Usul's Grow 2.1: Red Cherry Berry, Indoor 250W MH/HPS, 2'x2' ScrOG in soil

How long was the stretch?

Stretch lasted about 25 days and the plants grew from about 10 inches to 25 inches or more (hard to tell with the srcreen). There was a week or so when I had to raise the light every day. Haven't had to raise it for about 10 days now.

wowz usul.. those buds are great lookin.. i would actually run water for the last 3 feedings if it was me. But honestly it really is grower preference.. maybe you can run a control ;)

very nice :goodjob::cheer:

Hmmm, now that's an idea... must think about this some more...

Looking good usul. Those ladies are coming along Nice!

Thanks man ;)

Hey usul!

You mentioned in my thread that you were gonna take some clones.... have you done that yet? You may be a little late, i'm not sure. I took mine at week 3 of flowering if I recall correctly. Have you any candidates for clones as of right now?

Mmmm. look at them frosty girls... how do they smell? Have you given the bud a gentle rub to get the full aroma? mmmmmmmmmm. Some of my flowering clones still have trichs on them, lol.. I love giving them a smell when I'm in there.

peace man!

Here's a pic of the girls at 83 days old, day 36 flower

Given that some trichomes are starting to turn milky and some pistles are starting to turn color I'm thinking harvest at 8 weeks is about right. That means I'll have three more waterings to do. The last will be a clear water flush. I've added nutes to the last two waterings so, should I flush next then feed one more time before the final flush, or should I keep laying on the nutes until final flush? The plants look super healthy and there is perhaps just the slightest indication of nute burn on one leaf of one plant.

Stretch lasted about 25 days

If it took 25 days from the day you flipped your lights for the stretch to end, I'd put the harvest date at 62 (and a half, lol) days. I'd plan on harvesting at lights-on time of day 63 .

Nute burn last third of flowering, I'd back off. Looks like you've got plenty of nitrogen. Maybe do a good full flush (2X-3X capacity), let it dry well, and lightly feed something without much (or any) nitrogen. I would continue to adjust pH of both nutrient mix and any flushing you do as needed.

Hey usul!

You mentioned in my thread that you were gonna take some clones.... have you done that yet?

The idea of doing clones is so tempting but I've realized I have no place to put them. Some day I'll have a larger grow area but it looks like for now I'll be growing from seed.

The plants really do smell great, and I am so happy my carbon filter is keeping up - but just barely. I'm starting to think about making my own filter that I can refill after each grow rather than buy 2 or 3 new filters each year.

If it took 25 days from the day you flipped your lights for the stretch to end, I'd put the harvest date at 62 (and a half, lol) days. I'd plan on harvesting at lights-on time of day 63 .

Nute burn last third of flowering, I'd back off. Looks like you've got plenty of nitrogen. Maybe do a good full flush (2X-3X capacity), let it dry well, and lightly feed something without much (or any) nitrogen. I would continue to adjust pH of both nutrient mix and any flushing you do as needed.

Okay, I'll mark my calendar for harvest at 7:30pm on March 17th! Ha ha! We'll see how it goes. As mentioned earlier, I'm going to do an early harvest then a late harvest so checking the color of the trichomes and watching the color of the pistils will determine when I start chopping.

Feedback so far seems to indicate I should flush at the next watering and that seems wise to me. More soon...

Here's a quick update - not much new to report. The plants got a flush yesterday: calmag+, Hygrozyme and water. Just two weeks left until the expected date for early harvest so it looks like there will be two more waterings - the next one where I'll max the nutes and the final clear water flush. We're done with Hygrozyme and CalMag+ for this grow - they don't smell great and I want 'em out of the plants when it's time for harvest.

I'm going to introduce a few other changes in the final weeks: temperature difference between day and night will be increased somewhat, with the nights getting cooler. I'll also shut down the humidifiers soon and let RH get pretty low - 20 to 30%.

Here are pics of the canopy and the best bud at 87 days old, day 40 flower:

g2_1-d87.jpg

g2_1-d87bud.jpg

Trichomes are mostly clear with just a few hinting at milkiness. Vertical growth has all but stopped and now it's all about the buds. They are plumping at a noticable rate though it's nothing miraculous. No complaints, the plants are looking healthy and things are progressing well.

The drying cabinet, hash-making tools and cannabutter vat await!

Thank you DroJo - I really appreciate your support!

Just thought of one more things to add: an early smoke report. I've been bud-less for a month now and have been smoking the trimmings from these plants a little at a time. Recently, I clipped a small branch that - suprise! - had a nice little bud on top. I popped it in the drying cabinet, turned the fan on high and in three days had a nicely dried mini-bud. I smelled it then... I smoked it. Here's a report on the smoke at six weeks:

Bud: strong aroma of lemon and mint. Smoke: Strong mint tones with a sweet white pine finish. My hypothesis is that the strong volatile flavors - lemon, mint, pine (which are pleasant in a way) are due to the plants young age and that they still have traces of the smelly additives (calmag+ & hygrozyme). The effect is relatively mild, easygoing, slightly uplifting and somewhat shortlived. Looking forward to providing additional reports as we get closer to harvest ;)

Ripening continues...

Looking lovely there Usul! :bravo:

I don't flush myself but with a lot of plants fattening up the last week or two I think flushing too early can cut back your yield. I would feed them light until the trichs start turning a bit amber, then flush thoroughly and feed a little blackstrap molasses to sweeten them up just before harvest.

I've been harvesting mine for a month now. I'm not quite half done and I've got 6 oz dried, a couple more drying and hoping for a pound off the two tubs! Beer Can Betty gets it next then I get going on the other tub that I only took a 1/2 oz off so far. The trichs on that one are just getting amber and it's been 13 weeks flowering. All the big leaves are dying and the bud is all dark purple. Hopefully a good narcotic stone for bedtime. Some of the stuff I have so far is like the Kali. Big head rush and heart pounding start with a little nausea too. Needs to age a bit to settle down the buzz I think.

I bet you're just itching to chop. Take a few little buds off the lower branches. Ya know ya wanna! It won't hurt and will keep you sane. :bong:

C'ya L8r.

:peace:

I bet you're just itching to chop. Take a few little buds off the lower branches. Ya know ya wanna! It won't hurt and will keep you sane.

Oh! I so want to chop some buds. Hang on a minute...

... okay I'm back. Just cut a few of the little popcorn buds on the bottom of the lowest branches. Sticky, gooey and smelly. They are in the drying cabinet getting ready to help keep me sane. God knows I need all the help I can get. Thank you Lab Rat.

Thanks as well for the advice regarding feeding/flushing near harvest. They're going to get a heavy feeding in a few days then we'll see how it goes. I am noticing many more leaf tips turning yellow - just 1mm at the very end of the leaf, and I assume that means we're near maximum nutrient levels. So, after the next big feeding I'll see how the plants respond and either start flushing or go to a light feeding schedule as you've suggested.

BTW, I'm having a great time watching you bring in the harvest on your grow. When you chop Betty it will be a day to remember!

... okay I'm back. Just cut a few of the little popcorn buds on the bottom of the lowest branches. Sticky, gooey and smelly. They are in the drying cabinet getting ready to help keep me sane. God knows I need all the help I can get.

Hey Usul,

Can you not buy some where you live ?
I would have trimmed all the lower buds already if I was you and didn't have any smoke.

I will trade you some Regular for those little popcorn buds! lol

Looking Great !
MJ420:peace:

You'll be feeling much better soon. :bong:

BTW, I'm having a great time watching you bring in the harvest on your grow. When you chop Betty it will be a day to remember!

Put a big X on the 25th of Feb 'cause she's going down first thing in the morning! :Rasta:

I should have a total weight wet and good estimate of her dry weight tomorrow night. I'm guessing 2.5-3 oz dry. Not a lot of popcorn buds on her either and she's hard like morning wood! :rofl:

C'ya

Hey Usul,

Can you not buy some where you live ?
I would have trimmed all the lower buds already if I was you and didn't have any smoke.

It would be so nice if I had a dispensary in my area but I'm somewhat off the beaten path. I could drive three hours to the city and fill my prescription or I could get some medicine locally but I'd have to buy it from criminals. Because I'm not in to supporting gangs and low lifes I'm going to hang in there with my grow and hope for the best. The plants are productive and I think I'll be able to trim as needed until the early harvest comes in - about 12 days from now.

One quick observation: I've dropped night time temps considerably and have noticed the buds are really plumping up. Perhaps it's just a coincidence but it seems to me that increasing the difference between day and night temps near the end of harvest might be a good thing. My temps are currently 63F at night and 77F during the day.

Stay tuned - we're getting close to the big finish...

It would be so nice if I had a dispensary in my area but I'm somewhat off the beaten path.
I could drive three hours to the city and fill my prescription or I could get some medicine locally but I'd have to buy it from criminals. Because I'm not in to supporting gangs and low life's I'm going to hang in there with my grow and hope for the best.

Hey Usul,
I know that there are real criminals out dealing everyday , but at the same time I know a few "dealers" that are great people , one of my best friends is a "dealer" illegally to most of my circle of friends. (Only MJ of course :grinjoint:)

How do you think about people who are not real criminals selling MJ illegally ?
Do you not know any?
Would you just would rather not even mix with that whole illegal scene since we can finally do it legit?
Or Is there even such a thing IYO ?

As always your buds are amazing and frosty !!
Great Job man !

It would be so nice if I had a dispensary in my area but I'm somewhat off the beaten path. I could drive three hours to the city and fill my prescription or I could get some medicine locally but I'd have to buy it from criminals. Because I'm not in to supporting gangs and low lifes I'm going to hang in there with my grow and hope for the best. The plants are productive and I think I'll be able to trim as needed until the early harvest comes in - about 12 days from now.

One quick observation: I've dropped night time temps considerably and have noticed the buds are really plumping up. Perhaps it's just a coincidence but it seems to me that increasing the difference between day and night temps near the end of harvest might be a good thing. My temps are currently 63F at night and 77F during the day.

Man usul: I hear ya. That's one of the biggest reasons I want to produce my own. Props to you brother!

Oh jeeez 12 days?! Where has the time gone!

The drop in nighttime temps has reportedly shown an increase in THC and bud production from what i've read: My "normal" night temps are 10F colder than the day. later in flowering, I make it cooler... maybe as much as 15-18F cooler. (anything too cold i'd save for the last week)

lookin' hot Hot HOT! :bravo:

Also, I wanted to ask:

Are you using any bloom enhancers? I was considering it for my grow: Big Bud from weeks 2-4, and Overdrive for weeks 5&6 (for a 2 week flush)

Are you still using the hygrozyme? Any other additives? I myself am somewhat nervous when It comes to adding things to my res, especially late into bloom. Right now i'm just trying to determine how "organic" BB and OD are. Do -not- want more brown algae.

When do we get more updates? :)

Hey there brother!! I didn't completely fail in hydro, but love soil more!! I'm sure you learned a few things though in dro, so it's really not a complete failure!!! Just read your very first post and wanted to say high before i read through the rest!

Greetings Greenthumb - thanks for checking in! Gotta agree that I like soil better than hydro - things go a bit more slowly and it's a pace I like.

Looking good man ... Im in for sure !

Thanks HazeSeeker! Very happy to have you on board!!

Hey Usul,
I know that there are real criminals out dealing everyday , but at the same time I know a few "dealers" that are great people , one of my best friends is a "dealer" illegally to most of my circle of friends. (Only MJ of course :grinjoint:)

How do you think about people who are not real criminals selling MJ illegally ?
Do you not know any?
Would you just would rather not even mix with that whole illegal scene since we can finally do it legit?
Or Is there even such a thing IYO ?

As always your buds are amazing and frosty !!
Great Job man !

I'm sure there are many really great dealers out there - I just don't know any. When I ask the guys I've worked with in the past what strain I'm buying they look at me like I was from another planet. Man, I'm looking forward to the day I can walk in to a store and choose from hundreds of different strains and price ranges, and drool over the super rare primo bud locked in the glass case going for $1000/oz. It's gonna happen some day, I just hope I'm alive to see it.

The drop in nighttime temps has reportedly shown an increase in THC and bud production from what i've read: My "normal" night temps are 10F colder than the day. later in flowering, I make it cooler... maybe as much as 15-18F cooler. (anything too cold i'd save for the last week)

Thanks for the details on temps! I'm running a temp difference of 13F right now and will keep increasing it as we get closer to harvest.

Also, I wanted to ask:

Are you using any bloom enhancers? I was considering it for my grow: Big Bud from weeks 2-4, and Overdrive for weeks 5&6 (for a 2 week flush)

Are you still using the hygrozyme? Any other additives? I myself am somewhat nervous when It comes to adding things to my res, especially late into bloom. Right now i'm just trying to determine how "organic" BB and OD are. Do -not- want more brown algae.

In addition to the FF nutes I was using Hygrozyme and Cal Mag Plus but have put them away for the rest of this grow - they had a very strong chemical flavor and I want all traces of them out of the plants before harvesting. Not using any bloom enhancers but must say I'm tempted. I use potassium carbonate to up the pH - does that count? ha ha! Still being a newbie I'm trying to keep it simple for this grow but will likely add some more goodies for the next one - probably from the FF line.

Yea, I was thinking about going orgainc but am kind of nervous about it - and I'm growing in soil. If I were doing hydro I'd be petrified.

I'll get a few updated pics posted once I get home from work later today.

More soon!

Also, I wanted to ask:

Do you really start flushing at week 7? The last couple of weeks is when the colas really fatten up and they need food for that. IMHO there is no way that the plant can supply enough food and nutrients for maximum bud growth the last weeks. Plus a lot of nutrients are immobile and can't move to the buds and in hydro the deficiencies would be immediate. I would feed right up to the time I figured they had a week to go to chop, then flush. Then again, I don't flush at all so I'm probably just blowing smoke up your kilt. :rofl:

Back
Top Bottom