US -What the Ultra-Right Professes

Pinch

"Minnesota Killer was a Pothead".. SAY WHAT?

Washington, DC -April 20, 2005 Let's face it: some journalists may not want to discuss it because they use pot themselves as a "recreational" drug.

The pro-marijuana lobby and much of the media have been silent about the fact that the killer student in Red Lake, Minnesota, Jeff Weise, was a pothead, and that scientific studies link marijuana to mental illness. This is an inconvenient fact because we have been led to believe there is such a thing as "medical marijuana" and that dope has medical benefits. Let's face it: some journalists may not want to discuss it because they use pot themselves as a "recreational" drug.

An AP Story that ran in USA Today said that Weise posted information about his own mental state in the months before he killed nine people and himself. But the story failed to note that his comments included favorable references to using marijuana or MJ. Weise said, "MJ is my gal of choice." A March 25 Washington Post article by Blaine Harden and Dana Hedgpeth said Weise had serious mental problems but ignored the pot connection. A March 24 Post article by Ceci Connolly and Dana Hedgpeth described "a deeply disturbed youth who had been treated for depression in a psychiatric ward," was taking the antidepressant Prozac, and had been hospitalized for suicidal tendencies. But the Post story didn't mention his marijuana addiction. The story did wonder "what triggered Jeff Weise's deadly outburst."

Antidepressants have to be studied as a factor. But the Weise rampage may also be linked to marijuana. Indeed, there's evidence that pot can trigger mental illness and heavy users say that it can provoke thoughts of rage, fear and violence.

The BBC recently reported on how scientists at New Zealand's University of Otago had concluded that marijuana smokers are almost twice as likely to suffer schizophrenia and psychosis. The BBC said that the study of potheads suggested this was probably due to chemical changes in the brain which resulted from smoking the drug.

The Newscientist.com recently ran an article https://www.newscientist.com/channel/health/mg18524921.300 by Graham Lawton on the evidence that "for some teenagers, smoking cannabis leads to serious mental health problems in later life, including schizophrenia."

As part of its Four Corners investigative program, the Australian Broadcasting Corporation ran a story titled "Messing With Heads," about young marijuana users in treatment for psychosis. Reporter Janine Cohen reported that, "For years, people thought cannabis was a benign drug. But now those working in the field know better. They are seeing the withdrawal symptoms-the cravings, anxiety and mood swings." She said that "One in five young Australians smoke cannabis every week. And 10 per cent of those become addicted. Worse still, some end up in psychiatric hospitals with long-term chronic illnesses."

Young potheads described what the drug did to them. A boy named Danny said, "I really had bad paranoia. You know, used to think I had to sleep with a knife under my bed 'cause I used to think people were going to come in and bash me during the night or something, just for me mull or something, yeah." A boy named Jake said, "You start going psycho and abusing people, it just, you change into a totally different person and it's just not good." A young woman, Jolan Tobias, was described as one of the most severe cases ever. She had auditory and visual hallucinations, paranoia, and entertained conspiracy theories and religious delusions.

Cohen referred to the view that if marijuana or cannabis was inducing psychosis, we would see an increasing amount of psychosis with the intake of cannabis in the community. Some experts, she said, claimed we are not seeing those increasing numbers. But Dr. Andrew Campbell said the evidence was starting to emerge. He explained, "Where people are counting the evidence is now coming out that there is an increasing risk of psychosis in increasing rates-particularly in young men. That's coming out of the Netherlands, it's coming out of Italy, there's some reports, I've heard about anecdotally from America which has the same problem."

Professor Wayne Hall said that there is no question that the marijuana is directly linked to mental problems. He said there are plenty of cases of individuals "who had no preceding history of psychosis before the cannabis use, who did develop marked psychotic symptoms with very high dose of cannabis..." Then he went on to say that, in some of these cases, the people had been given marijuana "for medicinal or other reasons."

This is more proof that so-called "medical marijuana" is a scam. People who have been led to believe that marijuana can alleviate their physical problems may come down with mental problems that can threaten the rest of us.

Source: Accuracy In Media
Copyright: © 2004 Accuracy In Media, All Rights Reserved.

what a douche...

WE'RE TALKING ABOUT A WHOLE BUNCH OF DOUCHES..

A friend of mine gets these regularily, I hope he continues to pass them on to me.

Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.. :icon_cool

Re: US -What the Ultra-Right Professes- A Response

The following is my friend's (a native American) response to the ULTRA-RIGHT article where the writer blamed pot smoking for the tragic event, murder.

Orange County, CA April 21, 2005 -Mr. Kincaid:

I find your article entitled "Minnesota Killer was a Pothead" to be 1) extremely callous 2) A poor case to condemn the entire "pro marijuana lobby" 3) It is inaccurate. It is especially irritating when you call your website "accuracy in media". There isn't any doctor in the land that would prescribe cannabis or any legal form of it such as Marinol to treat ANY mental disorders as what you allude to in your article. You are doing nothing more (in my opinion) than creating fear and "muddying the water" on the issue of "medical marijuana".

It is extremely callous that you use the incident involving Jeff Weise in Minnesota to promote YOUR own political agenda. There are many families still grieving in Minnesota over this tragic event. There are enough problems on the reservation without you exploiting this tragedy to incite more right wing extremists to visit your website. You are entitled to your opinions. Don't use native American tragedies to promote your own viewpoints.

Your article is inaccurate. Jeff Weise was not using medical marijuana. No doctor would prescribe a mentally troubled teen with such a strong drug as you allude to in your article. Medical marijuana is prescribed by a medical doctor. Jeff Weise was not prescribed marijuana by any medical doctor. He was using the drug illegally. You stated in your article "Antidepressants have to be studied as a factor. But the Weise rampage may also be linked to marijuana. Indeed, there's evidence that pot can trigger mental illness and heavy users say that it can provoke thoughts of "rage, fear and violence" You state the obvious that Prozac may have played a role but you decide to ONLY focus on marijuana. Prozac and suicide are linked but you just waltz over this issue. There is little opposition in the "pro marijuana lobbyist" side of the coin that Jeff Weise SHOULD NOT be using marijuana to treat his mental illness. This is simply ludicrous to even imply that marijuana can cure mental illness. It would make the illness worse. MARIJUANA IS NOT USED TO CURE MENTAL ILLNESS. The only source of information that you cited on the negative benefits of marijuana has this to say about the information you cite as fact: "NewScientist.com also does not give any warranty or other assurance as to the content of the material appearing on the site, its accuracy, completeness, timelessness or fitness for any particular purpose." In other words "believe it if you want". Sounds like the rhetoric of politicians! Is this your quality stamp of accuracy? Marijuana (according to some opinions) has less side effects than Prozac. Here are a few articles about Prozac and suicide that I googled : https://www.oralchelation.net/data/Lilly/lilly6.htm , https://starbulletin.com/98/01/09/news/story2.html, Archived Article Notice .

This is surely NOT being accurate when you only focus on your own opinion that "medical marijuana" is a scam. Medical marijuana is fact. There are many patients that benefit from marijuana. Those that have cancer, multiple sclerosis, chronic pain, AIDS, the list goes on and on. Worldwide Eli Lilly sells a drug derived from pot called Marinol. Some states allow doctors to prescribe marijuana in its natural form. It is legal. The state (i.e. California) voted this into law. People in my state of California voted for and by popular vote made this law. Doctors can prescribe the natural plant that Marinol is derived from(marijuana). Look for it in a state near you. In my opinion your article tells me that you are a mouthpiece for the Eli Lilly Company who holds the patent for the only medical marijuana drug Marinol as well as Prozac. It is a little known fact that Dan Quayle (George Bush's Sr. Vice President) is also the son of the owner of Eli Lilly. Are right wing views clouding your judgment and protecting Eli Lilly's monopoly on medical marijuana? Your article is less than accurate and less than convincing that you are nothing but a mouthpiece for Elli Lilly, Anhueser Busch, all of the liquor distilleries, (insert any company that gave $ to the Republican cause). AIM = substandard reporting.

Yeah your pal makes all the right points.
-Prozac, and other anti depressants are fucking evil, took them for a year myself and I've never been happier than without 'em
-Those people having hallucinations could have been on something else at the time, the weed could have been laced, etc.
-Prozac is fucking evil
-People who are already mentally unstable would be more susceptible to abusing drugs, but hey, I've been classified as having manic depression for a few years now, and weed is the only thing keeping me sane anymore. I tried anti-depressants and they made me just "blah," and even violently suicidal at times. So my doctor puts me on another medication to make that go away. Guess what, the side effects of this new medicine are very closely related to the symptoms of depression. So I'd pop one of my anti-d pills, start feeling very, very shitty, take one of my other pills, and then I'm right back to being just depressed again. Talk about a vicious cycle. Funny thing is, I started smoking pot, told my doctor to fuck off and gave him back his pills. No problems since.
-Did I mention prozac is evil?
-Government is known to control the media to a very high degree, so this could just be another fucking propoganda tool

ScottyBThatIsMe said:
Yeah your pal makes all the right points.
-Prozac, and other anti depressants are fucking evil, took them for a year myself and I've never been happier than without 'em
-Those people having hallucinations could have been on something else at the time, the weed could have been laced, etc.
-Prozac is fucking evil
-People who are already mentally unstable would be more susceptible to abusing drugs, but hey, I've been classified as having manic depression for a few years now, and weed is the only thing keeping me sane anymore. I tried anti-depressants and they made me just "blah," and even violently suicidal at times. So my doctor puts me on another medication to make that go away. Guess what, the side effects of this new medicine are very closely related to the symptoms of depression. So I'd pop one of my anti-d pills, start feeling very, very shitty, take one of my other pills, and then I'm right back to being just depressed again. Talk about a vicious cycle. Funny thing is, I started smoking pot, told my doctor to fuck off and gave him back his pills. No problems since.
-Did I mention prozac is evil?
-Government is known to control the media to a very high degree, so this could just be another fucking propoganda tool

Yes, you did mention prozac was evil.. :laughtwo:

Back
Top Bottom