Using Cannabis To Reduce Or Replace Opiod Drugs

Posted this in a similar thread. But thought I'd post it here too.
In 2009, I had a lower back surgery. My third procedure. Failed. Spinal stenosis. Epidural fibrosis.
While I was waiting for the surgery, and after, I was loaded up on OxyContin. At my peak I was taking as much as 880 mg per day. Took me 3years to take MYSELF off of it by reducing my prescription by 30 pills every month or two. Once I got to about a third of my dosage, my doctor was happy to talk to me about prescribing me cannabis for long term pain management. He's been my doctor for 25 years, and I have always been open about my usage with him. That didn't change when it came to talking about how cannabis was the only thing that suppresses the spasms. Gives me a chance to sleep. The key to everything. OxyContin just makes it so that I don't give a shit. About anything. Much less remember anything. Much healthier choice.
Now I manage better than ever with my cannabis perscription, and some spinal Cortizone injections every three months. My quality of life has increased tenfold.
Peace and good living.

Thank you for sharing that Mike. :hug: Would you be so kind as to share with us how you're using the cannabis?

For those interested in how to use Kratom, I'll tell you how we do it. First off it is a tree leaf that is crushed into a powder that can be mixed with a liquid or even smoked. From my research smoking destroys the alkaloids which is something you don't want to do. The leaf is very bitter so we mix it with orange juice. After a while it becomes an acquired taste and I actually like the taste in OJ. Dosing is something you'll have to figure out for yourself. It is another non-toxic plant but if you take too much you may vomit. It happen to my wife at about 11 grams. Everyone is different though. I would suggest starting at 4 grams and wait about 30 minutes before taking anymore. Some people can become dependent on it but it is about like being dependent on coffee. My research suggests staying under 15 grams a day to avoid dependency. If you are battling severe withdrawal symptoms you may need more than 15 grams a day. The effects last about 4-6 hours for my wife, strain depending.

There are 3 main strains and they are determined by the color of the vein in the leaf. White vein is energizing, mood elevating and increases focus but has the least pain relief properties. It helps with the depression that comes with chronic pain. Red strains are more like opioids. They have the greatest pain relief but can make you tired. Green strains are a mix of effects between white and red. You can mix strains for custom effects. My wife takes the white in the morning and red at night, we haven't mixed the 2 yet because we have found this works for her. I tend to only use the white strains. You really do love life on the whites. I don't care how taxing work can become, a little white and I'm ready to tackle anything with a good attitude about it. I was at the point I was ready to find another job. Kratom made me see it wasn't the job, it was my attitude towards working so much. Now I don't mind at all. Sorry I'm rambling now. Just do your research and make your own decision. There are plenty of Kratom reviews on Youtube.

For those interested in how to use Kratom, I'll tell you how we do it. First off it is a tree leaf that is crushed into a powder that can be mixed with a liquid or even smoked. From my research smoking destroys the alkaloids which is something you don't want to do. The leaf is very bitter so we mix it with orange juice. After a while it becomes an acquired taste and I actually like the taste in OJ. Dosing is something you'll have to figure out for yourself. It is another non-toxic plant but if you take too much you may vomit. It happen to my wife at about 11 grams. Everyone is different though. I would suggest starting at 4 grams and wait about 30 minutes before taking anymore. Some people can become dependent on it but it is about like being dependent on coffee. My research suggests staying under 15 grams a day to avoid dependency. If you are battling severe withdrawal symptoms you may need more than 15 grams a day. The effects last about 4-6 hours for my wife, strain depending.

There are 3 main strains and they are determined by the color of the vein in the leaf. White vein is energizing, mood elevating and increases focus but has the least pain relief properties. It helps with the depression that comes with chronic pain. Red strains are more like opioids. They have the greatest pain relief but can make you tired. Green strains are a mix of effects between white and red. You can mix strains for custom effects. My wife takes the white in the morning and red at night, we haven't mixed the 2 yet because we have found this works for her. I tend to only use the white strains. You really do love life on the whites. I don't care how taxing work can become, a little white and I'm ready to tackle anything with a good attitude about it. I was at the point I was ready to find another job. Kratom made me see it wasn't the job, it was my attitude towards working so much. Now I don't mind at all. Sorry I'm rambling now. Just do your research and make your own decision. There are plenty of Kratom reviews on Youtube.
It wasn't addictive for us at all! We love the extra energy and focus the white gives us. I'm usually very anxious when I smoke some sativas, but kratom does not make me feel like that. It's a pure clean energy and I don't feel jittery or like I'm "coming down" from it. It leaves peacefully and I'm not tired when it's effects start to dwindle. The Red is great for night time also. I've never taken it without smoking mj, so it's effects aren't as clear as the white. Yeah, I feel the red, but the I Did a has a similar effect, so the both together ensures an amazing night of sleep. Lol!

It's good to catch you and be able to chat for a bit Neiko. Please say hi to Mrs Neiko for me. We miss you guys! That reminds me. I need to talk to Nis about a spring getaway to Colorado to meet up with you guys and some of the others we have met, and maybe others we haven't met yet. We will get a few dates that seem good, and shoot you or Mrs. N. A message. Have a good day!

Canna

Thank you both for your input. :hug: I'd missed this plant altogether. It appears I should be looking more closely at it.

Colorado would be beyond sweet! I miss all of you so much sometimes it's crazy. :battingeyelashes: :love:

Thank you for sharing that Mike. :hug: Would you be so kind as to share with us how you're using the cannabis?

Mostly, I vaporize heavy Indica strains for night time when I'm trying to sleep. Of all the things in this world, nothing, and I mean nothing, mellows out spasms and gives me a chance to sleep like cannabis Indica. No sleep = no ability to cope/manage. For me, sleep is the catalyst to a higher quality of life. When I first get my Cortizone, I'm usually pretty good for the first 5 to 8 weeks. It's usually in the last month when I get into trouble. However, I have been watching your other threads very closely. You have a lot to offer, and I am certainly learning a lot from you. Truly inspiring to watch you work. I have a close friend who has said that since he has been doing the capsules(he makes his own), it has changed his life. I'm very intrigued by this, and looking forward to making my own. I feel that a regular regiment of a high one to one ratio would go a long way for someone like me. I have a lot of questions for you and your entourage LOL, but I figure I'll save them for when I'm actually ready to get going.
Peace and good living .

It wasn't addictive for us at all! We love the extra energy and focus the white gives us. I'm usually very anxious when I smoke some sativas, but kratom does not make me feel like that. It's a pure clean energy and I don't feel jittery or like I'm "coming down" from it. It leaves peacefully and I'm not tired when it's effects start to dwindle. The Red is great for night time also. I've never taken it without smoking mj, so it's effects aren't as clear as the white. Yeah, I feel the red, but the I Did a has a similar effect, so the both together ensures an amazing night of sleep. Lol!

It's good to catch you and be able to chat for a bit Neiko. Please say hi to Mrs Neiko for me. We miss you guys! That reminds me. I need to talk to Nis about a spring getaway to Colorado to meet up with you guys and some of the others we have met, and maybe others we haven't met yet. We will get a few dates that seem good, and shoot you or Mrs. N. A message. Have a good day!

Canna

Hi Canna! We haven't experienced any dependency issues either but it could happen so I'd thought I'd throw that out there for people so they are aware it could happen. I can't/don't want to imagine my life without it now. Same for cannabis.
The misses told me you two were talking about CO. I'm up for anything. It would be nice if we could put together another reunioun. This time we need Doc's attendance.

Neiko, I reformatted for easier reading. :cheesygrinsmiley:

For those interested in how to use Kratom, I'll tell you how we do it.

First off it is a tree leaf that is crushed into a powder that can be mixed with a liquid or even smoked. From my research smoking destroys the alkaloids which is something you don't want to do.

The leaf is very bitter so we mix it with orange juice. After a while it becomes an acquired taste and I actually like the taste in OJ.

Dosing is something you'll have to figure out for yourself. It is another non-toxic plant but if you take too much you may vomit. It happen to my wife at about 11 grams. Everyone is different though. I would suggest starting at 4 grams and wait about 30 minutes before taking anymore.

Some people can become dependent on it but it is about like being dependent on coffee. My research suggests staying under 15 grams a day to avoid dependency. If you are battling severe withdrawal symptoms you may need more than 15 grams a day.

The effects last about 4-6 hours for my wife, strain depending.

There are 3 main strains and they are determined by the color of the vein in the leaf.

- White vein is energizing, mood elevating and increases focus but has the least pain relief properties. It helps with the depression that comes with chronic pain.

- Red strains are more like opioids. They have the greatest pain relief but can make you tired.

- Green strains are a mix of effects between white and red.

You can mix strains for custom effects. My wife takes the white in the morning and red at night, we haven't mixed the 2 yet because we have found this works for her. I tend to only use the white strains.

You really do love life on the whites. I don't care how taxing work can become, a little white and I'm ready to tackle anything with a good attitude about it. I was at the point I was ready to find another job. Kratom made me see it wasn't the job, it was my attitude towards working so much. Now I don't mind at all. Sorry I'm rambling now. Just do your research and make your own decision. There are plenty of Kratom reviews on Youtube.

Kratom is illegal to import into Canada in any form of the tree. But might not be a concern as most of us grow in secret.
I know your in USA sue,but might be similar laws

Kratom is illegal to import into Canada in any form of the tree. But might not be a concern as most of us grow in secret.
I know your in USA sue,but might be similar laws

I'm sure it is New B. The DEA has this bug about people feeling good. Lol! I also know you can still get it through the Internet. I don't know that I want to try it, glowing reports or no. I find I'm quite content with this stratigraphic buzz I maintain with my oils. But for someone going through withdrawal this may be the puzzle piece that makes all the difference.

I saw what Suboxone did to Neiko's wife, and knowing they were able to get her free of that insane medication assures me it's worth pursuing.

What the pharmaceutical companies have done to pain patients around the world makes them murderers in my eyes. There's no excuse for this epidemic. Greed wasn't worth this. All across our country doctors are complicit in the carnage, and prohibition fuels the entire mess.

We should have some way to peacefully demonstrate how much we all want an end to this madness.

I went through opiate addiction from 1997 to 2001. Evil stuff. As most go, I started off innocent and began to abuse it. I was able to kick it with will power and a supportive (really mean at the time for my own good) wife. It almost ruined our marriage and there is still hurt today. Back then medical marijuana wasn't an option and I couldn't fail a drug test at work.

Fast forward to 2016 and brain surgery. In the ICU, you don't get a choice for pain meds. As an opiate addict, you don't forget that feeling. I was on a pill for pain, a pill for inflammation, a pill for nausea, a pill to sleep, a pill to make me hungry, a pill to poop because of side effects of other pills, and of course the antidepressant. 3 days after coming home from the ICU, I was able to smoke weed and eliminate all but the antidepressant which I continue to taper off of.

Later this month I go under the knife for a full or maybe partial nephrectomy and I'm dreading the opiates and pills. I sure dig the anesthesia though :) I like to try to stay awake. I also like to leave messages for the doctors in sharpie on my body for them to find. My wife once wrote on my butt cheek for me "Hey doc, I won't remember this, but I bet you won't forget!"

Thanks everyone for your stories.

With all the anti-opioids in the news we have to remember that first and foremost, we are Patients, not Addicts. I realize some of you have addiction problems, needing more and more. But many of us stay at one dose for years.

In my situation, I've stayed at the same level of meds - fentanyl 75 patch and 75 mg of Oxycodone per day. I've been on that dose since 2008/9.

I do realize that my body is physically addicted to opioids, but mentally I've never craved more and more. In fact I've never experienced any bit of euphoria they associate with these meds.

Three years ago, while visiting Amsterdam, my husband purchased a cannabis brownie. We split it. I felt absolutely nothing, but my husband? He was stoned, thoroughly stoned. I sat there frustrated.

I'm still trying to find a pain doctor that will include some sort of medical marijuana in a treatment plan. Lately, my fatigue has become unmanageable. I might eat something, then 15 minutes later I feel a crushing fatigue. So much that I'll instantly fall asleep, I just can't meet my eyes open. It's been bad since I was able to stop the antidepressants and mood stabilizers I was on (vibryd and lamictal). At the same time I got off zonegran and upped my dose of Gabapentin to 600mg a day.

Even though I have fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome, I blame the additional fatigue on fentanyl. I have to find some way to get off it, even if I have to switch to oxycontin extended release. From there I want to lower the milligram dosage every month. And yes, try Medical marijuana. But to find a doctor that agrees has been difficult.

The one I'm trying now thinks nerve ablation will work. I'm to undergo a test procedure next Tuesday.

They find out what nerve goes to an area I have pain, then inject an anesthetic right into the nerve bundle. If it kills the pain, then he will schedule the nerve ablation treatment.

What worries me is that he wants to treat one pain at a time. Beginning with the most painful area. But I have fibromyalgia in addition to degenerative disc disease, osteoporosis, osteoarthritis, and endocrine related metabolic bone pain. My areas of pain are constantly shifting. One day it could be my right shoulder region. The next day my left shoulder region. The next day internal hip joint pain. Shoot, earlier tonight I had groin pain and now it's my left shoulder/arm.

It's been a frustrating journey. And now we chronic pain people are being treated like addicts - they forget we're patients first.

I'm growing now to replace tramadol and dyhydrocodine I hate taking the tabs but pain gets too bad

Sent from my SM-N910F using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Exactly the same as me....Only thing that works for my pain is Tramadol or codeine. I can't smoke weed at work though so not sure what to do to get around this.

Have been tempted to get some CBD vape juice and use that at work.

Thanks everyone for your stories.

With all the anti-opioids in the news we have to remember that first and foremost, we are Patients, not Addicts. I realize some of you have addiction problems, needing more and more. But many of us stay at one dose for years.

In my situation, I've stayed at the same level of meds - fentanyl 75 patch and 75 mg of Oxycodone per day. I've been on that dose since 2008/9.

I do realize that my body is physically addicted to opioids, but mentally I've never craved more and more. In fact I've never experienced any bit of euphoria they associate with these meds.

Three years ago, while visiting Amsterdam, my husband purchased a cannabis brownie. We split it. I felt absolutely nothing, but my husband? He was stoned, thoroughly stoned. I sat there frustrated.

I'm still trying to find a pain doctor that will include some sort of medical marijuana in a treatment plan. Lately, my fatigue has become unmanageable. I might eat something, then 15 minutes later I feel a crushing fatigue. So much that I'll instantly fall asleep, I just can't meet my eyes open. It's been bad since I was able to stop the antidepressants and mood stabilizers I was on (vibryd and lamictal). At the same time I got off zonegran and upped my dose of Gabapentin to 600mg a day.

Even though I have fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome, I blame the additional fatigue on fentanyl. I have to find some way to get off it, even if I have to switch to oxycontin extended release. From there I want to lower the milligram dosage every month. And yes, try Medical marijuana. But to find a doctor that agrees has been difficult.

The one I'm trying now thinks nerve ablation will work. I'm to undergo a test procedure next Tuesday.

They find out what nerve goes to an area I have pain, then inject an anesthetic right into the nerve bundle. If it kills the pain, then he will schedule the nerve ablation treatment.

What worries me is that he wants to treat one pain at a time. Beginning with the most painful area. But I have fibromyalgia in addition to degenerative disc disease, osteoporosis, osteoarthritis, and endocrine related metabolic bone pain. My areas of pain are constantly shifting. One day it could be my right shoulder region. The next day my left shoulder region. The next day internal hip joint pain. Shoot, earlier tonight I had groin pain and now it's my left shoulder/arm.

It's been a frustrating journey. And now we chronic pain people are being treated like addicts - they forget we're patients first.

Every slice of the scapel makes fibromyalgia worse, because you aren't a bunch of parts bundled into a skin package. Every bit of you is connected to the rest of you.

The reason you didn't get high from the brownie is likely because, as a fibromyalgia patient we can assume your gut is also inflamed, and that means you don't absorb well through the gut. Have you ever considered a potent infused cannabis oil in suppository form? The potential exists to get a steady supply of much-needed cannabinoids so your Endocannabinoid system can operate more efficiently and handle the job of kickstarting homeostasis.

Your doctor is apparently uneducated about your ECS. His "focused" approach ignores the way your system is evolved to heal. It's kinda intimidating to realize how many practicing physicians are so uninformed. It'll be so much nicer for patients when this is no longer the case and the evidence on cannabis can't be ignored or misinterpreted any longer.

I was watching a class at Green Flower Media on using cannabis to treat neurological diseases and the instructor, a nurse practitioner in California mentioned that she came to cannabis as a pain patient, ready to get off opioids. After a time the nature of opioids is that they begin to cause more pain instead of offering relief. Her first hit brought instant relief and lit a passion in her to work in the field of cannabinoid therapies.

She shared that she recommends a starting point of meds high in CBD and THCa for daytime and high in THC for night. Then you adjust the increases in either THC or CBD as needed while progressing through the opioid elimination process, which, of course, it's recommend you have a trained professional oversee.

While reporting on this at the Study Hall Oldbear shared his story of opioid withdrawal, and I wanted to share it with you here because he makes a good point.

Oldbear said:
SweetSue said:
Yes, Eloise is now opioid free. It was that experience that brought her to cannabis, and quite frankly, after an extensive career in oncology in a legal state she was furious that none of her own medical support staff had never recommended it as a pain relief. It became her passion to see cannabis used more openly medicinally.

I'd recommend you try the suppositories. It's a tough sell, but an effective pathway for chronic pain, particularly of the lower back. I'm conversing with a member over at Magnus8's topicals study hall who uses a good canna pain cream to great effect for multiple pain issues. Topicals are also highly underrated, until you try them.

I'll review the class again today to see if there's anything I missed on the opioid withdrawal plan, but I think I caught the gist of it. Multiple pathways, CBD and THCa for daytime, high THC for night. Some will need more THC, and some will need more CBD, but it's a methodical game of trial and error to find the personal regimen anyway. Start low and titrate up slowly, as always.

She did mention that step one is to get to the point where cannabis will manage the pain and then slowly begin weaning off the opioids, increasing THC or CBD values as necessary. And she mentioned that it sometimes takes a massive amount of THC to offset the pain. This is where I believe suppositories become such a valuable resource. You'll be able to get the THC in, and avoid the first pass through the liver.

Take a couple apigenin capsules about 30-45 minutes before the cannabinoid doses and you'll gain even more time for those cannabinoids to circulate through the system because the enzymes in the liver will be caught up by the sheer numbers of apignen molecules needing metabolized. Competitive inhibition is your friend with cannabinoid therapies.

I have experience I can share. Multiple years on tramadol up to 400 mg a day. Long chat with the doc about side effects and complications from long term use. Doc has just come back from some seminar and what was explained there is with long term use, the opioids lose effectiveness and in fact start to contribute to the pain / cause the pain you are trying to fix.

I was already on a low dose of cannameds. Roughly 5mg thc/cbd 4 to 5 times a day. Cannasnacks (dried decarbed bud bits in or on something) all through the day.

We launched a tramadol reduction program where the dose was reduced in stages over 6 weeks then it became zero.

There were no side effects, no withdrawal symptoms, nothing. At the end I actually felt better because there were no opioids floating around messing things up.

What I learned was that the tramadol was not helping me in any way. Cannabis with no tramadol was better than tramadol with or without cannabinoids.

Based on this and a couple of friends now off the opioids, I have to disagree with first part of the red paragraph.

If you keep taking the opioids, the cannabinoids will never catch up. They will never manage the pain.

Based on my experience the cannabis program must be underway - low doses are fine. But people must immediately start the opioid reduction program for it to have any impact. I did both for several months and nothing changed.

Why so much emphasis on this?

I want people to know that they can start an opioid reduction program and they wont feel worse

Sweetest sue..you are a very good communicator...
I'll re read it all......
I read one touch if your 'bitamin' Forum. Sue your words help to guide my path along some new, n better path. Mi maneros '
I only eat real living food. Period.
When I was afraid I wouldn't continue, your words were.. you are different now. You wouldn't take the shi poison from the white coats.. at the perfect time.
Then cable got cut/ TVs moved and I regained ...time and my perspective...
Then the food ... real food...
Ok we also rediscovered some decarb and kitchen science.. I re did o chem.. plant biology.
And the fall/winter harvest is in. Yummm
'Boveda' sue provides low humidity curing tool. ..leads to so many curing methods..
Single batch ,small batch qwet n hot oil extracts.
Old bears cooking references. So clearly points to cannabis as food....methods for good cooking are good for extraction. Thc-A is an acid.its an amino acid as well. Humans require a minimum amount of amino acids as they can't be stored in humans. Instead they are ingested from living food. Lycopine is another example.
Brownie temp rise, visual oven tool came to light.
Decarb revisited. And revisited.

Sweet sue ... thank you .

*The days are longer than the nights, and I can get out every day and walk.
* I'm practicing intermittent fasting, which should ramp up energy levels even more. Lol!
* I'm out of both Carnival and Dark Devil Auto, which means I'm compromising when I choose what to smoke.
* I've been smoking and consuming almost continuiously, my cue that it's time to do a reset.
* I leave for San Deigo on the 16th, and it would be nice to have a fresh system when I head out in that direction.
* I've been meditating daily for almost five months now, with only two misses in all that time. This suggests I have the emotional wherewithal to pull this off.

.......Looks to me like it's time for a reset. Anybody want to join in? :battingeyelashes:

I'll be starting in the morning. I have one more brownie and my window of opportunity for eating today closes in 20 minutes, allowing me plenty of time to consume it and have the entire evening to enjoy it. I'd love the company, but there's no need for anyone to put yourselves through this. I know you'll hold me together. :circle-of-love:

Eating my brownie.................now. :slide:

Back
Top Bottom