Updated: Rick Simpson - Cannabis Oil - The Real Medicine, How to Produce and Use It

Re: Updated: Rick Simpson - Cannabis Oil - The Real Medicine, How to Produce and Use

Sorry I was away from my computer and hate writing on my phone.

I usually get around 8-9 grams per ounce of bud with a high THC strain called Beyond the Brain grown by a friend of mine. If it just cuttings I get a bit less (like 6-7 grams).

By doing a hot extraction you're pulling everything; including the chlorophyll so if you're expecting honey colored oil this is not the way but since I usually pay a steep price for my weed I usually pull as much as I can from it before I stop.

I don't decarb the oil, I decarb the weed (27 minutes @ 250*F for THC, 50 minutes @ 250*F for CBD) and then use 99.9% medical grade ethanol to make the extraction, I actually expose the oil to as little heat as possible after decarb. Fortunately the alcohol I use evaporates at 168*F (76*C) so I just set my temperature to 175*F and wait. I no longer use a rice cooker, if something can boil water it means its outputting way more temperature than 212*F.

I use a NuWave PIC induction cooktop; it gives me precise temperature control even at very low temperatures (it can output an even 100*F on low). I used a coffee warmer before as a "gentle heating device" but the damn thing had hot spots that reached 280*F.

If you are using heating devices that don't have a thermostat (rice cooker/coffee warmer) you could be decarbing without knowing it.

Motoco, just do this before geeking out and spending money; next time you do an extraction and you are about to throw away your product; put all your product in the rice cooker, cover with your solvent and turn it on. When the alcohol starts to boil turn it off and leave covered for 60 minutes. Strain and filter, your alcohol will look like petroleum. Mix with your other alcohol and evaporate, you should get higher yield.

Re: Updated: Rick Simpson - Cannabis Oil - The Real Medicine, How to Produce and Use

Hey Lab Rat,

Your higher yield isn't what I'm looking for when making my concentrate. I understand your position on why you want bigger yields due to cost and stretching your product. I try to keep my oil as clean as I can get. Our methods are both hot extract, you decarb first at the same temp I decarb at and the same time if I'm doing a 'double boiler' method (most efficient decarb). Two important reasons for this for me; to insure all the carrier is evaporated off and syringing large batches is much easier right after the decarb.

Thank you very much for your explanations. By the way what do you use your concentrate for? Thanks

Sorry I was away from my computer and hate writing on my phone.

I usually get around 8-9 grams per ounce of bud with a high THC strain called Beyond the Brain grown by a friend of mine. If it just cuttings I get a bit less (like 6-7 grams).

By doing a hot extraction you're pulling everything; including the chlorophyll so if you're expecting honey colored oil this is not the way but since I usually pay a steep price for my weed I usually pull as much as I can from it before I stop.

I don't decarb the oil, I decarb the weed (27 minutes @ 250*F for THC, 50 minutes @ 250*F for CBD) and then use 99.9% medical grade ethanol to make the extraction, I actually expose the oil to as little heat as possible after decarb. Fortunately the alcohol I use evaporates at 168*F (76*C) so I just set my temperature to 175*F and wait. I no longer use a rice cooker, if something can boil water it means its outputting way more temperature than 212*F.

I use a NuWave PIC induction cooktop; it gives me precise temperature control even at very low temperatures (it can output an even 100*F on low). I used a coffee warmer before as a "gentle heating device" but the damn thing had hot spots that reached 280*F.

If you are using heating devices that don't have a thermostat (rice cooker/coffee warmer) you could be decarbing without knowing it.

Motoco, just do this before geeking out and spending money; next time you do an extraction and you are about to throw away your product; put all your product in the rice cooker, cover with your solvent and turn it on. When the alcohol starts to boil turn it off and leave covered for 60 minutes. Strain and filter, your alcohol will look like petroleum. Mix with your other alcohol and evaporate, you should get higher yield.

Well I have a type of benign tumor in my brainstem for which there is no chemo or radiation and which can only be removed via surgery; unfortunately at least 50% of mine is inoperable.

RSO has helped reducing the numbness and pins and needles on the left side of my body and increasing my sensitivity. Sexually it has been great.

When is it done?
People talk about bubble size, bubble color, amount of bubbles, etc. That's ok but I needed a more scientific way to determine that.
The alcohol/oil mix will not go above 168.8*F (76*C) because anything higher turns to vapor. If you boil water you cannot get it to go above 212*F (100*C), no matter how much heat you add. The only exception is pressurized water which is why radiator caps are built to withstand 15-18 psi.

Going back the the alcohol/oil mix, as the alcohol content starts to evaporate you will slowly see a rise in temperature that more closely matches the source temperature. A rice cooker can boil water so it outputs more than 212*F and you therefore run the risk of burning the oil.

Alcohol PH and Winterizing, or how to polish your extract.
This will hurt your output yield by 20-30%.

Chlorophyll has a PH of around 4 (acid) alcohol has a PH of 7.4 (water's is 7) but by heating the product it will make the chlorophyll and waxes more easily soluble in alcohol.

By using small amounts of calcium hydroxide (PH 11.7) you can increase the PH of the alcohol to reduce the chlorophyll pickup. Calcium hydroxide is used in the food industry and in small amounts it is completely safe. Dissolving an antacid in your alcohol might have a similar effect although I'm not sure how much would be needed to increase the PH. You can use litmus paper to determine the PH.

Winterizing

Olive oil from the first press is green and has lots of solids, yet the one you buy at the store is yellow and clear, how is it done? Its winterized or cooled to a certain temperature and then refiltered.

In case of our alcohol/oil mix, pass the whole thing through coffee filters to remove the thicker stuff and place in a sealed container in the freezer for 48 hours. Alcohol will not freeze at such low temperatures but solids will precipitate and go to the bottom.

Refilter your alcohol, you will notice the filter getting full of stuff that previously went through.

UV reacting

The UV radiation in the sunlight will quickly break down the chlorophyll and breakdown products are amber, so the green color will disappears. Simply put your alcohol/oil mix in the sun for 4-5 hours.

Hope it helps.

Around December (Christmas) I will be receiving a meter to check potency of THC/CBD/etc. I can run some test. Thank you for your info Lab Rat. BTW I don't winterize and I know when trying to make absolute oil it reduces the potency but then again by you getting such a big yield it seems you are also diluting your oil. Have you had yours tested at a lab? Thanks again for your info.

i've also pre ordered a mydx,

having doughts about it being too accurate, but hoping it will be consistent in how much it's off.

Around December (Christmas) I will be receiving a meter to check potency of THC/CBD/etc. I can run some test. Thank you for your info Lab Rat. BTW I don't winterize and I know when trying to make absolute oil it reduces the potency but then again by you getting such a big yield it seems you are also diluting your oil. Have you had yours tested at a lab? Thanks again for your info.

Dang Brother, it seems like years since I've ordered mine, lol. My plan is when I get it is to run test on bud, then oil, take notes and then send them to a respected lab I know. Have them check it and compare. If the mydx doesn't match, I didn't expect it too as long as it is consistent. Just subtract the diff and it should be good to go at least better knowledge than I have now. It will be so cool to see different times of harvest or past full term to get max cbd, cbn's. So exactly the same thoughts; hoping it will be consistent :)

i've also pre ordered a mydx,

having doughts about it being too accurate, but hoping it will be consistent in how much it's off.

Lab tested? No dude cannabis is still highly illegal here although I'm personally working with with a congressman (that's not what they're called here) but it will be a while.

I'm growing a high CBD strain from seeds that were smuggled in from Holland, don't know the name of the strain, just that the CBD content is supposed to be twice the THC.

We'll see in about 14 more weeks.

Back
Top Bottom