Using something to fill bottom of big pot to use less soil

I am simply using less soil but I am not vegging right now when I do I will use more. I am not going for big I am going for short and stout with heavy frost we will see what happens. Like I said just use less soil. If you look at my pot the soil line is very low only 4 inches of soil. I am in Happy Frog. Sorry about the blurple.

I was about to say, damn i cover a lot more of the main stalk than that, (friend told me its just like their roots in a way, it doesn’t like being exposed, who knows ? Lmao) i put mine pretty close to where the beginning leaves would be, but leave enough space just in case some sinks when watering and i can add more. Some are in veg stage and have been for a couple weeks, wanted to keeep it that way for as long as possible and i have now others that are in atleast week 3 of flowering.. I’m wondering if I’m just not adding enough perlite to my mix. Which I is why i added the ME coco/perlite mix, figured if anything it will help it dry faster. some days i feel as if i need a skype tutor to watch do somethings done hahahah.
There’s someone on YouTube that does do one on ones for a price but damn. Other than this site, the tube, and maybe 3 other sites I’m going at this kinda blindfolded i guess u could say. Stupid i know but its always been my dream and the whole thing fascinates me. :rollit:

149B4DE7-06F4-4418-8EC5-60AB96D11F0D.jpegCBEB30E2-D720-4D9D-9380-E2DA4A95CAB4.jpeg
These are the pots ive been using, there old but they are sturdy as hell. I was only going to cover the bottom 1/2in with it and then the rest soil. I tested it out and it didn’t stop the draining actually seemed to do better. I mean dont people grow in perlite the whole grow and get great results?
I’m just trying to keep the bottom soil from staying wet and causing problems like it has done numerous times. I tried to use Happy frog but didn’t like how it seemed like it was more like a clay, and it became hard for me to tell when it was wet or dry.
Didn’t want to use my clay rocks from when i tried hydro a while, heard of plastic bottles, packing peanuts, etc my way of thinking was that as long as i left enough room betweeen the pieces i cut that the roots could still grow around them if needed,

dont people grow in perlite the whole grow and get great results?

Yes, but that's hydroponics. In soil(ish) grows, they use a certain amount of the stuff to improve drainage/aeration. E.g., if they feel that the soil composition is too dense. That is a different matter altogether than sticking a big item into the container as filler material. Perlite wouldn't have any benefit if it was one big chunk.

And you think that sticking filler items into a larger container, instead, somehow will not?

You cannot break the laws of physics :rofl: .
No filler that the roots couldnt learn to grow around, ive seen my clone do the same thing with perlite.
I did buy one of those upsi daisy thing to try but couldn’t find anywhere exactly how much soil a cannabis plant needs to survive.
Just like growers growling in straight perlite, i cut up them up into small cubes and placed them not even maybe 1/2in at the bottom.
I really dont understand why my way of thinking wouldn’t work. I’m still learning and have been putting my pride aside and asking for help on this site and I’m the type that would rather spend forever doing research rather than actually ask for help because i know how rude and patronizing some can be,

Yes, but that's hydroponics. In soil(ish) grows, they use a certain amount of the stuff to improve drainage/aeration. E.g., if they feel that the soil composition is too dense. That is a different matter altogether than sticking a big item into the container as filler material. Perlite wouldn't have any benefit if it was one big chunk.
It’s not one big piece, there cut up into small pieces with enough room that the roots could grow around or under them, shit maybe i could just drill bigger holes into the pots lmao. Hydroponic and soil are way way different, i really wish I could do it hydro but the weather here makes it more expensive if not damn difficult.

149B4DE7-06F4-4418-8EC5-60AB96D11F0D.jpegCBEB30E2-D720-4D9D-9380-E2DA4A95CAB4.jpeg
These are the pots ive been using, there old but they are sturdy as hell. I was only going to cover the bottom 1/2in with it and then the rest soil. I tested it out and it didn’t stop the draining actually seemed to do better. I mean dont people grow in perlite the whole grow and get great results?
I’m just trying to keep the bottom soil from staying wet and causing problems like it has done numerous times. I tried to use Happy frog but didn’t like how it seemed like it was more like a clay, and it became hard for me to tell when it was wet or dry.
Didn’t want to use my clay rocks from when i tried hydro a while, heard of plastic bottles, packing peanuts, etc my way of thinking was that as long as i left enough room betweeen the pieces i cut that the roots could still grow around them if needed,
If you are only planning on putting in about a 1/2 inch of Styrofoam you would be better off using a soil mix the entire way. Skip the plastic/Styrofoam.

Just a guess based on the pictures and the size of your hand but the pots look like 2 1/2 gallon. Little bit harder to figure it out with ornamental pots versus the traditional landscape and gardener's pots. I am familiar with similar looking pots and the ring of black plastic across the bottom is the built in saucer. It is designed to catch the excess water that runs through and then the soil and plant can reabsorb it over several days.

If you had problems with the soil, especially at the bottom, staying to wet and compacting, you could try popping that saucer off. After that just use a regular inexpensive plastic saucer that would be found in a gardening store or the gardening section of many hardware stores.

Hopefully the longer you are here the less that ego will trip you up like it has been. Be glad you're not the first or the last to discover that about yourself.
Bring up those anecdotes about growing please, it helps to steer you away from 'bro-science' that's just BS ;) in some cases.
Taking all this in at one time, you might want to go with K.I.S.S until you get things worked out with how You, want to grow. Popping clones is meant to be kind of perpetual right? If what you have is working for you, are you just bouncing ideas against the forum? I've seen those turn into half oz and better the same size you have so I seen't it! lol

Back
Top Bottom