Unused Mixed Nute Solution Shelf Life?

angelass

Last week I mixed a batch of liquid feed that was too hot (strong). I then removed some of the mix and replaced it with ph'd water, thereby diluting the mix to get the EC where it needed to be. I realize ph will change and the nute mix will not remain the same, but can I use the mix I removed as a base for another feed?

Last week I mixed a batch of liquid feed that was too hot (strong). I then removed some of the mix and replaced it with ph'd water, thereby diluting the mix to get the EC where it needed to be. I realize ph will change and the nute mix will not remain the same, but can I use the mix I removed as a base for another feed?

I do not see why not. It is just mixed with water, as the other was. If it's not green with algae, it should be fine. Even if it is green with algae, if going into soil, it should still be fine. The algae will just be more plant food after it breaks down. I would not put it in a water system with algae though.

Just make sure the EC isn't too high, and the pH is right.

I would use it..... but this is only my opinion.

It has bin said not to use premixed unless it had bin stored with air constantly mixing the solution or agitation of some sort. I guess the nutrients brake down from sitting stagnant and creates lockouts of sorts. I've never tried it but I've read it a lot

Thanks all! Ice - I believe, depending on the holding environment, the mix does not remain stable and can become stronger or weaker and ph can vary too.
I think I'll let it sit a while and check the EC & pH periodically. Will come back and post results here in a couple of weeks if anyone's interested. After which it won't be wasted, I'll water my turf weeds with it!

I exclusively grow hydroponic all I do is mix chemicals. I'm interested in the outcome but truthfully we may never know are you growing hydro or soil are you using multiple nutrients like grow bloom bud or just a single base.

Soil grow. Multiple mixed products in watering solution. Will include starting pH/EC , products added, and then final pH/EC when I report the periodic findings. I'm hydro ignorant - does your hydro solution EC/pH stay fairly stable over time if it's not replenished (I guess EC should slowly diminish)?

Imagine it all over the place depending on the nutrients. Mine about as close to Organic as you can get in a bottle, and I started doing it that way and noticed all kinds of weird floaty slimy stuff having a party in there. That's when I looked at the bottle and it didn't recommend mixing ahead of time and using it up in a day or two. Probably a slim chance it would hurt them but one of those "is it worth the risk" kind of things, as at least for me the nutrients are a lot cheaper than the seeds/time/electric bill, that and I had a sharp learning curve at the beginning so really no idea if it was part of my problems or not (I learn the hard way usually ;) :rofl::rofl: ).

Results are in. I checked the solutions' pH & EC every day or so this past week. Observations... both pH & EC seemed to 1) vary most within the first 2 days of storing the solution, then 2) stabilize with the pH slightly more acidic and the EC maintaining similar approximate levels, and 3) I noted no steady correlation between pH & EC direction of movement (e.g. pH down = EC down)...
Nute Solution Levels pH / EC
Start ... 6.3 / 3.85
Day 1... 5.4 / 2.01 ...2.01 seems inconsistent but checked twice
Day 2... 5.6 / 4.10
Day 3... 5.5 / 4.04
Day 4... 5.7 / 3.66

I'll check a few more times during the coming week and report back if those observations are inconsistent with the ones above. Comments & insight welcome:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom