and a happy mood (something I hadn't felt in a long time) I even got hungry and actually enjoyed some food....and no abdominal cramping afterward. I waited a few days before I tried a few more puffs. I felt so good, I was dreading that it would be gone soon.

I was extremely worried about smoking the pot because I am a professional nurse and could have been fired from my job.

I am pretty close to my doctor, so I told him the story, and he prescribed Marinol for me. It's the smallest dose there is. He prescribed it to help my appetite, one pill before lunch and one before dinner. I couldn't take it as prescribed because it is too strong. I do take one pill a few times a week. If I want to go out to dinner and not have problems, I take a pill. It improves my mood tremendously as well. I took up an old hobby(playing an instrument) that I hadn't enjoyed for years, and it took on a whole new meaning for me. I felt creative again! I also started having a small glass of red wine with my dinner.

Now, ten years later, strangely enough, my ulcerative colitis went into remission, and it hasn't returned for nearly ten years. Plus I don't take asthma medication. Maybe my medical condition was due to stress...I don't know.

I think it would work better for me to just smoke two puffs of marijuana a day rather than take those pills ( as they are a bit too strong), but it's illegal and I'm afraid I'd get arrested and end up in jail trying to buy some. Now how embarrassing would that be for me and my family. I can just picture my grandchild saying, "Grandma's in jail for trying to buy pot"

It is difficult for me to promote smoking pot and drinking red wine because so many people have addiction problems and can't control themselves. On the other hand, I am in control of what I do and only take enough to improve my life...not make it worse. For 10 years I haven't increased what I take. I try to use good judgement. It is my personal business, anyway! Right?

Source: Comments and Observations

Back
Top Bottom