Undercurrent hydro setup

ChronicKid007

Hey everyone! I’m back, getting ready for another season of growing. This go round I’m going to try undercurrent hydroponic.

The caption below is the setup I imagine.

The orange tube comes out of the first bucket and is pumped back into the reservoir. The bottom of the buckets will be connected with a 1 inch tube with 1 inch bulkhead fittings. Air stones will be in the bottom of each bucket to keep aeration good.

I am unsure of what grow medium I should use, and how much of it I need. I also am unsure of what size net pots I need. I will be growing in a 5 gallon bucket, with a 5 gallon bucket reservoir.

Any suggestions or tips would be appreciated, as this is my first attempt at hydroponic.

Suggestions on pumps and air stones too please.

Cheers!

Attachments

• 81CE6262-0F9C-411E-A8DD-AEA3574B56C1.png
    81CE6262-0F9C-411E-A8DD-AEA3574B56C1.png
    57.1 KB · Views: 170
you can just get a basket lid with a 6" or 8" net pot molded in it . As far as medium you can use hydroton (clay pebbles) or growstones would be my suggestion they are both reusable grow rocks are easier to clean between runs however you need to wash them really well and do a nutrient soak to ph them for the first use otherwise they will mess with your ph . as far as air pumps do not exceed 2 lpm (liters per minute) of air per gallon of solution , if you do you take the risk of having nutrients precipitate out of the solution Not a good thing . . Air stones I would suggest medium eco plus air stones and put 2 in each bucket .
Also start off by using HALF of the recommended nutrient dosage ...with everything that I recommended and described you really shouldn't have a need to go over 500 ppm on a 500 scale . Less is more

also paste these on your desktop or print them out and put them near the grow.
33E5D78B-F7FE-4CA1-AFF1-039601DFD516.jpeg
CA268144-7EAA-4F77-90A3-77EB2D2D1B80.jpeg.jpg
D7FBC97A-652A-46A3-89BA-21696A057A01.jpeg.jpg

you can just get a basket lid with a 6" or 8" net pot molded in it . As far as medium you can use hydroton (clay pebbles) or growstones would be my suggestion they are both reusable grow rocks are easier to clean between runs however you need to wash them really well and do a nutrient soak to ph them for the first use otherwise they will mess with your ph . as far as air pumps do not exceed 2 lpm (liters per minute) of air per gallon of solution , if you do you take the risk of having nutrients precipitate out of the solution Not a good thing . . Air stones I would suggest medium eco plus air stones and put 2 in each bucket .
Also start off by using HALF of the recommended nutrient dosage ...with everything that I recommended and described you really shouldn't have a need to go over 500 ppm on a 500 scale . Less is more

Not being aggro mate, you're a knowledgeable dude and fairly sure I've never disagreed with anything you've said, but I can't see this without pointing it out. Had waaay to many people that don't know anything about growing trying to school me because of that chart. It completely missed out the fact that pH should drop in bloom. That's the important part of the grow.
Because it fails to point this out, it's pretty worthless.
The bottom line of it says if the EC is dropping at the same time as the water level and pH then you have "acid rain effect" that's complete nonesense .
that's exactly what you want it to be doing in bloom. If it isn't then it's wrong.
pH should always be on the drop in bloom, otherwise all these brands wouldn't call their pH up "pH bloom" would they ?

Not being aggro mate, you're a knowledgeable dude and fairly sure I've never disagreed with anything you've said, but I can't see this without pointing it out. Had waaay to many people that don't know anything about growing trying to school me because of that chart. It completely missed out the fact that pH should drop in bloom. That's the important part of the grow.
The bottom line of it says if the EC is dropping at the same time as the water level and pH then you have "acid rain effect" that's complete nonesense .
that's exactly what you want it to be doing in bloom. If it isn't then it's wrong.
pH should always be on the drop in bloom, otherwise all these brands wouldn't call their pH up "pH bloom" would they ?
No worries as you are right late in bloom it will drop in flower especially late flower . Good catch ...I do throw those out as I feel they are good for understanding basics not the whole picture but a foundation if you will . Also thank you for the compliment and you are right we have never disagreed and who knows after you read my reasoning we may not have a first time . lol You are also a very knowledgeable person . :passitleft:

Oh and the bottom one says if the pH and ec are static then things are perfect which is very wrong because if that happens then the plant most likely stopped feeding for some reason.
Again, really not being aggro mate but that chart really winds me up lol
in my system now keep in mind that im running 6 plants 48 in 48 gallons of solution with a 40 gallon top of res set with the next weeks feed ppm ( that may be the trick) stay rock solid and take up 7 gallons of solution a day . It could also have something to do with my nutrients made specifically for dwc and high aeration ...That is a question I cannot answer but I know that I have seen it with my own eye ...see I really am human ..lol

Brother I do not feel you are arrogant at all . We are here to teach and learn and enjoy growing ...you could have said "hey fucker you forgot about the ph drift in flower ...you slacking or getting old "and I would have been totally cool and replied something like# fuck you im not either or at least not admitting to it but things for adding what I didn't . " see they may look like cuss words but the use is completely different they are just dramatic verbs in those statements or so I think right now . lol

in my system now keep in mind that im running 6 plants 48 in 48 gallons of solution with a 40 gallon top of res set with the next weeks feed ppm ( that may be the trick) stay rock solid and take up 7 gallons of solution a day . It could also have something to do with my nutrients made specifically for dwc and high aeration ...That is a question I cannot answer but I know that I have seen it with my own eye ...see I really am human ..lol

Brother I do not feel you are arrogant at all . We are here to teach and learn and enjoy growing ...you could have said "hey fucker you forgot about the ph drift in flower ...you slacking or getting old "and I would have been totally cool and replied something like# fuck you im not either or at least not admitting to it but things for adding what I didn't . " see they may look like cuss words but the use is completely different they are just dramatic verbs in those statements or so I think right now . lol
Haha we'd get on pretty well mate. Fuck the snowflakes lol. I really need to go back to bed now though. Woke up for a pee n ended up stoned.
Its 05:30 and I've got about 2 hours before the bairn wakes me up with a power ranger in the eye. Peace out for now broski :)

Haha we'd get on pretty well mate. Fuck the snowflakes lol. I really need to go back to bed now though. Woke up for a pee n ended up stoned.
Its 05:30 and I've got about 2 hours before the bairn wakes me up with a power ranger in the eye. Peace out for now broski :)
yes we do,Now get your old ass to bed and rest those brain cells and have an excellent day!

Why would you drop Ph in flower? That would make phosphorus almost biounavailable below 6.0. I'm not sure about this

Thos is my RDWC. 2 pot I call it 50 gallons. I have a 300 gal to filter hooked up to a float valve so I never have to worry about fill in water. Some may say I wont be able to see how much the plant will be taking in but I really dont care. You can tell if the plant is healthy or not by the plant. I use an oversized air pump with great success. I use Gen Hydro trio nutes.

This system works great. My best season was 27oz from 2 plants.

I've honestly never seen a Ph issue with hydroton. I will say it works very well, its cheap and will last you a lifetime. I just boil it for a bit and it's good to go. Rock wool needs to be Ph-ed. But, rockwool is the lapdog of Satanand needs to be avoided. Use Rapid Rooters and you'll never use anything else. If you are cloning you can take a clone with bare roots and place it in the Hydroton. You need to ensure that the roots are low in the cup and able to capitalize on the moistness at the bottom of the cup.

On the air pump. You can use a much larger air pump in my opinion. The nutrients will precipitate out of solution? Where does it go?

Back
Top Bottom