Uploaded Image Rotation - Exif Data

ConstantGreen

Hey, I notice people upload pictures here that are sometimes rotated to the side or even upside down. I thought they were just noobs at uploading photos but I've started having the same issue and it's pretty annoying.

When I take a picture with my 5 yr. old digital camera, if I was holding the camera in portrait position, the image eventually gets rotated sideways after being uploaded to 420mag. This doesn't happen with portrait photos taken from my smartphone's camera.

When I move the images from my camera's SD card to Windows, the images are automatically rotated into correct position. Portrait photos appear tall and right-side up as I took them. But when uploaded to 420mag, they lay sideways again. I've tried going back and rotating the image around and resaving it, but 420mag still decides to lay them down. I've tried editing the image in paint and resaving it; but 420mag still auto rotates it back sideways. The only way I can get portrait shots to appear straight is by uploading the image to a 3rd party image host, re-downloading it to my desktop, then reuploading it to 420mag. This is very annoying. But I think it shows that the original photos have some kind of meta data that 420mag is obeying.

I notice on other forums they have a checkbox option when uploading photos to "Allow image Exif orientation" or something along those lines. I don't know what that means exactly, but I know images upload straight as they appear in Windows when you choose to ignore the exif data.

Can things be tweaked so images are uploaded correctly? Either default ignore exif, provide checkbox option, or some kind of built-in image rotation for uploads. Thanks.

Hi Versai

This is a common problem with a simple solution. I too had this issue when I joined, and then found this answer. Here is the link to the relevant tip:

Rotating Photos Tip

Note that this solution works with all Windows OS, from 7 upwards.

If you are still experiencing the problem, please drop me a PM or post here again. :thanks:

Thanks, but I've already seen that note and the steps are the same that I've already tried in the OP.

W10 correctly recognizes my image as a portrait when loaded from the micro SD.
Image uploads sideways on 420 mag.
I rotate the image 90 degrees in image viewer, W10 saves it sideways.
I rotate the image 270 degrees into original position, W10 saves it straight.
I try uploading it again and this is the result, still sideways:

DSC015178.JPG

Figured out that the image actually is depending on the exif data to be in correct orientation, but 420 must not be using exif then. I uploaded the same image on another website and it comes out straight if I check the "Allow image orientation based on Exif data". Comes out sideways there also without it.

ss_2016-05-20_at_04_03_03_.png

So I guess exif is a good thing. Need exif or another workaround.

High Versai

I downloaded that pic and checked it with EXIF Viewer and there is no readable EXIF data in it that I can find. Once a pic is resized or edited in many picture programs that data is lost. None of the pics I've checked on this site have EXIF data so why so many stay sideways is a puzzle to me. I process all my pics with an ancient version of Paint Shop Pro, v.8.1 on XP Pro and it saves EXIF data even in edited pics but after uploading here those same pics don't show any.

For those using phones or cameras that geo locate make sure to turn that off when taking pics of your grows so you don't hand LEO your grow site location!

:peace:

None of the pics I've checked on this site have EXIF data so why so many stay sideways is a puzzle to me.

:peace:

None of them have EXIF data because 420mag doesn't use it and must wipe the EXIF data when uploaded. So many stay sideways because they apparently do need the EXIF to be oriented properly.

I grabbed EXIF checker and the original jpeg does have EXIF data:

File name: DSC01517.JPG
File size: 5,804,647 Byte

Image information:
Created: 06/27/2010, 12:biglaugh:17
Digitalized: 06/27/2010, 12:biglaugh:17
Modified: 06/27/2010, 12:biglaugh:17
Image size: 4320 x 3240 Pixel
Horizontal res.: 72 dpi (dots per inch)
Vertical res.: 72 dpi (dots per inch)
Compression: 4 Bits/Pixel
EXIF version: 2.21
FlashPix ver.: 1.0

Camera information:
Manufacturer: SONY
Model: DSC-W350

Camera settings:
Flash light: (unknown)
F-Nummer: F 2.7
Max. aperature value: F 2.7
Exposure time: 1/250 sec.
Focusal length: 5.0 mm
Exposure program: Normal control
ISO speed rate: ISO-100
Metering mode: Multi-Segment
Light source: Auto

My guess is 420 wipes all the exif data to eliminate those geo codes. But maybe there could be a more specific setting to allow for the orientation data. Though I don't see anything specifically about orientation in this data. Maybe older versions of exif just rely on the pixel length x width.

"Image size: 4320 x 3240 Pixel" Sounds like the data is defining it as landscape, even when it's in correct orientation in W10 picture viewer.

I browse and select the images I want to upload; all landscape except for one saved in portrait after being rotated in W10 picture viewer.

ss_2016-06-01_at_04_07_19_1.jpg

5 seconds later, 420mag has already decided to orient the photo as landscape, before it even starts uploading.

ss_2016-06-01_at_06_59_47_.jpg

In the past, I've rotated my photos prior to upload by simply right-clicking the image and select "Rotate-clockwise" or whatever single move will rotate them to the proper position and I've not had any issues with photo orientation. More than one move has caused problems in the past so I try and avoid it if possible. You might want to try that and see if that helps.

When an image is viewed on PC, it is shown in the correct orientation. However, this is only a viewing perspective.

Our software seems to upload every image in landscape, unless the image is physically saved in the portrait position. We are working on this with our programmers.

In order to save a photo taken in Portrait orientation for uploading, the file has to be saved in that perspective.

One simple solution is:

Right click on the Portrait image file and choose "Edit" - The image opens in MS Paint.

"Save" the image in MS paint, without doing anything else.

This saves the Portrait orientation for uploading.

Hope this helps! :goodluck:

Back
Top Bottom