Using gypsum and sulfur to lower soil pH?

Rickpohiogrows420

Hey guys so I bought this bag of organic soil acidifier and what I'm trying to accomplish is bring down this 7 pH soil down a few points I have 6 plants going and 3 pots have different soil than the other 3. I sprinkled in 1 table spoon of this sulfur/gypsum so hopefully that will do it if it does I'll do it to the other two pots!!

Attachments

• 15975173258801635527457.jpg
    15975173258801635527457.jpg
    680.5 KB · Views: 28
  • 1597517353933734090190.jpg
    1597517353933734090190.jpg
    704.2 KB · Views: 28
Might not be as quick as you would like, because the bacteria in the soil will have to oxidize that into sulfuric acid. Aluminum sulfate is said to work quicker. Sulfuric acid (available in auto parts stores by the gallon, as "battery acid") will, of course, be even quicker, as it's already sulfuric acid. Seems like, when a gardener chooses to use "organics" and related stuff, it's probably a better idea to plan things out so that he/she can use them ahead of time, rather than wait until there's an actual issue and then try to correct it on the fly, as it were. In other words, the best time to have used that product would have been a few weeks before you intended to plant something in your soil.

IMHO, of course - and I'm probably not the best person to give opinions about the so-called "organic" way of gardening. I have noticed that Emilya is really knowledgeable about that stuff in general, and has experience with cannabis gardening using such methods. @Emilya , would you happen to know how quickly that product will lower the pH of Rickpohiogrows420's soil?

Might not be as quick as you would like, because the bacteria in the soil will have to oxidize that into sulfuric acid. Aluminum sulfate is said to work quicker. Sulfuric acid (available in auto parts stores by the gallon, as "battery acid") will, of course, be even quicker, as it's already sulfuric acid. Seems like, when a gardener chooses to use "organics" and related stuff, it's probably a better idea to plan things out so that he/she can use them ahead of time, rather than wait until there's an actual issue and then try to correct it on the fly, as it were. In other words, the best time to have used that product would have been a few weeks before you intended to plant something in your soil.

IMHO, of course - and I'm probably not the best person to give opinions about the so-called "organic" way of gardening. I have noticed that Emilya is really knowledgeable about that stuff in general, and has experience with cannabis gardening using such methods. @Emilya , would you happen to know how quickly that product will lower the pH of Rickpohiogrows420's soil?
Thanks for moderating. The effects were not immidiat and that's why I chose this product because I wanted the gradual overtime decrease of pH in the soil and the increase of calcium towards the end of flower I was hoping

Oh, okay. I hadn't realized that the OP was one of the "I didn't like the answer I received in this thread - so I'll just go start another thread, hoping I'll get a different answer" variety. I'm sorry to have bothered you, Emily.
Its perfectly OK TS, I appreciate the nods. Someone needs to ask this "organic" grower why he/she is so concerned about pH... it almost makes it sound like they are intending to feed out of a bottle since a normal organic grow doesn't even concern itself with pH.

Its perfectly OK TS, I appreciate the nods. Someone needs to ask this "organic" grower why he/she is so concerned about pH... it almost makes it sound like they are intending to feed out of a bottle since a normal organic grow doesn't even concern itself with pH.
Oh, okay. I hadn't realized that the OP was one of the "I didn't like the answer I received in this thread - so I'll just go start another thread, hoping I'll get a different answer" variety. I'm sorry to have bothered you, Emily.
yeah because her response was retarded and unhelpful. Obviously she doesn't know everything about organic gardening no one does.. . And for you tourtured soul application of sulfur and gypsum is a very common practice so get off her dick she ain't all that... She bothered herself trying to act like she knows it all...

Thanks for moderating. The effects were not immidiat and that's why I chose this product because I wanted the gradual overtime decrease of pH in the soil and the increase of calcium towards the end of flower I was hoping
Fundamentally the calcium increase you looking for will be hindered by other ion, cation and anion interactions between your plant, microbes and the composition in your soil.

Back
Top Bottom