Up potting in coco

BAKIND

Should you up pot in coco like you do in soil? That is, start with starter pots, and up pot as the roots outgrow the medium? Does anyone start their plants in conatainers that they will finish them in?

thanks.

I up-pot once. The germinated seed is placed into a 4" (10cm) nursery pot. After topping, and before it gets root-bound I up-pot into its final container. My final containers are usually 3.8 US gal caged grow bags.

I start in 1ltr air pots and at two weeks I transplant to a 9.2ltr air pot. The nice thing about starting in air pots is that you don't have to worry about root circling.

I start in Solo's and transplant once to what ever size Smart Pot I plan on using.
Then I begin building roots, Great White, SubCulture II and a dab of Rapid Start. Every watering for a week or so then weekly, eliminate the Rapid Start after the first week, then the SubCulture II at the start of flower, but keep the Great White going weekly till the last couple of weeks prior to harvest.

Personally I start in root riots then into 4inch rockwools and then into final media. Sounds like a pain but much less chance of transplant shock doing it this way cos no pot to damage the roots when you take it off. The rr aren't necessary, just a little easier for the initial tap roots to get through than a rockwool so get better root growth for the first few days. Handy when you're growing autos.

I have two plants in coco, in small pots like 3-4 inch diameter. they look good, and have grown a lot, but I don't see roots out the bottom yet. Should I be concerned that the roots are not growing that much? When I see roots in the bottom, is that when I transplant? They were cut off the mother plant a month ago today.

I am only giving them feed, nothing special for root building.

I have two plants in coco, in small pots like 3-4 inch diameter. they look good, and have grown a lot, but I don't see roots out the bottom yet. Should I be concerned that the roots are not growing that much? When I see roots in the bottom, is that when I transplant? They were cut off the mother plant a month ago today.
I am only giving them feed, nothing special for root building.

I don't wait for the roots to come out of the bottom. By the time that happens, the plants are root bound.
Were your clones rooted before you put them in the pots? How long ago was that? I transplant seedlings a few days after topping them between the third and fourth node. It takes about three weeks from planting.

Your best method may be to slide one of your plants out of the pot to check its progress. If you see any roots at the edges, it's time to transplant. If they are root bound, cut vertically through the roots about 6 - 10mm into the medium with a sharp knife. This will stop the roots from circling, and promote growth into the larger container.

I don't wait for the roots to come out of the bottom. By the time that happens, the plants are root bound.
Were your clones rooted before you put them in the pots? How long ago was that? I transplant seedlings a few days after topping them between the third and fourth node. It takes about three weeks from planting.

Your best method may be to slide one of your plants out of the pot to check its progress. If you see any roots at the edges, it's time to transplant. If they are root bound, cut vertically through the roots about 6 - 10mm into the medium with a sharp knife. This will stop the roots from circling, and promote growth into the larger container.

They had rootd when put in 3-4 inch pots about or on February 23. Maybe tonight I will look and see where the roots are as you suggest.

UPDATE: I just checked. I see roots at the edges. I will transplant immediately. If any are root bound, I will follow your method. Thanks.

I feel this is the perfect solution and will be doing this going forward...

Make your first starter pots coco! Like these...

Or these...

Now you can just upsize and put the whole thing in a larger pot of coco and the roots will just continue!
Do not use the Jiffy peat pots for this, cannabis roots have a hard time breaking through that crap.
No problem getting through this stuff, roots will air prune too, but also will show at the bottom
letting you know when to upsize. Wanna go next level?

Coco Hempy Bucket

Get you some 3gal buckets, drainage mesh/screen and some Hydro Stones...

Mesh is not for starter pots, it's for separating coco from stones in bucket...

or equivalent size inert media, not fond of perlite in my coco.

Have a look at the Hempy threads here and prosper!

:Rasta:

Attachments

• 91FObvrDH4L._SL1500_.jpg
    91FObvrDH4L._SL1500_.jpg
    519.2 KB · Views: 19
I feel this is the perfect solution and will be doing this going forward...

Make your first starter pots coco! Like these...

Or these...

Now you can just upsize and put the whole thing in a larger pot of coco and the roots will just continue!
Do not use the Jiffy peat pots for this, cannabis roots have a hard time breaking through that crap.
No problem getting through this stuff, roots will air prune too, but also will show at the bottom
letting you know when to upsize. Wanna go next level?

Coco Hempy Bucket

Get you some 3gal buckets, drainage mesh/screen and some Hydro Stones...

Mesh is not for starter pots, it's for separating coco from stones in bucket...

or equivalent size inert media, not fond of perlite in my coco.

Have a look at the Hempy threads here and prosper!

:Rasta:

Just be sure you charge those Cups just as you should your coco. Cal/Mag, Epsom, and if you want lite nutes. pH the solution and flush.
Even if they are organic, they can still have high quantities of Sodium that can damage your young roots as they try and grow through the cups.

Back
Top Bottom