Using compost

Adrenaline19

Has anybody thought to add the trimmed leafs from one plant to their compost to spread over another grow in the future?

I'm curious because the same nutes might really give the compost better kick.

If anybody has, what were the results? Anything noticeable?

i've been doing this in my recent soil build, but haven't used the soil yet so I can't comment on it's effectiveness.. I've seen most people that recycle their soil do this without any negative effects.

I find my soil breaks down the leaves really quickly.. I chop my stems up and throw those in there too with good results.

This is the true definition of composting. Your taking organic matter and returning it to the ground and it then is reused. Its a cycle of nature.
(keeping in mind your plants or grown organically)

Think of the mosquito that bites your arm, that mosquito then flies away and is eaten be a bat, then the bat shits on the ground cause he has been eating bugs all night, all that nasty lil bat shit is then worked and fed into the ground, its available Nitrogen is sucked up by a Tomato plant because the Tomato plant loves to eat shit, that Tomato is then eaten by YOU, then you kind go do what the bat just did. Its a cycle man and has been working out pretty well for the last couple thousand years.

-And yes, we are all eating shit in essence. lol

So throw those leafs and stems in your soil but be sure to allow time for decomposition before you see any results and that can take months sometimes.

And please, dont shit in your soil. lol

I like to keep 2 bins of soil going at all times.. One is a mixed, re amended can of soil that is cooking down and another that gets the trim and stems, with a bit of compost and ewc to help break it down.. My amended soil cooks for a month then I start to use it, but probably won't finish it for about 3-months.. by then, the trim has been mostly decomposed, and the cycle starts over again.

There's nothing like recycling your soil and making it more powerful than the last run. Not having to go to the store and buy dirt is another plus, just the occasional bag of worm shit and some rock dust

Leaf compost has actually higher nitrogen content than most of manures and is one of the greatest thing to enrich your soil with :)
Leaves of some plants can be great conditioner too, for example bamboos contain a lot of silica. I just started cutting my soil with them and will report the results by the end of this outdoor season :bongrip:

Back
Top Bottom