Using tech to track plant info and photos

FeloniousPunk

Hi All,

I am looking for a way to track my plants on a computer, phone or tablet. I have dabbled in Excel but there does not seem to be an easy way to add photos. This is really important because I am not the most observant person and quick access to what I've done (nutes, watering etc) with photos at my fingertips would be great.

I am currently using a pen and paper and the photos are either on my phone, on my digital camera or on my computer. Not easy to access plant by plant info.

I don't have a tablet. Do they come with Excel installed? Such a device could put all the tools on one device (camera, excel and photo files) which might be the best way forward.

Thoughts?

Peace. :peace:

You may want to think of security while looking at your options. Most of the spreadsheets are cloud/'net enabled.

I've done the same sort of thing in the past with a database and webserver. Lock down the server on your device so that it can only be accessed locally. It's not an out-of-the-box solution, but can work for you - if you have the skills needed to implement it.

I keep a folder with sub folders for each grow. In the subfolder I keep a folder for pictures, a spreadsheet for nute and watering schedule, and a word file as the diary with embedded photos. The general folder contains related links, articles, etc for growing.

Is that what you are talking about?

Good Morning Old Salt and Calvados,

I hadn't considered the cloud, I assumed there would be space on a tablet. I am wary of the cloud because of the security. That said, I have posted here and elsewhere, so my concerns about security are moderate.

Calvados, that is what I'm talking about, I was just hoping there was a programme that combined all those features into one. I will have to try Word. I could use it for notes and pics and Excel for the schedule.

Thanks,

FP :peace:

Good Morning Old Salt and Calvados,

I hadn't considered the cloud, I assumed there would be space on a tablet. I am wary of the cloud because of the security. That said, I have posted here and elsewhere, so my concerns about security are moderate.

Calvados, that is what I'm talking about, I was just hoping there was a programme that combined all those features into one. I will have to try Word. I could use it for notes and pics and Excel for the schedule.

Thanks,

FP :peace:
Hi. It works well for me. The disk space involved is negligible. You are right about security. If you were the police and you wanted the pothead to incriminate himself, you really couldn't ask for better information. The pictures are a nice touch.
Put it on an encrypted thumb drive, if you're that concerned.

I'm older and really don't care that much. The penalty is not generally enforced and only very occasionally do you hear of someone with a tent being arrested. A guy with a tent in his house never. I'm sure it happens, but I've never heard of it. That said the cops shot and killed some guy last month for running away from a house that they had besieged like something out of the movies. The SWAT team went in through the upper floor Waco style. This being the UK you have to assume bad guys are assaulting the house for reasons unknown. Nobody gets that excited about anything other than terrorism here. A guy growing pot in a tent would not be dealt with like that unless someone high up in the cops had lost their mind. That, however, was their story at the time. I'm sure they were lying through their teeth.

I think this site has much better security than I do. If you keep your journals here, you really don't need to keep them on your laptop.

Back
Top Bottom