Upcoming Outdoor 4x4 tent grow, Vancouver Island

VanIslandConnoisseur

Going to setup and try growing 4 autos in tent outside during the upcoming cold months.

Equipment
X6 6500k 23w cfls
X6 2700k 23w cfls
Cfls are in a custom 3x3 fixture using 276 true watts creating 1200w equivalent watts apparently.
Im doing this to save money on hydro bill.

4x4 vivosun tent
4 inch 100cfm intake
4 inch 200cfm exaust with filter and speed control
6" vivo clip fan
Small heater

Going to run 4 autoflowers.

Plan is to bring intake in the top and exaust out bottom to create less heat loss, could get to -10 at times (some years). Think this method of air exchange will work a bit? I will have a heater in there

Dont think that gonna work you bring cold air inside even if you have a heater you gonna bring more cold than heat and that create condasation. Condasation and electricity’s its not a really a good idea why not put you tent inside. Thats just my idea maybe more people have different idea.

Dont think that gonna work you bring cold air inside even if you have a heater you gonna bring more cold than heat and that create condasation. Condasation and electricity’s its not a really a good idea why not put you tent inside. Thats just my idea maybe more people have different idea.
Thinkin will build a box for hot air to send from. But again humidity, looks like im runnin a small dehumidifier, hopefully one thats like 100w!

Thinkin will build a box for hot air to send from. But again humidity, looks like im runnin a small dehumidifier, hopefully one thats like 100w!

Ever bothered to check the humidity content of -10° air? Its negligible at best. The incoming air isn't your concern with condensation. It's the low air exchange rates needed to try and keep the temps up. Are you really keeping electric costs down by running a heater and a dehumidifier for outside? Really really doubtful.

@WOLFtick3t runs an outdoor tent a couple hundred miles South of you maybe he'll share some first hand experience.

I'm still trying to get the tent dialed in, experimenting with different temps mostly and seeing how that effects humidity. So far it varies wildly and my little humidifier and dehumidifier can't keep up, they help a little but I mostly have to mess with the exhaust and heat to keep things in range as the outside temp and humidity changes.

I tried to add heat with more lights and it did help but adding a space heater with a thermostat was a good solution.

Long story short, there's no easy way out in our climate, but it is doable. I'm just spending more on electricity than I wish I was.

Don't know where on the island you are but hoping it's Victoria rather than Port Hardy. Milder temps will help. I am in Surrey and while my tent is in my room in the basement. I have the furnace vents closed off and my windows are open. I like a cold room. You should be OK. I have a small ceramic type heater. I hear it kick on once in a while. I would get better temperature sensors in there. Don't rely on the heater sensor. GROWNEER LCD Digital Thermostat Temperature Controller 2-Stage Outlet Heating & Cooling - 1100W, -40~248℉, w/Sensor for Fermentation Grow Tent HVAC Equipment Seedling Heat Mat: Amazon.ca: Patio, Lawn & Garden

I'm still trying to get the tent dialed in, experimenting with different temps mostly and seeing how that effects humidity. So far it varies wildly and my little humidifier and dehumidifier can't keep up, they help a little but I mostly have to mess with the exhaust and heat to keep things in range as the outside temp and humidity changes.

I tried to add heat with more lights and it did help but adding a space heater with a thermostat was a good solution.

Long story short, there's no easy way out in our climate, but it is doable. I'm just spending more on electricity than I wish I was.

You need a hyperfan. Thermostatic fan control. :thumb:

Definitely !!! The exhaust fan I've ordered is a 4" 203cfm but tent is only 80cf so i ordered a 100 cfm, going to have intake duct blowing on light to help warm the incoming air while cooling the mars tsl2000!!

Back
Top Bottom