Using organic nutrients but growing hydroponically

blackthunder

I am a hydro grower, but I wish to explore using organic nutrients such as fish emulsion, seaweed and the Canna range of organic nutrients.

I am a total novice here, as I have only ever used organics as a supplement to my base chemical fertilizer.

I have noticed that organics can send the Ec levels soaring, as I use beneficial bacteria as well, and they really break down the organic material very quickly.

I think it would be possible using beneficial bacteria and fungi to achieve the same rate of growth when using chemicals, as the organic material is broken down into salts so quickly by the huge numbers of good bugs.

I am a novice when it comes to using only organic nutrients, so any help is greatly appreciated .

The medium I use is a mixture of coco and fytocell;

I grow in 13 gallon containers(52 liter pots).

I hand water the plants.

each container has an air stone resting on expanded clay at the bottom of the pot, and is then covered by the medium, and connected to an air pump.

My questions are:
how does one monitor ec levels using organic nutrients?

Does one feed every watering or every second or third?

Does one have to flush?

Has any one experience using the Canna range of organic nutrients?
Thank you for your help,
happy growing

There are several brands of Nutrients that are OMRI Cerified Organic and hydro ready.
While I have not used Canna nutes if you set up a reservoir and have a Truncheon or Dip Stick measuring EC/TDS will be no problem.
Flushing is important but again this is a personal choice as it affects taste and smoothness of smoke.
+Rep good questions

thank you, Wingman420.
I do have an Ec meter, but I have noticed when I use organics, especially fish emulsion, my Ec levels really rise.
I have noticed this when I flush and measure the in going Ec of the water, against what comes out of the drain holes in the pots;

I am not sure what Ec levels one should have using organics.
My Ec range is between .8 to 1,8 when the plants are in full flower,
this would be too high an Ec using organics, would it not?
Thank you very much for your help,
I really appreciated you going to the trouble to answer my question.
happy growing

Back
Top Bottom