Using UV light for algae reduction?

jimm14

While making my self a new recirc DWC system Ive thought about pump options and there are many with built-in UV lights.

Now i know with DWC when the whole bucket is full of roots algae becomes a risk and then give rise to mass gnat infections.

Is a sealed UV light a good option? or will it kill wanted bacteria? and if so would it still out weigh the benefits of having the bacteria?

Also I always remove any filtering (foam/charcoal etc) inside pond pumps that i use, is this a bad idea? My logic behind it is the plant shouldn't have anything it needs filtered and coco/rockwool fibers block them too fast anyway.

Thanks for any info guys

Jimm

If you are growing organically, I would think you wouldn't want UV. If your not, then it would be helpful.

Algae comes from light hitting the water. If you keep light away from the water, then you won't get algae. But rot root shows up with out light. :/

Filters are ok in the system, as long as you take them out and fully clean them as often as you change your reservoir. For me, too much work, for so little help.

HTH

Back
Top Bottom