UncleCannabis' Ganja Grove - 1st Grow with Mars Sun Series - Indoor Organic Soil Grow

UncleCannabis

Welcome to my first journal :420: members. The purpose of this journal is to highlight and review the performance of the new Sun Series LED lights from Mars-Hydro only.
**DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME. READ ON AT YOUR OWN RISK. NOT FOR VIEWERS AGED UNDER 18 YEARS. FOR ENTERTAINMENT PURPOSES ONLY. PERSONS OR PLACES DEPICTED IN THIS GROW JOURNAL ARE FICTITIOUS AND NOT REALLY REAL PERSONS OR PLACES. ANY SIMILARITIES TO REAL PERSONS OR PLACES ARE COINCIDENTAL ONLY BUT YOU SHOULD ALREADY KNOW THAT.
**AND......The writer of the journal shall not be held responsible for any damage to your crops or mental stability that may occur as a result of the reader attempting to try any of the growing techniques that are used in the making of this grow journal. I'm a newbie and not a master grower. Again, the purpose of this journal is to review the performance of the new Sun Series LED lights by Mars-Hydro, not showcase my still developing growing skills. :)

*Ganja Grove Size - 40 acres plus 10 acre irrigation pond. Nah...but one can dream right? Actual size of UncleCannabis' Ganja Grove is a 4'x8'x6' grow tent. I'm using only the back row of the tent (Ganja Grove) for this grow so the actual grow area being used is about 2.5'x8'.
*Artificial Sun: 4 each Mars-Hydro Sun Series LED's. 300watt actual draw each. Check out there website for full details of the light and current pricing. Total watts = 1,200watts or 300 watts per plant.
*Cost of Artificial Sun in the Ganja Grove: $1,800 USD or $450 each light. I purchased the lights when first offered so I guess there was some R&D cost passed along. The current price at time of this posting is $360. :thumb:
*Grow Medium: Custom manufactured organic soil. Solarized then mixed with coco coir. Mix is approximately 75% soil/25% coco. Using wicker baskets lined with newspaper (about 7 gallons size).
*Nutrients: All organic. Most basic nutrient requirements that are needed to support the plant up to completion of flowering are contained within the organic soil mix. No bottled or manufactured fertilizers are used. Occasional topdressing with organic type nutrients (Worm castings, bat guano, bone meal, epsom salts, dolomite lime, etc) used at certain times during veg and flower and as needed to correct any deficiencies that may come up.
*Pest/Pest Control: No pest problems to date but I've been very diligent in trying to keep my grow space super clean and disinfected and I've been using neem oil weekly through veg as a preventative. No more neem now that the girls have begun flower and the buds will be stacking shortly.
*Grow Times: 70 days veg from seed at 18/6 using 200watts of CFL's. Changed photoperiod to 12/12 at day 71 using 1,200 actual watts of LED's (4 x Sun Series from Mars-Hydro) for flower. Journal started at the end of week 1 of flower or day 77.
*Ganja Grove Auxiliary Equipment: 2 x 12" oscillating fans, digital temp/RH meter, drip type watering system with pump and timer (only used when I need to be away for more than a day), inline fans and carbon filters are ordered but have not yet arrived, 15,000btu split type room air conditioner.
*Ganja Grove Environmental Conditions: Veg - 72 to 85 degrees F (nights cooler than days) with RH from 45 to 65%. Target for flowering - 70 to 82 degrees with nights cooler than days and RH at 45 to 60%.
*UncleCannabis' Ganja Girls: 1 x Amnesia (Sativa - World of Seeds), 1 x Jack Herer (Hybrid - Greenhouse Seed Co.), 1 x Girl Scout Cookies (Hybrid - BC Buds Depot), 1 x Soviet Ripper (Sativa dominant hybrid - Soul Breeders). All are free seeds that were included with an original order or much better genetics. I'm using the freebie seeds on this my first indoor grow and while getting the new Ganja Grove set up and dialed in. *I do know that the BC Buds GSC are not "the Real Cookies" and that the Jack Herer from Greenhouse Seed Co. are not "the Real Jack" so there is no need to tell me this. This journal is about the lights, not a strain review. Feel free to chime in if you've had an opportunity to grow out or smoke any of these strains but no seed company bashing please.

Any tips on how to better proceed with this journal are most welcome.
Please note that I may not have the time to reply to any/all questions but I'll do my best to log on and reply as I'm able. I'll also do my best to post updates at least weekly if not more often. Please be patient.....I'm old and I move slow....and I type even slower.

Here are a few pics of the girls chilling in UncleCannabis' Ganja Grove at day 8 of flower (day 78).

Happy growing to all. Peace, Love, & BBQ!! :)

thumb_IMG_0614_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_0612_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_0615_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_0618_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_0625_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_0627_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_0617_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_0621_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_0634_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_0633_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_0632_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_0641_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_0649_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_0647_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_0645_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_0644_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_0642_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_0635_1024.jpg

Re: UncleCannabis' Ganja Grove - 1st Grow with Mars Sun Series, Indoor Organic Soil G

My initial opinion of the Sun Series light is that it is extremely bright, runs cooler than expected, and quiet. Notice I said quiet, not silent. The fans do make some noise but the noise is not excessive.
The effective illumination area is about 2.5'x2.5' to 3'x3'. If you set the light higher than 24" the effective illumination area would increase but you'd likely sacrifice light intensity (and yield) by going over 24" above the canopy. I have my lights set at 18" at the moment but will lower to 12" once the buds begin stacking up. I did set the light at 12" for a couple of days without any signs of bleaching or light burn so I know that setting the lights at 12" above the canopy later will not be a problem.
The girls are looking very healthy and have been showing vigorous growth since introduced to the Sun Series lights. The node spacing is tight and everything seems to be going well so far. If things continue on a positive trend as they are now I'm confident that the Ganja Grove will be full of dank and sticky buds in a just few more weeks. :)

Re: UncleCannabis' Ganja Grove - 1st Grow with Mars Sun Series, Indoor Organic Soil G

Beautiful work man :)

Thanks for the compliment Scrubby. Much appreciated. Peace, Love, & BBQ! :)

Subscribed. What are the temperature and humidity levels in your tent?

Temps have been ranging from about 72 degrees on the low side and up to 82 on the high side. RH has been ranging from 40% to 65%. However, on one occassion I've seen the RH spike up to 80% for a very short period of time after a heavy watering. This only lasted about a half hour then the RH dropped back down to 65% or so.

Temps have been ranging from about 72 degrees on the low side and up to 82 on the high side. RH has been ranging from 40% to 65%. However, on one occassion I've seen the RH spike up to 80% for a very short period of time after a heavy watering. This only lasted about a half hour then the RH dropped back down to 65% or so.

Seems perfect to me bro! Ive been looking at those sun series lights. I use platinum and mars hydro as well...both give great results but im seriously impressed with the sun series so far :)

Girlie Pics Day 8 of Flower
Today I took the girls out for a bit of fresh air while I did a good cleaning of the Ganja Grove. While they were out on the loose I took a couple of girlie pics. :rollit:

thumb_IMG_0662_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_0661_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_0660_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_0659_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_0658_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_0657_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_0656_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_0655_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_0653_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_0654_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_0652_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_0651_1024.jpg

Seems perfect to me bro! Ive been looking at those sun series lights. I use platinum and mars hydro as well...both give great results but im seriously impressed with the sun series so far :)

This is my first indoor grow so I don't have any experience using HID's. After reading a couple of books on marijuana cultivation I was initially planning to go with a MH/HPS lamp setup. However, using LED's did intrigue me somewhat so I did a bit of research on LED's and after seeing some very impressive grow results from growers on this forum I decided that I'd go ahead and take the LED plunge.
As most of you likely already know, there are lots of LED lights on the market and many of the manufacturers make some pretty outrageous claims about their lights. Mars-Hydro seemed to be an honest bunch that put out a good quality no frills light at a very competitive price that would meet my requirements hence my decision to go with Mars-Hydro. My first choice was either the Mars II or Reflector Series as I'd seen the pics of grows that used these lights and read lots of good reviews by users. The Sun Series were just being released at the time that I was ready to purchase lights but the price was a bit more per watt than the other series lights. Somehow Sara (Mars-Hydro Sales Rep) was able to convince me to go with the Sun Series. In her words..."Believe me, the Sun Series is much better. You won't regret purchasing the Sun Series." She was right. So far I have no regrets. :)

Re: UncleCannabis' Ganja Grove - 1st Grow with Mars Sun Series - Indoor Organic Soil

Hi UncleCannabis,
i want to throw mine in that round as well :circle-of-love:
Really amazing looking plants, im also excited how this beautiful ladies will turn colour while flowering :cheer:

Re: UncleCannabis' Ganja Grove - 1st Grow with Mars Sun Series - Indoor Organic Soil

Hi UncleCannabis,
i want to throw mine in that round as well :circle-of-love:
Really amazing looking plants, im also excited how this beautiful ladies will turn colour while flowering :cheer:

Thanks for the compliment. About turning color during flowering, let's just hope that ole' UncleCannabis' doesn't do anything stupid going forward that may make em' turn yellow and dead before they're able to morph into good medicine.
This is only beginning of week 2 of flower. So there's still several weeks to go and it won't be over till' the girls are ready to be ground up, put in bowl, and the bong pipe gurgles blissful songs of happiness. :)

Hi uncle, ur plants or top wack
Very nice, very nice indeed..

Thanks for the compliment biggaz65. They'll all be wacked, tops and all in about another 7 to 12 weeks or so. :rollit::ganjamon:

I'm pulling up a chair to this one. be careful not to get your plants too close to your lights.

I'm impressed with the wicker baskets lined with newspaper. Where did you find the inspiration for that? What other gardening gems are you saving to share? I think I'll stick around and learn. I'm in the market for another light. Mars looks appealing for all the reasons you listed.

Your girls are a happy little family. Such depth of color! Thanks for enticing us over. :blushsmile:

Hey UncleCannabis. Subbed to what looks sure to be a great journal. I'm interested in the Sun Series myself after having a nightmare first grow under Cfl then hps then finally (too late) 2x 96x3 Reflectors. If you fancy a giggle (or a cry) you can have a read of my journal in my signature. It was too late for the LED's to save my plants completely but I'm getting some good new growth even though these are well overdue for harvest (took one down today that had plenty of new growth buds so I could have waited). All the best with the grow and I look forward to your updates. All the best :thumb:

I'm impressed with the wicker baskets lined with newspaper. Where did you find the inspiration for that? What other gardening gems are you saving to share? I think I'll stick around and learn. I'm in the market for another light. Mars looks appealing for all the reasons you listed.

Your girls are a happy little family. Such depth of color! Thanks for enticing us over. :blushsmile:

Thanks for the compliment SweetSue. The inspiration for using the wicker baskets originated from my interest in Airpots. Unfortunately, Airpots are not readily available where I live so I would have had to order by mail which is what I was planning to do. Then one day while burning a fatty and contemplating the important things in life I thought of trying out wicker baskets. Same concept as an Airpot for the most part right?
I can buy these wicker baskets for about $6 or $7 a piece and they're made of 100% natural organic material to boot so now I'm really growing organically. If it weren't for these wire and plastic twist ties that I use to secure branches I guess I'd be organic all the way. :)

Back
Top Bottom