Using trim better?

keith1975

I can't smoke as much as I used to. Lungs took a bit of a knock. But I discovered edibles! And I think I might actually prefer it. I would just take some bud, grind it a bit and then bake it for 40 minutes. Then I would just rub it in butter or peanut butter and then chow it down. Not great, but it works if you are in a rush. I want to do this with trim.

1. If my trim is of decent sugar leaves, can I expect a comparable buzz?
2. Is there a better way to quickly and easily make decarbed trim/bud taste better?

Also note, I ordered a device that specifically focuses on decarbing it perfectly, which will hopefully stop any wastage, but I still don't know what is the easiest way to consume a dose then in a delicious way.

Here's a thread on making gummies. You can also make tincture, oil or Canna butter. Tincture is just put it in a jar and cover with everclear, shake it good then put it in the freezer, repeat for a week then strain and put drops under younger. Oil and Canna butter you cook with.

Hey Keiff - My weed is really weak so I decarbed a bunch, then, with mortar and pistil I ground it real fine and mixed with either peanut butter or jam. My ratio was 1:1 and the weed taste is a bit much as I need about 3 teaspoons to get a decent buzz - your ratios will probably be much less. I found that the peanut butter worked best. Took about 1.5 hours to 2 hours to start feeling it. I may be imagining it but it seems the longer it sits the stronger it gets.
My next experiment will be triple or quadruple infusion in coconut oil. The double infused capsules takes 3 to get going. Does this help??

How I decarbed mine is I took all of my trim from when I cut my plants down. Tossed it in the oven on parchment paper for 40 mins at 240 degrees. Then tossed all of that in a crockpot on low with 2 pounds of butter and two cups water. Let that go for 15 hours stirring occasionally. When strained I ended up with 432 grams of actual usable butter. Guess I should have pressed harder to get the other pound of butter. Anyhow I then made cookies and used a bunch of spices including coconut flavor and mint extract. No taste of weed in my cookies. I got 57 cookies from 1/2 the butter and the other 1/2 I filled capsules. I did the math on cannabutter going into my cookies and it was 3.8 grams per cookie. Size 00 capsules are supposed to hold 1 gram. Hence 4 capsules = 1 cookie. And no taste of cannabutter there either. Next time around I plan to decarb the trim and grind it up to a powder. I will mathematically figure out the weight of a 2nd ingredient (sugar) to mix with the decarbed stuff to fill 100 capsules with dry ingredients. I find butter better for cookies but for capsules I think dry is better. 1st time around my butter was warm and a couple capsules melted.

I will mathematically figure out the weight of a 2nd ingredient (sugar)
Hey Ed - what is the purpose of the sugar?? Some people find that the dry weed (I'm guessing decarbed) upsets their stomach - I don't think that ground fine will do this but every one is different.

Hey Ed - what is the purpose of the sugar?? Some people find that the dry weed (I'm guessing decarbed) upsets their stomach - I don't think that ground fine will do this but every one is different.
It's just a filler. I think if I took an ounce of decarbed it might fill 2/3 of the capsules and would make for a very potent high. If each capsule holds 1 gram then 28 grams would fill 28 capsules. I want at least 100 capsules with an ounce. Then I would add in about 72 grams of sugar to make 100 grams total. Doesn't have to be sugar, It could be flour or some other dry ingredient. Thing is I want the pot to be a fine powder for easy and complete dispersion in the dry ingredients.

It's just a filler. I think if I took an ounce of decarbed it might fill 2/3 of the capsules and would make for a very potent high. If each capsule holds 1 gram then 28 grams would fill 28 capsules. I want at least 100 capsules with an ounce. Then I would add in about 72 grams of sugar to make 100 grams total. Doesn't have to be sugar, It could be flour or some other dry ingredient. Thing is I want the pot to be a fine powder for easy and complete dispersion in the dry ingredients.
As for trim vs buds, trichs are trichs just more on the flowers. Since i make edibles for wife i dont even trim the leaves off anymore, just throw it all in the oven.
I fill capsules with decarb all the time and they each hold between 1/4- 1/3 gram of decarb. An ounce will definitely make more than 28 caps unless you're filling horse pills. Instead of sugar you could mix with sunflower lecithin. Another fun thing to make that's easy and not very messy is infused olive oil. The trick for easy cleanup is to use a crockpot liner. Line crockpot, add decarb and a bottle of olive oil, set at low for 4-8 hours, then when done pull the whole liner out, and cut one corner off and pour through a coffee filter into a Mason jar and done! Because you made a funnel with the liner it holds most of the solids in place and you can toss the whole thing once the oil drained off.
Then have fun cooking with it, making salad dressing, etc or my wife's favorite put in a small bowl with herbs and dip bread in it like at bonefish grill. You can rub a little on your gums and feel it pretty fast too!

Mine is really leafy as well - My question for Cough is - do you notice any upset tummy or anything like that?? Do you grind your decarb real fine after??
Nope, the extra fiber seems to help wife's tummy.
After decarbing I grind to powder in food processor and then screen out any stemmy bits with a wire mesh kitchen sifter.

Also forgot to mention that you can decarb shatter with a shorter temp and time in the oven than flower (200° for 20 min) put a little on a toothpick (about half the size of a grain of rice) and suck on it for a very nice buzz. Kind of like an awesome little lollipop LOL.
We don't have an extraction system but tried it with some concentrate we had bought and wife was very sad when it was gone.

Back
Top Bottom