Un-Lucky Queen 12/12 Hempy

Wow, sounds like the DocBud wagon just hit overdrive ;).

Great finish to a great grow and journal!

Really good summary and detail of what you've learned, and what you're going to be applying to your future grows.

12/12 from seed and your grow schedule sounds like a winner ;).

How much of a difference do you think adding those supplements makes versus using the OC+ alone?

It would lose some of it's appeal for me if I had to use multiple supplements to produce a top-shelf product, because then it wouldn't really be that much more work to use other nutes that need multiple applications.

Wow, sounds like the DocBud wagon just hit overdrive ;).

Great finish to a great grow and journal!

Really good summary and detail of what you've learned, and what you're going to be applying to your future grows.

12/12 from seed and your grow schedule sounds like a winner ;).

How much of a difference do you think adding those supplements makes versus using the OC+ alone?

It would lose some of it's appeal for me if I had to use multiple supplements to produce a top-shelf product, because then it wouldn't really be that much more work to use other nutes that need multiple applications.

Hey bro!

Thanks for the kind words. Everything went very well.....I was slightly dissappointed with the yield.....just under 20 oz. Those crazy colas didn't weigh as much as I thought....the buds are not Indica dense, due to the Sativa genetics.

Oh....regarding those micronutes. One single application per grow. No ongoing supplements.

I am very intrigued by the kelp based products for their hormonal aspects.

I know the micronutes are mixed into the soil, but I'm wondering how much the bloom supplements add to the final product versus just using the OC+?

I realize that using OC+ as a base nute eliminates quite a bit of labor, but it falls a bit short of my "just add water" holy grail ;).

If there wasn't too much difference without them, I would consider just using the OC+, but not if it sacrificed yield/quality in a significant way. I realize that significance is completely subjective, but I trust your judgment on this.

I'm also very curious about the kelp products that inhibit stretch. Instead being limited to growing the very few shorter sativas or sativa dominant strains indoors, it would open up a whole lot of interesting possibilities.

A visit to Thailand or Acapulco might be in order ;).

I know the micronutes are mixed into the soil, but I'm wondering how much the bloom supplements add to the final product versus just using the OC+?

I realize that using OC+ as a base nute eliminates quite a bit of labor, but it falls a bit short of my "just add water" holy grail ;).

If there wasn't too much difference without them, I would consider just using the OC+, but not if it sacrificed yield/quality in a significant way. I realize that significance is completely subjective, but I trust your judgment on this.

I'm also very curious about the kelp products that inhibit stretch. Instead being limited to growing the very few shorter sativas or sativa dominant strains indoors, it would open up a whole lot of interesting possibilities.

A visit to Thailand or Acapulco might be in order ;).

I think you could easily do a "just add water" grow with OC+. No problem.

My hesitation for doing so is simple: I had a plant that showed iron/zinc deficiency on my last grow. It was a single plant, none of the others had the issue....but I'd never seen that before. Adding micronutes just seems like a good idea. Add 'em once and be done with it. Then I can worry about mites, thrips, white flys, fungus, powerdery mildew, but rot, bud worm, power outages, everything else.....without worrying about nutrition.

I know one pro who grows Jack Herer exclusively. He does hydro, and uses Bushmaster as he begins bloom and snowstorm during flower. His plants are 2 feet tall with fat colas. He grows SOG style.

Pretty harvest Doc :thumb:

I'm curious about your decision to go with seeds over clones off a mother. Other than getting new varieties, seems to me the surity of clones outweighs the sketchyness of coming up with a bunch of males.

:goodjob::goodjob::goodjob:

:peace:

My hesitation for doing so is simple: I had a plant that showed iron/zinc deficiency on my last grow. It was a single plant, none of the others had the issue....but I'd never seen that before.
any possibility the deficiency was just from PH?

Pretty harvest Doc :thumb:

I'm curious about your decision to go with seeds over clones off a mother. Other than getting new varieties, seems to me the surity of clones outweighs the sketchyness of coming up with a bunch of males.

:goodjob::goodjob::goodjob:

:peace:

:thanks:

Well, clones are cool, but I have a definite reason for going with seeds. I'll try to list it out.

Seeds are hardier than clones, better roots, thicker stems.

Seeds grow very well on 12/12 from the get go....clones massively underperform.

With seeds, every now and then you get a really cool plant, instead of a clone of a good mother.

Keeping a mother plant requires a seperate environment with an 18/6 photoperiod. I like my whole room to be on the same schedule.

I have a great source of clones and seeds....and I'll be making seeds as well. I can cross a supermale to a super female and improve the strain. With clones, I'm stuck with what I got.

Of course, I'll certainly grow and make some clones at some point....just not right now. I want a large grow 12/12 from seed. You harvest a couple weeks earlier, meaning more harvests per year.

any possibility the deficiency was just from PH?

Hey Snow!
It's not likely it was a pH issue....all the plants were watered from the same source, potted in the same soil. It may have just been the plant. Nevertheless, it was the first time I had an actual deficiency----usually I merely overfeed----and I took note of it.

The micros I'll be adding will ensure that the plants have everything they need. I've seen these micros in action in a very nice vegetable garden....exquisite is the best word to describe. The veggie guy, who I got the micronutes from is my new grow partner!

I've seen these micros in action in a very nice vegetable garden....exquisite is the best word to describe. The veggie guy, who I got the micronutes from is my new grow partner!
Hot damn this will be fun to watch! Even with less updates...:goodluck:

:thanks:

Well, clones are cool, but I have a definite reason for going with seeds. I'll try to list it out.

Seeds are hardier than clones, better roots, thicker stems.

I've had great luck w/ clones. Outdoor experience, none indoors. Mrs Horse is a cloning machine. I swear I've seen another me around here, and he does what she wants. Pheno?

Seeds grow very well on 12/12 from the get go....clones massively underperform.

Not busting your chops, but is that really substantiated? I've not had that experience... but hey, I changed from dirt to hempy with very little provocation, I am easily led... especially if it's easy, and pays off :cool:

With seeds, every now and then you get a really cool plant, instead of a clone of a good mother.

That is a big consideration

Keeping a mother plant requires a seperate environment with an 18/6 photoperiod. I like my whole room to be on the same schedule.

I have a smallish mother tent. Easy peasy, well except for the extra ventilation, lights, power and that stuff :) Nah, it is easy. And if you can set your timer right 6/6/6/6 is a nice stasisizing schedule :Rasta:

I have a great source of clones and seeds....and I'll be making seeds as well. I can cross a supermale to a super female and improve the strain. With clones, I'm stuck with what I got.

Don't get Aryan on me, yuk!

Of course, I'll certainly grow and make some clones at some point....just not right now. I want a large grow 12/12 from seed. You harvest a couple weeks earlier, meaning more harvests per year.

Are you saying you get more than one harvest a year? I'm calling bs right now! Ha, ha, ha

Thanks for making me think, but now I've got to have a bowl :)

I think you could easily do a "just add water" grow with OC+. No problem.

Well, I'm gonna give it a shot and see how it goes. It grows great veggies without any supplementation, so it *should* grow nice MJ plants also.

For personal grows, if it performed, say, 80% as well by itself, without any tweaking, then I would still use it because of the labor savings.

It may work better than high-end nutes for all we know, but unless we use it exclusively over several grows, we just won't know.

My hesitation for doing so is simple: I had a plant that showed iron/zinc deficiency on my last grow. It was a single plant, none of the others had the issue....but I'd never seen that before. Adding micronutes just seems like a good idea. Add 'em once and be done with it. Then I can worry about mites, thrips, white flys, fungus, powerdery mildew, but rot, bud worm, power outages, everything else.....without worrying about nutrition.

I'd probably chalk that one plant up as an aberrancy, rather than adjust things, but can't hurt to fortify the soil a bit either. The OC+ is going to make the adjustment also.

I know one pro who grows Jack Herer exclusively. He does hydro, and uses Bushmaster as he begins bloom and snowstorm during flower. His plants are 2 feet tall with fat colas. He grows SOG style.

Thanks for sharing that. I've been wondering how effective the Bushmaster is on strains like Jack Herer.

Wow, this is going to make seed bank surfing a lot more fun ;).

Doc,
I have been reading some of your older journals. You mentioned having a job listening to complaints from some unhappy people. I am in the same boat as you. I get calls and complaints every day, and even on my days off. It is SO stressful. That's one of the reasons I toke. The satisfaction of a good buzz and a nice tasty home grown bud makes it worth it.
Kudos to you for some great journals.

Doc,
I have been reading some of your older journals. You mentioned having a job listening to complaints from some unhappy people. I am in the same boat as you. I get calls and complaints every day, and even on my days off. It is SO stressful. That's one of the reasons I toke. The satisfaction of a good buzz and a nice tasty home grown bud makes it worth it.
Kudos to you for some great journals.

thanks! Same to you bro.

I love a relaxing evening....at right around 10 PM my wife and I have a couple hits of this or that....that's the extent of my cannabis use. But we LOVE it! More often than not we laugh ourselves to sleep....very healthy. And we sleep very well. We're basic medical users, or as I like to say, "wellness" users.....but cannabis as a "wellness" herb has not been established legally, so we're medical users.

Hopefully, that's about to change in CA. The best thing WE ALL can do is get our asses out there and do our part. VOTE(19).

I am the same way now Doc, I used to smoke so much when I was younger, abused the Shit out of MJ. Now, I pretty much vaporize mostly(health conscience, cardio, plyo's, etc.) I will smoke now and again with some buddies, but for the most part, Vaporizing is perfect for my lifestyle, I can vape a .3 and hit the bike trail, or go shoot some hoops, tough to do when you smoke blunts or just smoking in general. I appreciate them both, I will always have a spot in my heart for a nicely rolled grammy J in an element paper, or a nice bubbler RIP. <exhale>

Using OC+ on my clones in soil as of last night. Gonna compare with FF nutes which I have been using mostly successfully so far. I have 4 in flower at the 1-week mark (I put em in to flower at around 26"-28" and I am considering switching 2 of them to OC+ instead of the FF regime. They are pretty close physically so it will be a good experiment.

This has been an excellent read Doc!

I have been consuming info since I started and you can have every opinion imaginable regarding any product out there. Glad to see you showing folks that it really can be simple. I thought I was keeping it pretty simple using the FF nutes - but oh the financial strain. Might throw a couple of my seeds in the flower room to do 12/12. Prolly won't get your results under my 400 watter but we'll see. They can grow off to one side. Gonna try 1 hempy for fun - but then, it's all fun.

Lookin' forward to your next endeavor.

DocBud, re OC+ , did you just follow the directions or did you use a fraction of the amount suggested?

Great journal.

Thanks Doc for another great grow and tons of new info. I found OC potshots. they are preformed nuggets, just 2-3 per pot. Very easy to water in just one place. They do not say OC+ on the bag but has essential nutes like Mg,S,B,Fe,Mn,and Mo. You had mentioned about high alkalinity (adjusting ph down). well my tap water takes 3.5 cc/gal to get to 5.8-6.1. Is that ok or too high? how could i correct? thanks

Using OC+ on my clones in soil as of last night. Gonna compare with FF nutes which I have been using mostly successfully so far. I have 4 in flower at the 1-week mark (I put em in to flower at around 26"-28" and I am considering switching 2 of them to OC+ instead of the FF regime. They are pretty close physically so it will be a good experiment.

This has been an excellent read Doc!

I have been consuming info since I started and you can have every opinion imaginable regarding any product out there. Glad to see you showing folks that it really can be simple. I thought I was keeping it pretty simple using the FF nutes - but oh the financial strain. Might throw a couple of my seeds in the flower room to do 12/12. Prolly won't get your results under my 400 watter but we'll see. They can grow off to one side. Gonna try 1 hempy for fun - but then, it's all fun.

Lookin' forward to your next endeavor.

:thanks: OC+ worked much better for me than FF. No comparison.

DocBud, re OC+ , did you just follow the directions or did you use a fraction of the amount suggested?

Great journal.

I think I ended up using about the "high" end of the recommended dose. I've used OC in vegetable and flower gardens, so I kinda knew how to do it. Seriously, you could double the recommended amount and have no problems. If you used less, you'd probably still be OK unless the plants are heavy feeders, then you just add more!

Thanks Doc for another great grow and tons of new info. I found OC potshots. they are preformed nuggets, just 2-3 per pot. Very easy to water in just one place. They do not say OC+ on the bag but has essential nutes like Mg,S,B,Fe,Mn,and Mo. You had mentioned about high alkalinity (adjusting ph down). well my tap water takes 3.5 cc/gal to get to 5.8-6.1. Is that ok or too high? how could i correct? thanks

Ah.....how strong is your pH down?
You can test your total alkalinity with a pool test kit. I highly recommend it.

Here's an update on my new grow room:

We have the electric mapped out now. We'll have a 50 amp 240 circuit that we'll be running 3 1000 watt lights on....have room for 8 lights on the circuit, but the room "only" has room for 4. In addition to that we'll have a 20 amp 110 and a 15 amp 110. Should be enough for the fans, T5's, timers, controllers, etc.

We've bombed, and now we're ready to start some mild construction, ducting, sealing and panda plastic.

We'll be growing in 3 4x4 trays, with seedlings in 2x4 trays. The idea is to have 20 plants in each tray at varying degrees of maturity. I'll be making seeds.

Now, our water:

We've got well water. pH 6.4 PPM 640! Yikes. I have not tested total alkalinity yet.

However, my grow partner uses this well water and grows amazing vegetables. He's got a quarter acre vegetable garden and it is incredible. So, sumpin tells me we'll be OK with this water.

We'll be using OC+ for sure, but we'll also try the Mittleider method, some of which I've discussed on this thread. They are the folks I got that micronute mix from and this is what my partner uses in the vegetable garden.

I put up pictures in a new journal soon and then the games begin.

:thanks: OC+ worked much better for me than FF. No comparison.

I think I ended up using about the "high" end of the recommended dose. I've used OC in vegetable and flower gardens, so I kinda knew how to do it. Seriously, you could double the recommended amount and have no problems. If you used less, you'd probably still be OK unless the plants are heavy feeders, then you just add more!

Ah.....how strong is your pH down?
You can test your total alkalinity with a pool test kit. I highly recommend it.

Here's an update on my new grow room:

We have the electric mapped out now. We'll have a 50 amp 240 circuit that we'll be running 3 1000 watt lights on....have room for 8 lights on the circuit, but the room "only" has room for 4. In addition to that we'll have a 20 amp 110 and a 15 amp 110. Should be enough for the fans, T5's, timers, controllers, etc.

We've bombed, and now we're ready to start some mild construction, ducting, sealing and panda plastic.

We'll be growing in 3 4x4 trays, with seedlings in 2x4 trays. The idea is to have 20 plants in each tray at varying degrees of maturity. I'll be making seeds.

Now, our water:

We've got well water. pH 6.4 PPM 640! Yikes. I have not tested total alkalinity yet.

However, my grow partner uses this well water and grows amazing vegetables. He's got a quarter acre vegetable garden and it is incredible. So, sumpin tells me we'll be OK with this water.

We'll be using OC+ for sure, but we'll also try the Mittleider method, some of which I've discussed on this thread. They are the folks I got that micronute mix from and this is what my partner uses in the vegetable garden.

I put up pictures in a new journal soon and then the games begin.

sounds great! i cant wait to see you rock out some big boy watts! good luck with everything brother!

Back
Top Bottom