Umol's

Astar

Hey everyone! I searched on 420 and couldn't find anything. I was hoping someone could shed some light on UMO'/s as I was reading on Area51 that this is very important for instance this is what they have to say..

We have learned that in our testing of many different spectrums and ratios, when comparing all of our yields against the spectrum and Umol'/s over 4 years of growing, one thing that correlates from grow to grow: Yield directly relates to how many Umol'/s there were per cubic foot, not watts consumed, not some fancy spectrum, it just comes down to (the right amount of) Umol'/s and a well balanced spectrum with not too much emphasis on blue or green.

This is just another thing they had to say..

I'm sure many of you have seen many 1-2 red and 1-2 blue 90w UFO's compared to 400w HPS grow lights.
How did they come up with these numbers?
It's simple, per the popular belief, and misconception, "plants only absorb blue and red, everything else is wasted". If you look at the PAR of a typical 90w UFO with 440nm, 460nm, 630nm, and 660nm, you're looking at roughly 300 Umol'/s at 12", or less.
If you took a 400w HPS and removed everything besides the same spectrums as the UFO, you'd have roughly 100 Umol'/s.
But if it were true that plants only used red and blue, why doesn't a 90w UFO even compete with a 150w HPS? It's because there's more to spectrum than just red and blue, plants absorb everything in the visible spectrum and somewhat beyond, though the absorption rates are different from color to color. We believe (most) plants will prefer a spectrum and intensity similar to this:
400-440nm 15 Umol'/s
440-480nm 65 Umol'/s
480-520nm 65 Umol'/s
520-560nm 160 Umol'/s
560-600nm 160 Umol'/s
600-640nm 240 Umol'/s
640-680nm 65 Umol'/s
680-720nm 15 Umol'/s
720-760nm 15 Umol'/s
The spectrum and intensity levels should stay the same except for lesser red and yellow in veg. Basically, you'll have 800 Umol'/s during flowering, and 500 Umol'/s in veg.
Plants have been growing under a full spectrum Sun for millions of years. And they've been growing indoors for decades under full spectrum fluoros and HPS/MH lamps. Full spectrum is what they're used to.
And since we started building our LED Grow Lights with the primary color as white, plants have been growing faster, happier, and bigger.
Even though plants prefer a full white spectrum with the red 600-640nm favored, they can and will thrive under other colors as well, or lack thereof. They'll just do better with the white.

If anyone can give me a quick run down on this then that would be great. Thanks.
Astar

Back
Top Bottom