Urgent help needed: dog diagnosed with melanoma and given only weeks or months to live

Blunty1993

420 Member
Hi all,

I really need urgent help. My 7 year old staffie has recently been diagnosed with melanoma cancer and the vet thinks she has only weeks to months left to live. We are devastated and we are not ready to give her up yet.

I have heard about the amazing healing properties of cannabis oil for humans but never considered it for dogs until now. I think this is her only hope but sadly we live in the UK where cannabis is still strictly prohibited. There is cannabis oil you can buy from some shops but they don't have thc in. From what I've read, the cannabis will need to have THC to have any chance of shrinking my dog's tumours. I know a few people who might be able to help but I am not really comfortable with trying to get the oil through the black market.

Does anybody know of any way that I can get the right stuff online somehow? I know I could try and make it as well but it looks quite complicated and I'm worried that I might not get the formula right!

Please help. :( I am frantically looking for a way to save my dog. We rescued her from a shelter last year and we've only had her for about a year. I don't think she had a good life before she was with us and it just seems so unfair. Even if I can't save her, I would feel better knowing I tried!

Thanks in advance everyone.

Sorry to hear about your dog. I hope you find something that helps. As far as oil. I only know of CBD and how to make thc oil. Unfortunately, that would at least involve buying the flower on the black market. Making the oil after that is simple. I do not know the science of the health benefits but I'm making some for my dad as well as cbd. Best of luck

@Blunty1993

I used to work with a rescue, fostering and homing “bully” breeds, mostly staffies, Amstaffs, and pitties and at one point has 6 of my own, all rescues. Most of these dogs here in NA come from fighting rings and bad homes, you have done well for this dog just by giving her a real home.

I don’t know how to help you with obtaining oil or dosing but keep this in mind, even if you are unable to cure her, by rescuing her and giving her a loving home for the last year of her life is probably the greatest gift she could ever have.

One other thought is although CBD may not treat the issue it may help with comfort and pain. My dog Andi (pittie rescue) is very anxious and we give her CBD during thunderstorms and fireworks. It doesn't treat the underlying issue but it makes life easier for her. Just another thought. I know my situation is for anxiety but I hear many use it for pain relief with their dogs as well. I'm not sure if this is relevant but I thought it might be

It is actually the back story behind my current profile pic. I was trying to remodel and all of the noise was scarying my dog so I jokingly put ear muffs on her for a second

Sorry to hear about your dog. I hope you find something that helps. As far as oil. I only know of CBD and how to make thc oil. Unfortunately, that would at least involve buying the flower on the black market. Making the oil after that is simple. I do not know the science of the health benefits but I'm making some for my dad as well as cbd. Best of luck

Well I'm happy to buy bud off the black market. I am a stoner anyway but just never put weed to use for this kind of thing before! I'm just worried about getting it 'right' for my dog. Obviously it has a different effect giving dogs CBD oil in comparison to humans. Is it really that easy to make the oil?

Very easy to make oil, some isopropyl, a couple jars and a coffee filter.

Freeze your bud and the iso for 24hrs. Put bud in glass jar and enough iso to cover the bud. Cap the jar and shake it for a minute or 2 and then strain the wash into a second jar.

If you are using it for edibles, pour the filtered wash into a large glass pie plate, casserole dish etc, and put let the iso evaporate off leaving you oil.

I feel your pain. I've lost 2 dogs in the past & it tore me up for weeks before I started getting over it. Still hurts to see pics of my dogs. Mostly because I was too stupid to know how bad a tooth infection can be for a dog. Vet couldn't see her for 4 days & I never thought of taking her somewhere else as I didn't think she could die from it. Vet didn't tell me a thing so I figured it was OK to wait. BIG MISTAKE !!! My dog died the day before she was suppose to go to the Vet. If the Vet would have told me it was that serious she would have got help immediately.
That being said, Do all you can for your baby so you'll know you did all you could. It's better than carrying around the guilt like I do. I wish I could kick my own ass for that. I'll never chance anything with my dogs again. I love them way too much !
RIP Lacy (my Pekingese)

I would get a electro silver machine like a Silver Puppy. Fill it's water dish with the silver ionic water instead of plain water. That does wonders for animals. Then I would make Rick Simpson oil and apply it to the sores.

Hi all. I'm new to this thread but need some help.

My poor little 5.5 month old puppy, Porkchop, was run down by what appears to be a drunk driver last week. My other 14 month old puppy, Greta, witnessed his death but more distressingly, she snuck into the pirch where Porkchop's lifeless body was wrapped in an old down comforter.

In her distress, Greta pulled Porkchop's body halfway across the room, tried to get him to move by barking crazily at him and biting him and pulling large chunks of his fur out. Greta and Porkchop had been best buds and this event was very traumatic for her. I was alerted to Greta being in the porch by her growling and barking as she tried to get her Buddy to move. By the time I opened the porch door Greta had ripped the down comforter in three huge spots and was maniacally pulling the feathers out of the blanket. You should have seen the mess.

But ever since that moment, Greta wont leave my side. She even refuses to go outside for more than 10 minutes at a time. Except if I go outside with her.

She is also needing an incredible amount of attention. Belly rub after belly rub after belly rub.

I dont mind giving out belly rubs. In fact it's one of the better parts of my day. But belly rubs constantly throughout the day? I just dont have the time!

She has finally stopped searching the house and grounds for Porkchop. I still find myself still looking for him. It's so hard on both of us.

But I already dose myself with both CBD and thc oils fir my own pain and thought that Greta sure could use some anxiety relief too.

But the problem is that I dont know what dosage to begin with.

Greta is a black lab at about 70 lbs. She is also very active and gets tons of exercise out here on the farm.

I started her off with 0.05 ml of 10% CBS oil but it didnt have much affect. Then i gave her 0.1 ml and it seemed to work better but i wasnt sure.

The dose i gave her last night was 0.15 ml and all i noticed was that she slept well AND ate her food for the first time since little Porkchop died.

So what I'm wondering is what would be an average/normal dosing range for a 14 month old puppy who is very active and weighs about 70 lbs?

Can anyone give me an idea? I would be most appreciative.

All my best,
~Magnus

Do not give your dog your cbd oil. The oil itself may upset her stomach.

You can buy cbd-for-dogs at many pharmacies that sell it for human consumption as well as at mmj dispensaries.

Do not give your dog your cbd oil. The oil itself may upset her stomach.

You can buy cbd-for-dogs at many pharmacies that sell it for human consumption as well as at mmj dispensaries.
Not in Canada you cant. There is nothing wrong with giving her CBD oil. It is simply Grapeseed oil which is not on the list of foods not to give your dog.

I'm not sure where you got that info but the CBD oil used for humans is the exact same oil always sold for use on dogs. There is no difference except that the CBD oil for dogs is usually baked in treats. But baked in treats or not it's still the same stuff. If the treats with the oil do not harm your dog then neither will the straight CBD oil.

Doesnt make my tummy upset and it has not been making Greta's tummy upset since beginning to give it to her. She, of course, gets a very reduced dose of only 0.1 ml while I take 0.6 ml.

That is the only difference- the dosage.

Not trying to be rude or to burst your bubble...

Best,
~Magnus.

I use CBD oil and so do my dogs. Both oils come from the same manufacturer, Medix. I was told, when I first started looking for an oil for the dog, that the oil in the human med is different from the dog's and it could upset their stomach. The human med uses hempseed oil and vitamin E.

I can't find the dog's bottle.

And I completely understand what you're going through. I've lost dogs. It's not at all easy. Knowing you're about to lose one is one of the worst times of my life.

I use CBD oil and so do my dogs. Both oils come from the same manufacturer, Medix. I was told, when I first started looking for an oil for the dog, that the oil in the human med is different from the dog's and it could upset their stomach. The human med uses hempseed oil and vitamin E.

I can't find the dog's bottle.
Mine uses just Grapeseed oil. Different manufacturers will each have their own base oil they use. The vitamin E is added to your oil to prevent your hemp seed oil from going rancid. Without the vitamin E your hemp seed oil would go rancid within about 6 months to a year. Thsts the shelf limit for that oil. Maybe something in the vitamin E or the hemp seed oil itself might cause problems for dogs - I dont really know. But grspeseed oil is perfectly benign when it is consumed by any canine.

And I completely understand what you're going through. I've lost dogs. It's not at all easy. Knowing you're about to lose one is one of the worst times of my life.
Mine too.

Canada has very different laws than the states and I dont live in the states. Up here, you either buy your very expensive oil from your vet or you do what most people do...they use their own CBD oil on their pets.

No pharmacy in Canada sells CBD oil. Not one.

Back
Top Bottom